Around the League 44: The Three Thousand Mile Final

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Yeah looks like Barkov was the true 2OA from Finland. :sarcasm:

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
For those suggesting that Cats are only good because of the Florida tax advantage, attached is an article on how their roster was put together.

Beyond the Tkachuk deal, I'd suggest brilliant GM work in putting the squad together particularly getting Reinhart, Forsling, Bennett for below market compared to production.

They now have a true top shutdown pair in Forsling-Ekblad and their very physical bottom two pairs of Mikkola-Montour and Ekman-Larson-Kulikov only cap costs $1M more than Orlov’s-Chatfield $8.250M.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Interesting comments here. Not sure I completely agree, I think the Panthers just have better playmakers and a goalie who doesn't shit himself at crucial moments
somewhat on the better playmakers point. A goalie that didn't completely shit himself 100%. If Freddy had last years playoff form and we had Pesce we get past the Rangers in 5. Freddy in this years form... was Toronto-esque.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
somewhat on the better playmakers point. A goalie that didn't completely shit himself 100%. If Freddy had last years playoff form and we had Pesce we get past the Rangers in 5. Freddy in this years form... was Toronto-esque.
I'd suggest that their D corps is better than Canes. Their First pair is significantly better (Burns is our weak link) and their bottom two pairs are more playoff oriented (physical/mean) in keeping the opposing team to the outside.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
Florida was +2 5v5 against the Rangers. Carolina was +1.

Florida was +2 on special teams. Carolina was -5.

Why is 5v5 the point of contention?
We weren't any good for contending for that point between +2 and +1.

• Haha
Reactions: geehaad

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'd suggest that their D corps is better than Canes. Their First pair is significantly better (Burns is our weak link) and their bottom two pairs are more playoff oriented (physical/mean) in keeping the opposing team to the outside.
No argument there. I still think last year rather than this year was our best shot, and injuries added to an overly conservative FO derailed it. If we have both Patches and Svech we win that series and give Vegas everything they can handle in the cup. We get Tank even with the injuries and we might have added the piece to put us into the cup final. Instead they f***ed around and found out. This year was the reaction to that but Burns took a step back, Peesh got hurt, and Freddy went full Toronto against the Rangers

We'll take a step back next year but likely be in a better place for it two years from now. FUS, Nadeau, and Morrow with development, hopefully bringing over Boom, and less important positions to fill in FA should give us room to add a couple of real bastards to balance out the D. And that's not including Boom's proclivities there.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I saw someone suggest that we are also missing an "emotional epicenter" "refuse to die quietly" player/leader who can be the difference maker when times are tough and differences between teams are slim..
Thats a garbage take. How many times has this group of core players came back to win games, regular season or playoffs when down and times are tough. In fact I would say them making the rags series go to game 6 after being down 3 zip is proof that take is hot garbage.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Thats a garbage take. How many times has this group of core players came back to win games, regular season or playoffs when down and times are tough. In fact I would say them making the rags series go to game 6 after being down 3 zip is proof that take is hot garbage.
Little strong there. Fwiw I think we could use a little more in this department myself.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
I felt that way about the team 3 years ago...that they could honestly come back from anything because the defense could really turn it up and crush dreams...not as much the last couple. One could ask why were they down 0-3 to begin with given all the experience they had as a collective?

Aho's post-game presser after the loss..the mix of anger and bewilderment..he came across as kinda tired of the excuses and what ifs. I felt like he took more ownership than the coach and some others. So perhaps an epicenter in the making.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I felt that way about the team 3 years ago...that they could honestly come back from anything because the defense could really turn it up and crush dreams...not as much the last couple. One could ask why were they down 0-3 to begin with given all the experience they had as a collective?

Aho's post-game presser after the loss..the mix of anger and bewilderment..he came across as kinda tired of the excuses and what ifs. I felt like he took more ownership than the coach and some others. So perhaps an epicenter in the making.
Yep, I loved hearing those things from Aho because it might help bring more of a sense of urgency to this organization going forward. I know we like keeping a cool head and that we never feel like we are out of it, but that has led us to playing every game in the playoffs like it's the middle of the season only to see the urgency pop up when our backs are against the wall.

That Rangers series plays differently if we played every game like we were a loss from being eliminated. We took too long to turn it on, and it took one bad period to end the year once we did.

Aho will be our next Captain, and it wouldn't be the worst thing if that comes as early as next year.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Little strong there. Fwiw I think we could use a little more in this department myself.

Disagree they dug out of that 3-0 hole against the Rags and they were down 3-0 in game 2 against the Isles and won 5-3. No team regardless of how good they are will come back in every game or every situation but this team consistently comes back when they are up against it and that is in fact a tribute to the player leadership.

,ow we can try and figure out why they came.out flat in game 1 against the Rags, why the special teams sucks in the first few games and why they found a way tolose game 6 in the ³rd and all that's fair. But to say they don't have the leadership to fight their way back into game is just false

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Disagree they dug out of that 3-0 hole against the Rags and they were down 3-0 in game 2 against the Isles and won 5-3. No team regardless of how good they are will come back in every game or every situation but this team consistently comes back when they are up against it and that is in fact a tribute to the player leadership.

,ow we can try and figure out why they came.out flat in game 1 against the Rags, why the special teams sucks in the first few games and why they found a way tolose game 6 in the ³rd and all that's fair. But to say they don't have the leadership to fight their way back into game is just false
I think we did a good job giving them a bit of a scare. I think you can also question why we were down 3-0. Or why we couldn’t win on the road last season. We’ve been close. I do think we’ve been missing an element or two, whether you think that’s leadership or sandpaper. I think this off season is a potential time to maybe do something about that, we’re going to be different no matter what. Florida themselves changed their style a few years ago, which led to them going after Bennett, Tkachuk…arguably Reinhardt. I don’t think we’d go amiss making a move or two in that direction.

Doesn’t really matter if we did or didn’t have “it” this season….as we’re going to be a different team next season. If we had it we probably are losing some and need to reset and if we didn’t here’s a time of change to find some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad