Around the League 45: The Stanley Cup is in God's Waiting Room

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Common Oilers L

To anyone in the Oilers organization responsible for this hire I have but one thing to say:
download.jpeg.62fd8e9ff94974f450eeaaaa4f025256.jpeg

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If the Oilers were looking for the best way to destroy all goodwill from their run to the final, that oughta do it.

And if not that, well, this was a very inopportune time for this story to run:

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I still think letting Skjei go was really stupid. But whatever.
I liked Skjei too but clearing out his salary along with other moves assists the cap structure to sign Jarvis to a long-term deal and keep Necas in the fold. Hopefully, we will see some of the defensive prospect assets contribute in '25-'26 and beyond.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Skjei will be interesting to see. We’ve sort of latched onto the narrative that he’ll age so much better than Pesce (which I do think is true), because he looks smooth and cool and healthy when he skates, but he does rely on his athleticism in a way that doesn’t always age well. There’s a world in which the legs degrade and he ends up becoming less effective because of it. Compare to a guy like Guentzel who I do think will age well because he doesn’t really rely on anything much from an athleticism perspective (Williams-esque, Toffoli-esque).

I actually feel perfectly fine about the state of the D both now and moving forward despite losing a very good pairing (and I’m even reminding myself here in July that I won’t like Ghost or Walker until like January when they figure out the system). It’s the lack of oomph in the forward group (as it always, always, always has been) that is the disappointment for me. But, I’m psyched for the group of kids to come in and take a spot or two, and I’m more interested in this upcoming season than I was at this time last season because the range of expectations and expected outcomes is so much wider. We get to watch a newer team this year than at any point in the last 6 years and that’s fun.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
With Konecny out of the picture, Rantanen and Draisaitl almost certainly extending, and the Canes still having a bunch of cap space next year, high-dollar/short-term to the likes of Giroux, Duchene, or Nelson seems like the most plausible way to use it. Maybe the Canes get lucky and someone like Brady Tkachuk requests a trade.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
It’s the lack of oomph in the forward group (as it always, always, always has been) that is the disappointment for me. But, I’m psyched for the group of kids to come in and take a spot or two, and I’m more interested in this upcoming season than I was at this time last season because the range of expectations and expected outcomes is so much wider. We get to watch a newer team this year than at any point in the last 6 years and that’s fun.
While I'm can't say I'm excited for this group, I am intrigued. Assuming that both Necas and Jarvis get their respective deals done, it seems we're missing one LW in our top 6.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
When I saw the rumors coming out this morning, I was definitely crushed. He's not everyone's cup of tea, but I love Marek. Hopefully, it is something good rather than something bad, but we'll see what comes of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad