GDT: Around The League 24/25. Preseason ends, the regular season begins!!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
This is clickbait garbage video really but its segue to lets talk about Pettersson. lol

Topic never gets old for me. Its a weird one. Not every day that a player just falls off an absolute cliff like this. The problem is Petterson. Not how he's treated or anything Boudreau suggests (both seem to cry a lot) its just a person in the limelight suddenly failing to deliver and feeling suddenly like he can't. Usually in hockey this happens post draft where a player just cannot make transistion to tough NHL. In those cases we refer to those players as busts. Its odd for a player to have established, and to such a degree that they get ridiculous pay, and then just deflate. Its fascinating how bad Petterson is. I'm not beyond Schadenfreude on this.. Petey sucks never gets old.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
This is clickbait garbage video really but its segue to lets talk about Pettersson. lol

Topic never gets old for me. Its a weird one. Not every day that a player just falls off an absolute cliff like this. The problem is Petterson. Not how he's treated or anything Boudreau suggests (both seem to cry a lot) its just a person in the limelight suddenly failing to deliver and feeling suddenly like he can't. Usually in hockey this happens post draft where a player just cannot make transistion to tough NHL. In those cases we refer to those players as busts. Its odd for a player to have established, and to such a degree that they get ridiculous pay, and then just deflate. Its fascinating how bad Petterson is. I'm not beyond Schadenfreude on this.. Petey sucks never gets old.

I normally don't like reading too much into non-hockey things like this, but just look at the guy. He's a soft, mopey, low energy individual. Seems to meet any sort of challenge to himself with a shoulder shrug and "oh well." You read about athletes that make it all the way, or are even star level talents, but don't really care that much. Just there for the job and the cheque. That screams Pettersson to me. He got his money, so whatever now. You understand why a player like JT Miller (who I hate for the record) has issues playing with this guy.

If I were a Nuck fan (shudder) I'd be steaming mad at this whole situation. He and his agent put his foot down the entire negotiation to the point where they had to threaten to deal him to get him to sign, then he goes ahead and plays like garbage literally the moment he put pen to paper. It's almost like he knew that this was going to be the outcome once the big deal landed, and he would have preferred it be a place other than Vancouver where the embarrassing "let's go Petey!" shrieks are going to turn into "get the f*** out Petey!" shrieks pretty quickly here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I normally don't like reading too much into non-hockey things like this, but just look at the guy. He's a soft, mopey, low energy individual. Seems to meet any sort of challenge to himself with a shoulder shrug and "oh well." You read about athletes that make it all the way, or are even star level talents, but don't really care that much. Just there for the job and the cheque. That screams Pettersson to me. He got his money, so whatever now. You understand why a player like JT Miller (who I hate for the record) has issues playing with this guy.

If I were a Nuck fan (shudder) I'd be steaming mad at this whole situation. He and his agent put his foot down the entire negotiation to the point where they had to threaten to deal him to get him to sign, then he goes ahead and plays like garbage literally the moment he put pen to paper. It's almost like he knew that this was going to be the outcome once the big deal landed, and he would have preferred it be a place other than Vancouver where the embarrassing "let's go Petey!" shrieks are going to turn into "get the f*** out Petey!" shrieks pretty quickly here.
I lol at the bolded. Yep, same as me. Would be hard to watch this mope skating around listlessly being depressed at making 11M bucks thinking about how much he could buy at Ikea..

"Lets go Petey" I won't forget those chants, or that it led to nothing. This is the guy that Nucks fans were saying is better than Draisaitl. Some other media dopes were saying the same.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I lol at the bolded. Yep, same as me. Would be hard to watch this mope skating around listlessly being depressed at making 11M bucks thinking about how much he could buy at Ikea..

"Lets go Petey" I won't forget those chants, or that it led to nothing. This is the guy that Nucks fans were saying is better than Draisaitl. Some other media dopes were saying the same.

When I was at Game 6 I mockingly shrieked "Let's Go Petey!" every time he touched the puck, which usually resulted in him falling over at some point. One Nuck fan turned around and said "you don't have to say it like....that" lol. The most embarrassing thing I've ever heard chanted in North American pro sports.

• Haha
Reactions: TB12 and Drivesaitl

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The players will never agree to longer OTs during the regular season.

Idk if they'd agree to longer OT's or not, but there have been more players addressing their dislike for the shootouts.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
When I was at Game 6 I mockingly shrieked "Let's Go Petey!" every time he touched the puck, which usually resulted in him falling over at some point. One Nuck fan turned around and said "you don't have to say it like....that" lol. The most embarrassing thing I've ever heard chanted in North American pro sports.
That Nucks fans unironically calling him Petey too, like as if he's a kid, was especially lol material. surprised they didn't start going Please please go Petey

Nucks have been good for a laugh for over 50yrs now. Even before the internet people would line up to mock that club and their lol uniforms. I think the Cannots were invented for parody.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Idk if they'd agree to longer OT's or not, but there have been more players addressing their dislike for the shootouts.

Lately it seems to be a bit different with OTs ending in a goal but it was getting to the point where it seemed clubs would just rope a dope the 5mins and play through being careful not to give up major chances or any oddman situations. Or maybe thats just the look when teams play McDrai and Booch in extra time. If teams are just going to rope a dope I don't know that 10mins of it would be better than 5.

Heres a random Idea. 5mins of OT followed by 3 mins of No D allowed OT, then 2 mins of no goalie allowed OT if game hasn't been decided. Would be unorthodox, trippy, but pretty interesting.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Lately it seems to be a bit different with OTs ending in a goal but it was getting to the point where it seemed clubs would just rope a dope the 5mins and play through being careful not to give up major chances or any oddman situations. Or maybe thats just the look when teams play McDrai and Booch in extra time. If teams are just going to rope a dope I don't know that 10mins of it would be better than 5.

Heres a random Idea. 5mins of OT followed by 3 mins of No D allowed OT, then 2 mins of no goalie allowed OT if game hasn't been decided. Would be unorthodox, trippy, but pretty interesting.

I think adding a rule where the team that has the puck cannot skate back towards the center of the ice at the faceoff dot or at least at their blue line.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I guess I don't get it, and probably because I despise hosted broadcasts with all the talking heads and analysis and all the commercials. If I want to see a bunch of games I just head to the Game in 5mins or 10mins options on Youtube or other outlets. Takes me right to the highlights and seeing the action which is all I want. Not sure what I'm missing in the concept. I can't watch what you guys are speaking of because I don't have those subscriptions. Any clips of what it looks like?

OT but when are NHL games (ANY) ever going to be actual 4k and not just upgraded regular HD? Keep waiting for this. probably 10yrs lol. Hardly any content on either TSN or SN 4K channels is actual 4K. Oh well.
They're leaning into casual fans, new prospective fan market with a promotion essentially a product sampling that leverages dead air space in North American sports entertainment market to showcase the game. It's not aimed at established NHL fans who have their team they follow deeply or converted aficionados who seek out league highlights and game watching.

The League's big money profit motivation imperative is growing NHL within the huge and lucrative U.S. market but within a highly lucrative but ultra competitive sports entertainment market and extending further into established and/or lucrative international markets.

For context of the market size the NHL competes within, in at least one non-qualified source I've seen the U.S. Spectator Sports Market is cited as generated a revenue of USD 50.4 billion in the current year (2023) and is poised to register a CAGR of greater than 6% during the forecast period. The NHL share of this market is minuscule as a niche, secondary sport.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

uh, Connor. If you blow the zone at the 4 minute mark when the other team has control, you probably don’t get to 10 minute mark.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I think adding a rule where the team that has the puck cannot skate back towards the center of the ice at the faceoff dot or at least at their blue line.
This though would have the unintended consequence of disabling the team with the puck. Would give advantage to team not having the puck. If you see it through this wouldn't work and wouldn't reward offensive play in OT. It Would select and favor defense and counter. The ruling would AID counter strategy.

I think my idea of no D after 5mins is more interesting. We might see Rovers in NHl again. heh

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
That Nucks fans unironically calling him Petey too, like as if he's a kid, was especially lol material. surprised they didn't start going Please please go Petey

Nucks have been good for a laugh for over 50yrs now. Even before the internet people would line up to mock that club and their lol uniforms. I think the Cannots were invented for parody.
Miller and "Petey went at it yesterday at practise lol

"It wasn't just the scuffle, but it was the words after where Miller allegedly called Pettersson a baby at the end of it.."
@FarhanLaljiTSN
on what he made of the battle between Pettersson and Miller yesterday.

Please lead to some locker room discourse. Bring back the cancer that is JT Miller

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
This though would have the unintended consequence of disabling the team with the puck. Would give advantage to team not having the puck. If you see it through this wouldn't work and wouldn't reward offensive play in OT. It Would select and favor defense and counter. The ruling would AID counter strategy.

I think my idea of no D after 5mins is more interesting. We might see Rovers in NHl again. heh

Anything to take away the snoozefest shootout works for me.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
uh, Connor. If you blow the zone at the 4 minute mark when the other team has control, you probably don’t get to 10 minute mark.
The other Connor was responsible for the tying goal with 6mins left. Without which we get 2pts. Connor Brown another Oilers were not even back in ownzone by the time Dallas scored on an odd man rush. With Oilers having the lead.

The play was terrible by McD. But he's a production guy going at what he figured was going to be a reversal (not sure how he thought that) but Connor Brown being a scrub that never scores here its ridiculous him goal sucking and pressuring far too deep with a one goal lead late in a game. The only reason Connor is here is he's supposed to be sound 200ft veteran. Other than pk he isn't giving us anyzone play. He seemed to play with spirit for a couple games now back to doing nothing and even costing the club a point.

"It wasn't just the scuffle, but it was the words after where Miller allegedly called Pettersson a baby at the end of it.."
@FarhanLaljiTSN

Please lead to some locker room discourse. Bring back the cancer that is JT Miller
I feel dirty almost wanting to like JT Miller for this. haha I want video! heh

Reactions: brentashton

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010

The “let’s go Petey” was fantastic because he took a penalty while they were chanting and it created a new slogan around my buddies, “Atta go Petey”.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Anything to take away the snoozefest shootout works for me.
Strange how NHL took the concept of penalty shots which typically is high drama and made it less interesting. Would be better if you lined up 5 players each team at opposing blueline line and each team takes turns facing opposing goalie. Rather than the delays starting each shooter at center ice. My
system whole shootout would elapse in a minute, if that. Could even have it time clocked where each team has a collective 30 sec clock to get the shots off.

Who am I kidding. NHL wants the shootout to last 10mins so viewers have to stick around a longer time slot.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Strange how NHL took the concept of penalty shots which typically is high drama and made it less interesting. Would be better if you lined up 5 players each team at opposing blueline line and each team takes turns facing opposing goalie. Rather than the delays starting each shooter at center ice. My
system whole shootout would elapse in a minute, if that. Could even have it time clocked where each team has a collective 30 sec clock to get the shots off.

Who am I kidding. NHL wants the shootout to last 10mins so viewers have to stick around a longer time slot.
Only thing missing from the bolded is a cringe ass analyst or host to make terrible jokes.
The NHL would find both to be appealing to fans!

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The other Connor was responsible for the tying goal with 6mins left. Without which we get 2pts. Connor Brown another Oilers were not even back in ownzone by the time Dallas scored on an odd man rush. With Oilers having the lead.

The play was terrible by McD. But he's a production guy going at what he figured was going to be a reversal (not sure how he thought that) but Connor Brown being a scrub that never scores here its ridiculous him goal sucking and pressuring far too deep with a one goal lead late in a game. The only reason Connor is here is he's supposed to be sound 200ft veteran. Other than pk he isn't giving us anyzone play. He seemed to play with spirit for a couple games now back to doing nothing and even costing the club a point.

I feel dirty almost wanting to like JT Miller for this. haha I want video! heh
Agreed. You maybe don’t need OT if that play by CB (and you know we agree on Brown’s lack of usefulness) didn’t happen, but it did and they were in OT and thus why poor D play gets magnified.

The Connor I referred to “cheated” at a very inopportune moment. Superstar scorers will cheat, that’s partly how they put up point totals that other, mere mortals, can’t touch. I get that. But 3 on 3 and you don’t have puck control is not the time to blow the zone. I guess I expect more from him. :)

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

@FarhanLaljiTSN

I can't stand JT Miller and I think he's a baby himself, but I don't think he's the one in the wrong here. Miller works hard, is the heartbeat of that team, and is producing, while Pettersson is moping around cashing cheques.

If I was busting my ass all over the ice and I came back to the bench to see him sitting there with shoulders slumped and a narcoleptic demeanour I would probably rip into him too.

Death, taxes, and the Nucks having the softest skilled Swedish player(s) imaginable as their feature player. Naslund, the Sedins, now Pettersson gets to carry the torch.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Agreed. You maybe don’t need OT if that play by CB (and you know we agree on Brown’s lack of usefulness) didn’t happen, but it did and they were in OT and thus why poor D play gets magnified.

The Connor I referred to “cheated” at a very inopportune moment. Superstar scorers will cheat, that’s partly how they put up point totals that other, mere mortals, can’t touch. I get that. But 3 on 3 and you don’t have puck control is not the time to blow the zone. I guess I expect more from him. :)
We're agreed on both Connor instances. hehe

Brown one seems to get unconditional regard here. If he ever does anything in a shift ever its high fives in the GDT and PGT. Fact of the matter is he's contributing very little, and this is the 2nd go around, and this is him being healthy Brown etc. Seems like just a talker to me. laughed at his faux stick breaking after the goal as well. Like he has to pretend his being caught up ice is just bad luck, bad break or something. No, it was avoiding doing the one job you have Connor Brown. limiting GA. Its not like he's getting any GF. The guy cost us a point. Wonder if anybody else mentioned it.

Last edited:
Reactions: brentashton

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
They're leaning into casual fans, new prospective fan market with a promotion essentially a product sampling that leverages dead air space in North American sports entertainment market to showcase the game. It's not aimed at established NHL fans who have their team they follow deeply or converted aficionados who seek out league highlights and game watching.

The League's big money profit motivation imperative is growing NHL within the huge and lucrative U.S. market but within a highly lucrative but ultra competitive sports entertainment market and extending further into established and/or lucrative international markets.

For context of the market size the NHL competes within, in at least one non-qualified source I've seen the U.S. Spectator Sports Market is cited as generated a revenue of USD 50.4 billion in the current year (2023) and is poised to register a CAGR of greater than 6% during the forecast period. The NHL share of this market is minuscule as a niche, secondary sport.
Appreciate the explanation but a cost benefit analysis should be done in what the NET advantage is of doing what the NHL is doing having 16 games on one night and 1 or nothing the next. Any negligible increase in views doing this, and perhaps growing viewership has the flipside COST in losing viewers who every 2nd night find that no NHL is on and just stop watching and start watching something else.

As an entertainment business strategy its inane to LIMIT your product in prime time hours. To only be available 3-4 nights instead of 7. That this makes any sort of sense to the NHL is arguably why the NHL is so poor at marketing and growing game. They are not even good at strategies to retain viewership. Its a strange approach to favor non viewers over established viewers. It seems this is what the NHL is doing as I stare at no, or just 1 game games on multiple nights a week.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Appreciate the explanation but a cost benefit analysis should be done in what the NET advantage is of doing what the NHL is doing having 16 games on one night and 1 or nothing the next. Any negligible increase in views doing this, and perhaps growing viewership has the flipside COST in losing viewers who every 2nd night find that no NHL is on and just stop watching and start watching something else.

As an entertainment business strategy its inane to LIMIT your product in prime time hours. To only be available 3-4 nights instead of 7. That this makes any sort of sense to the NHL is arguably why the NHL is so poor at marketing and growing game. They are not even good at strategies to retain viewership. Its a strange approach to favor non viewers over established viewers. It seems this is what the NHL is doing as I stare at no, or just 1 game games on multiple nights a week.

The NHL has been afraid of their own shadow when it comes to scheduling games forever. I wonder if the fact that and Oilers/Panthers SCF was a ratings bonanza despite being a poor ratings matchup on paper opened their eyes at all.

They tried promoting the "Wednesday Night Rivalry" series for a while, but none of these games were rivalry games, just more of the big market teams that guarantee them a certain ratings level. You would get Penguins @ Devils promoted as a rivalry game, for example.

If they actually had intriguing matchups every night regardless of market, I think it would definitely resonate with the real fans knowing that there is a good game featured every Wednesday, but also attract new fans because those are legitimately good games. Oilers vs. Nucks for example would be a great game to feature North America wide, but the NHL is simply too afraid to try it.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
I can't stand JT Miller and I think he's a baby himself, but I don't think he's the one in the wrong here. Miller works hard, is the heartbeat of that team, and is producing, while Pettersson is moping around cashing cheques.

If I was busting my ass all over the ice and I came back to the bench to see him sitting there with shoulders slumped and a narcoleptic demeanour I would probably rip into him too.

Death, taxes, and the Nucks having the softest skilled Swedish player(s) imaginable as their feature player. Naslund, the Sedins, now Pettersson gets to carry the torch.
Oh I get it. He is going Messier on Petey. Sometimes you need to push your guys hoping it gives them a kick in the a**

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The NHL has been afraid of their own shadow when it comes to scheduling games forever. I wonder if the fact that and Oilers/Panthers SCF was a ratings bonanza despite being a poor ratings matchup on paper opened their eyes at all.

They tried promoting the "Wednesday Night Rivalry" series for a while, but none of these games were rivalry games, just more of the big market teams that guarantee them a certain ratings level. You would get Penguins @ Devils promoted as a rivalry game, for example.

If they actually had intriguing matchups every night regardless of market, I think it would definitely resonate with the real fans knowing that there is a good game featured every Wednesday, but also attract new fans because those are legitimately good games. Oilers vs. Nucks for example would be a great game to feature North America wide, but the NHL is simply too afraid to try it.
For sure. But Nucks Oilers might sell more to a Western Canadian crowd. Theres Eastern viewers that wouldn't even know half our lineup. NHL Has developed kind of an East West interest problem kind of cutting off cross conference interest. Not sure why its happened that way as schedule is interlocking but I fall victim to it as well. I will watch pretty much any WC game over an EC game. I just stopped caring about most of the EC clubs. I think having only confernce playoff play might be a mistake for the NHL. It kind of lends itself to conference specific interest. Thats a whole other topic but I cared more about East Conference when playoffs was fully interlocking based on 1-16th placings. Without which we'd never have gotten to see Oilers Habs series etc.

TBH Devils vs Penguins might be a rivalry but I wouldn't watch. Dallas vs Colorado I would watch. I would watch Boston play Leafs if guaranteed that Boston wins. ;) (anybody but leafs)

I miss seeing Habs vs Nordiques. That was always something to see. There was a natural rivalry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad