Around the League 43: Playoff Time- Goodbye Buffalo, Goodbye Yzerplan. And Goodbye Yotes, Welcome Utah.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Utah is a f***ing WEIRD state, but it’s MY f***ing weird state. Every time I’ve moved away, the landscape’s brought me back. It’s starting to get pretty pricey, but I can make up for that with a twenty minute drive into unspoiled wilderness. I do get a little possessive over the canyons and the national parks.

Plus, if any fellow Canes fans ever get into a pinch out here or need to find something to do, hit me up and I’ll help however I can. Excited to see y’all come into town this year!!

(Edited to add pictures of my former daily commute for nature tax: Deer Creek reservoir, Provo, and Provo Canyon, all within an hour of SLC)

View attachment 867679View attachment 867683View attachment 867685
I didn’t want to say it but I agree about the weirdness! There’s a really odd vibe around SLC imo, and when I’ve brought others on my trip they usually get what I’m talking about really quick. I completely agree with you, the landscape is mesmerizing and it brings me back every time. If I could find a vibe I clicked with a bit better I’d consider living there over CO. Great pics!

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Well, Boston suddenly made this game interesting.

After only having 8 shots after two periods and being down 3-0, they allow another PP goal to start the 3rd, then score on their 9th and 10th shot.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Fyi

PQ on Directv stream tv is bad again from Boston garden.

However, I switched to Max App on my Roku and my system said game is being broadcast in 4k quality (bruins broadcast in 4k at home). PQ is much better although not fully at 4k quality.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Fyi

PQ on Directv stream tv is bad again from Boston garden.

However, I switched to Max App on my Roku and my system said game is being broadcast in 4k quality (bruins broadcast in 4k at home). PQ is much better although not fully at 4k quality.
Thanks for the tip. Much better picture than YouTube TV.

I’m not sure the NHL likes the precedent of “shove your opponent into their goalie, no goaltender interference.”

And don’t tell me it was insufficient contact, Situation Room. Swayman was moving right when he was knocked into. Completely stopped him from moving over.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Thanks for the tip. Much better picture than YouTube TV.

I’m not sure the NHL likes the precedent of “shove your opponent into their goalie, no goaltender interference.”

And don’t tell me it was insufficient contact, Situation Room. Swayman was moving right when he was knocked into. Completely stopped him from moving over.
I thought when they called it a good goal it might be because they missed the crosscheck and goalie interference had to be directly from contact with an opponent (I won't pretend to know the actual rule). But the call they made is incomprehensible to me. Who the hell have they got working in the situation room in Toronto?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I thought when they called it a good goal it might be because they missed the crosscheck and goalie interference had to be directly from contact with an opponent (I won't pretend to know the actual rule). But the call they made is incomprehensible to me. Who the hell have they got working in the situation room in Toronto?
Toronto not like Boston? Who would have thought

• Haha
Reactions: DaveG and MinJaBen

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I don’t necessarily hate the non call- I’m not 100% sure that the panther player shoved with enough force to send the bruin player flying and it’s not really fair to punish Florida if a Boston player makes a mistake. I also see the logic in saying there was any kind of shove at all, let’s play it safe and say no goal… actually I think this would probably have been the best course of action. But what I don’t see any logic in is that after a review they say Swayman was not impeded. He absolutely was. Like I am baffled how anyone could see the goalie and skater collide like they did and say the goalie had free range of movement

Last edited:

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
I felt like there was a point this season where rod decided he wasn't challenging goalie interference no matter how strong a case there was. This just underlines why that was a fine decision even though there were a couple times i was yelling at the tv to challenge. It's like the league sees the criticism of officiating and decided they really needed to double down.

I just can't believe it happened to boston. And against a fomer southeast division team.

Last edited:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
They need to take the "discretion" out of the goalie interference call. If you touch a goalie in the crease before the puck is there, or you push someone into the goalie in the crease before the puck is there, it is goalie interference. None of the "well, maybe he could have made the save" bullshit. Just if A and B, then C.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
NHL reffing has been dogshit for years. And I'm not at all shocked to see the level of horseshittery ratcheted up in the playoffs during the season where all teams were warned before the season that the league was going to handle "abuse of the officials" far more seriously than they had before. The league wants this kind of controversy. It wants their shit refs to be getting talked about because it is driving engagement with a sport who that is run by a league that doesn't know how to make its own star players more marketable than the WNBA.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
And then to rub it in a bruin backed into the crease and made light contact with Bob who fell backwards like he got hit by a Mack truck and they called a GI penalty. I could have seen the penalty if it came with a matching embellishment on Bob.

I can see inconsistencies across refs but given that they're running these through a central office in Toronto the variations on GI calls astound me.

Edit: if someone got screwed I don't mind that it's Boston, lol.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad