Around the League 2024-25 season

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
There’s no goalie in the NHL worth that kind of risk. Even when the elite old guard of goalies were still present it was still risky then. But at this point it’s nice to see the Bruins finally make a big f*** up by locking up some random bum for that kind of a contract. Seems like the bruins have gotten lucky with avoiding big bad contracts. At least they have theirs now.

They've been handing out 6, 7, 8 year contracts to guys in their late 20's for years now.

The Bruins have the 1 Cup, forever ago. They've been close since, but we know close isn't good enough. You either win or you don't. The Bruins are good, but they don't win. They're not rebuilding to actually win, so the guys that go/stay there now want to get paid if they're not going to win.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

Shesterkin turns 29 in a few months BTW.

That means he'll be 30 in the first year of his next contract.

I think Ranger fans should be happy he rejected the offer.
If he’s rejected that, you’d have to think it’s not just a financial decision. I can’t see a contender paying a goaltender close to that and why would a building team do so. So I guess I’m asking, does this mean he wants out of NY?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If he’s rejected that, you’d have to think it’s not just a financial decision. I can’t see a contender paying a goaltender close to that and why would a building team do so. So I guess I’m asking, does this mean he wants out of NY?

He's just got all the leverage. The Rangers aren't going to trade him, unless they suck this year. He's going to get paid, unless he sucks this year. Since neither of those is likely, why sign now? Draisaitl just got $14m, but most in signing bonuses, and a good chunk up front. Not the same position, but we don't know the details of the contract. Is it base salary or signing bonus? Is it more front loaded, or more equal along all 8 years?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If you're NYR, I think you just let him walk at the end of the season.

You won't get much for him in a trade IMO, and you're trying to contend this season.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Goalie market finallly got reset imo

Ullmark and Swayman deals are good benchmarks

What Shesterkin was offered is less by % of cap than...was it Bob or Vas? So it's still not technically the highest goalie contract ever. But pretty sure that's what he's pushing for and he has the record to back it up. Goalies typically age well, their primes are more 27-37 where skaters are more typically 23-33 (asspull #s, approximate)

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
they keep saying its a new franchise.. its not right? its just owner change and relocation of an existing franchise
On paper, they're an expansion team that had the expansion fee waived, and they bought Phoenix's roster for essentially the same amount of money. That's totally different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad