GDT: Around The League 24/25. Captains Skates, Training Camp, Preseason Begins.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
These idiots can't wait 3 minutes to see if something can be verified before trying to get the scoop.
Doesn't even sound like something that would be legit lol
Bruins have screwed up their goaltending needlessly, going from a position of strength with two good tenders to possibly none. Neely just adding more needless fuel to the fire.
Neely just seems to think they can do whatever they want and the players will just do what he tells them.

Servalli mentioned yesterday that Swayman wants 8.5x8 and if Boston truly is willing to over 8x8, why wouldn't you just wait to get the 8.5mil now? Neely is obviously feeling the pressure now

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Doesn't even sound like something that would be legit lol

Neely just seems to think they can do whatever they want and the players will just do what he tells them.

Servalli mentioned yesterday that Swayman wants 8.5x8 and if Boston truly is willing to over 8x8, why wouldn't you just wait to get the 8.5mil now? Neely is obviously feeling the pressure now

Neely's performance yesterday was one of the dumbest things I think I've ever seen an NHL executive do in public. At least over the past 15 or so years. He put himself squarely in this position by dealing Ullmark and not filing for arbitration with Swayman. So now he has no leverage, but wants to take it out on the player and rile up the fanbase against him. This kind of thing blows teams and organizations up.

I'm not sure I wouldn't have fired him immediately backstage if I were Jacobs. A breathtaking example of unprofessionalism and frankly incompetence.

Reactions: joestevens29

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Neely's performance yesterday was one of the dumbest things I think I've ever seen an NHL executive do in public. At least over the past 15 or so years. He put himself squarely in this position by dealing Ullmark and not filing for arbitration with Swayman. So now he has no leverage, but wants to take it out on the player and rile up the fanbase against him. This kind of thing blows teams and organizations up.

I'm not sure I wouldn't have fired him immediately backstage if I were Jacobs. A breathtaking example of unprofessionalism and frankly incompetence.
We've had first hand experience as Oilers fans where a former player's passion and competitiveness doesn't translate well into management roles. Unfortunately for the fans of the franchise, many of these alums have the owner's ear.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Boston fans are sure siding with Neely on this too.

Doesn't help that arbitration wasn't nice to Swayman either. Sounds like Neely and company really pissed Swayman off with some of the comments that happened, which generally happens in arbitration.

But after a rough arbitration then deciding to deal Ullmark before figuring out Swayman is really on the GM.

Boston better hope they can figure this out soon if not they better hope Korpisalo can play real well. Which if Korpisalo does play well could really help Neely out with this whole situation, although the bad blood may still linger.

We've had first hand experience as Oilers fans where a former player's passion and competitiveness doesn't translate well into management roles. Unfortunately for the fans of the franchise, many of these alums have the owner's ear.
I just don't get why Neely has to speak in the first place about this. Very easy to just pass the question to the General Manager.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

The kicker is I don't perceive $8M AAV as a "HOLY SHIT HE TURNED THAT DOWN!?" type number to begin with. $8M AAV is probably a reasonable expectation of where negotiations might end at, but to throw up that number as one that the Bruins stretched to make and Swayman was crazy to turn down is absurd.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
8M is a lot for a guy who’s never been “the guy” and who’s always played in a stout defensive system.

Also, Gross has a history of greasy tactics so I wouldn’t hang this all on Boston management. My guess is that Boston felt things were in a good spot discussion wise with Swayman and they had a good idea of where the number was going to land but once they dealt Ullmark that’s when Gross dug his heels in and said we’re not going any lower then X.

My guess on the situation is that Boston was trying to stick as close to 7 as possible and Swayman side was in the 9 range and now that Ullmark gone they’re digging their heels in at 8.5-9, I’m guessing Boston made that 7.8-8 offer figuring that would get it settled and when they flatly rejected that’s when Neely got mad and shot his mouth off at a presser.

Saros is 7.8, Sorokin is 8.2, Helle is 8.5 so there are plenty of comparables and frankly Swayman doesn’t have the starter resume of any of those guys and I don’t think there’s an argument to be made that he’s better then any of them. He’s certainly not on Helle level and doesn’t deserve to be paid as such.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
8M is a lot for a guy who’s never been “the guy” and who’s always played in a stout defensive system.

Also, Gross has a history of greasy tactics so I wouldn’t hang this all on Boston management. My guess is that Boston felt things were in a good spot discussion wise with Swayman and they had a good idea of where the number was going to land but once they dealt Ullmark that’s when Gross dug his heels in and said we’re not going any lower then X.

My guess on the situation is that Boston was trying to stick as close to 7 as possible and Swayman side was in the 9 range and now that Ullmark gone they’re digging their heels in at 8.5-9, I’m guessing Boston made that 7.8-8 offer figuring that would get it settled and when they flatly rejected that’s when Neely got mad and shot his mouth off at a presser.

Saros is 7.8, Sorokin is 8.2, Helle is 8.5 so there are plenty of comparables and frankly Swayman doesn’t have the starter resume of any of those guys and I don’t think there’s an argument to be made that he’s better then any of them. He’s certainly not on Helle level and doesn’t deserve to be paid as such.

This is exactly it. The only argument he has to get up to and over that range is that with the forecasted cap escalation he is likely to be below market in not too long if his performance continues.

Still a big risk for the Bruins though. If the 8 years is what is driving the AAV up, then it might make a lot more sense for the Bruins to go after a 3/4 year deal at a more reasonable price to see where his game goes with 65+ games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad