GDT: Around The League: 2024 Playoffs Edition Round 2- “Oh, You Didn’t Know? You’re Ass Better Call SOMEBODY!!!!!”

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Lolorado

Oh and Johnston is WAY better than Bourgeault

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Devils fan coming in peace.

With the Devils potentially interested in Woodcroft as coach (or at least fellow Devil fans thinking he, along with Berube are the serious contenders so far), what system would you say Woodcroft plays.

I admittedly don't watch much Edmonton games so, that's why I come here.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018

With the Devils potentially interested in Woodcroft as coach (or at least fellow Devil fans thinking he, along with Berube are the serious contenders so far), what system would you say Woodcroft plays.

You should hope for Berube

Reactions: Drivesaitl

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Jake's updated NHL pic is freaking me out a bit

8477404.png

Used to have a big smile one for the Pens. Now looks like he spent and afternoon on twitter without good filtering for the endless death vids.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Let McDrai do whatever
Let Nurse do whatever

That was the system

Reactions: Oilhawks

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com

All offense all the time. Neutral zone defense, what's that?

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Oh great. We just fired our 'let Hughes do anything' coach too. By that I mean Lindy since I don't consider Travis Green to be a serious coach. (lol Ottawa)
If the Devils do hire woodcroft, you may want to change your username to
Woody’s Power Stance

His posture was a revelation to a couple posters here…

• Haha
Reactions: frag2

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Why would he have fallen that far in the 2021 draft?

What were the drawbacks that scouts saw? He and Mctavish were probably the best 2 forwards in the draft?
He was injured his draft year I think so scouts didn’t get a good look. Coffey got a good look though, he knew the kid his whole life and coached him. But Wright likes to smell his own farts and drafted XB instead.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Of course both the games are on period break at the same time.

Edit: Stars game back on.

Moose112

Dec 9, 2018

I think the people that responded are doing Woodcroft a disservice. He was a great coach in a lot of ways.

He failed to make adjustments in a playoff series against Vegas last year and he failed quite badly at implementing a new d-zone structure early this year and it cost him his job.

But he did do alot of things well. The players talked about how well prepared and meticulous he was. He seemed to work well with his assistant coaches rather than getting in their way. Several young players flourished under his watch, although several others never got the opportunity they deserved.

I personally liked Woody and hope he gets another chance in the NHL, especially with a young up-and-coming team with good offensive talent.

As for systems I know the d-zone was man for most of his time but he tried a switch to zone this year. Neutral zone was I believe a 1-2-2. He coached fairly aggressively and played the hell out of the top players.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

The biggest issue with Woodcroft for me is that when things go off the rails, he doesn’t have a lot of answers.

I also think he over complicates an extensive amount of details within his systems rather than focusing on the most important details. As a result, I think it causes players to overthink rather than just play. Causes errors, confusion, and mistakes when things break down.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think the people that responded are doing Woodcroft a disservice. He was a great coach in a lot of ways.

He failed to make adjustments in a playoff series against Vegas last year and he failed quite badly at implementing a new d-zone structure early this year and it cost him his job.

But he did do alot of things well. The players talked about how well prepared and meticulous he was. He seemed to work well with his assistant coaches rather than getting in their way. Several young players flourished under his watch, although several others never got the opportunity they deserved.

I personally liked Woody and hope he gets another chance in the NHL, especially with a young up-and-coming team with good offensive talent.

As for systems I know the d-zone was man for most of his time but he tried a switch to zone this year. Neutral zone was I believe a 1-2-2. He coached fairly aggressively and played the hell out of the top players.

You may be right on a lot of things but I don’t think he really used his assistants well. The PK was atrocious under him (Mark Stuart was the assistant). Knoblauch gave Stuart the keys to the PK and the PK turned it around. I think it’s a black mark against Woodcroft.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Hey did you guys know Joe McDonnel, the head amateur scout in Dallas, left Hollands Detroit Red Wings to join Dallas. And Holland replaced him with the moron Tyler Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad