HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
1728996894550.png

Weird standings.

other than the Sabres.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Would you give a late 1st. and a 3rd. round pick for a second line center?

Kotkaniemi

'Canes have him centering the 2nd. line.

I'd give a late first and 3rd pick for a legitimate second line center.

Is Kotkaniemi a legitimate second line C though? 12:59 in ice time per game last year, and 27 points. That's third line C type stats... at best, especially for the cap hit at $4.8 mil. The year before he had 43 points, but even that is a bit short for a 2C. The world keeps waiting for him to breakout, but if he is sub 0.5PPG again this year, is it time to acknowledge that his once thought of potential won't be realized?

One of the bigger challenges, is there aren't any great UFA options either in 2025, or 2026 UFA classes for C. Most are mid-thirties, and not a lot of quality. You look at it, and realize that even deadline deals, there aren't going to be many teams moving quality guys, that you might be able to extend, as they just aren't becoming UFA's. Now a guy with term??

Our best long-term bet, might just be to move up in the draft in 2025 somehow, and pickup a McQueen, or Misa..... it could be a good long-term move, because I don't see many other options right now.

If we had moved Marner last year, there might have been some options, but that ship has sailed.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Marner 14 AAV x 1.
Line up McDavid and Marner UFAs.
Woll + Marner for McDavid.

Promise McDavid he can sit on the MLSE board (2 million a year) until he's 100.

== edit ==
I know he's not coming.
I don't even want him.

1% chance, especially if there is huge regression with the Oilers (Bad Goaltending).

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'd give a late first and 3rd pick for a legitimate second line center.

Is Kotkaniemi a legitimate second line C though? 12:59 in ice time per game last year, and 27 points. That's third line C type stats... at best, especially for the cap hit at $4.8 mil. The year before he had 43 points, but even that is a bit short for a 2C. The world keeps waiting for him to breakout, but if he is sub 0.5PPG again this year, is it time to acknowledge that his once thought of potential won't be realized?

'Canes only played 1 game ... who knows ... and have lined him up 2nd. chair in practice.

Maybe their other guys are too young or too old?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
'Canes only played 1 game ... who knows ... and have lined him up 2nd. chair in practice.

Maybe their other guys are too young or too old?

Plenty of teams have had substandard players, play above who they are... it's been one game so far... It wouldn't shock me to see him bumped back, with Jarvis and Aho playing ahead of him. Last year, all three of Jarvis, Aho, and Staal had more playing time than Kot.... Staal is getting older obviously and someone needs to step up as a C. It would be good for them if Kotkaniemi can step up, but it's more probably that Jarvis will be tried, when this doesn't work out for them. We will see though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad