GDT: Around The League 24/25. Preseason ends, the regular season begins!!

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
1729219732440.png

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
How are posters going to twist this as a bad thing? This is looking like a disaster for the Oilers.
Small sample size.
I remember one of his SHL seasons. I think his last one, he had a bunch of points to start the season had good ice time and then by the end of the season he was the clear cut #6 and was doing nothing. Points are better than no points but 5 games is just that. 5 games.

Reactions: McHelpus

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
1.075 PDO with a sub 45 xGF% and a sub 35 HDCF%. Basically the same as the playoffs, just this early season his goalies been making saves and in the playoffs the Oilers scored every 5th shot with him on the ice.

Yup, it “looks bad” with the eye test, and even then, two assists were “phantom assists” that had nothing to do with the play.

Of course, even with the advanced stats showing him as a Cinderella player (again), it could continue to be the case in actuality

I imagine he’s getting zoomed as well with the lack of depth on LD, so playing with the best players would help, usually.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
even then, two assists were “phantom assists” that had nothing to do with the play
The one today was definitely nice though. I’m sick of Broberg to be honest. I’m a fan of the Oilers. Obviously I don’t support players who actively work to leave the team. Same issue I had with Yakupov and Puljujarvi and their many trade requests. Don’t want to wear the sweater of one of the most glorious franchises in the league? OK, f*** you. I hope you play out your career in ignominy in St. Louis. I won’t waste my time posting about this player again.

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Small sample size.
I remember one of his SHL seasons. I think his last one, he had a bunch of points to start the season had good ice time and then by the end of the season he was the clear cut #6 and was doing nothing. Points are better than no points but 5 games is just that. 5 games.
he was trusted enough to play in OT and delivered...also played 22 minutes

"just 10 games" was said in the playoffs
now it's "just 5 games" this year

obviously won't continue to put up points at this rate but the kid is getting better and better

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
he was trusted enough to play in OT and delivered...also played 22 minutes

"just 10 games" was said in the playoffs
now it's "just 5 games" this year

obviously won't continue to put up points at this rate but the kid is getting better and better
And was still 4th on the team in ice time for defenders.
Yes it was 10 games in the playoffs where he had awful metrics and didn’t actually play all that well.
He is getting all the chances to do well and that’s good for him, but 5 games hell 15 games is an incredibly small sample size. And when in that sample size all the numbers point to him not playing all that well, of course people are going to say there needs to be more of a sample.

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
And was still 4th on the team in ice time for defenders.
Yes it was 10 games in the playoffs where he had awful metrics and didn’t actually play all that well.
He is getting all the chances to do well and that’s good for him, but 5 games hell 15 games is an incredibly small sample size. And when in that sample size all the numbers point to him not playing all that well, of course people are going to say there needs to be more of a sample.
the amount of excuses around here to dismiss his play right now is wild, although not surprising
small sample size sure, but if he were doing that here this here...people would be ecstatic

• Haha
Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
the amount of excuses around here to dismiss his play right now is wild, although not surprising
small sample size sure, but if he were doing that here this here...people would be ecstatic
Looking at the same sample size.
McDavid is barely a third liner, Malkin is the best player in the world, Paul Cotter is going to win the rocket and rookie Lane Hutson is going to play half of every game.
You can look at it and go “he looks good at the moment”. But saying “omg fail Oilerzzzz” is ridiculous.

Watched a full Blues game the other day. Focused on Broberg. This stat matches the eye test. Matches what we saw in the playoffs from him too.

That he has been pretty damn lucky with pretty much every other metric showing the opposite?

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
McDavid is barely a third liner, Malkin is the best player in the world, Paul Cotter is going to win the rocket and rookie Lane Hutson is going to play half of every game.
You can look at it and go “he looks good at the moment”. But saying “omg fail Oilerzzzz” is ridiculous.
I literally said it's a small sample size, doesn't make any less impressive

the cope of "but he fancy stats suck!" is tired and lame....he's playing 19:21, producing points and a +4, that is impressive for a guy who's only gonna get better and better with more experience IMO

Reactions: TheNumber4

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

That he has been pretty damn lucky with pretty much every other metric showing the opposite?
Team metrics in a short sample? Nah. Or just watch a game and see that he’s good. You know like how we watched him all playoffs being good?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad