Around the League - 2024-2025

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
I'm not sure what's so hard for people to understand. Ownership has committed to doing what they can to try and give Crosby at chance at winning.

Everyone involved knows the team isn't very good, but they're trying to do what's right by their captain who will retire in the next couple years as an all time great.

Is it a mistake in the sense of long term success, of course. But sometimes that's what the team feels is the right thing to do.
Maybe so but they have missed the playoffs in two straight seasons while that core is 3 years older with no good young talent to help them.

Just because they feel it’s the right thing do, doesn’t necessarily mean that it really “is” the right thing to do.

I don’t see what they’ve done to give Crosby a better chance at winning.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Maybe so but they have missed the playoffs in two straight seasons while that core is 3 years older with no good young talent to help them.

Just because they feel it’s the right thing do, doesn’t necessarily mean that it really “is” the right thing to do.

I don’t see what they’ve done to give Crosby a better chance at winning.
Sure, like said, they know they're not good. But they want to try for Crosby so this is where they are.

Lack of assets, low cap space, aging core. High risk moves (Karlsson), fast tracking what prospects they have (McGroarty) and hope they catch lightning in a bottle.

Reactions: BallardEra

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
I'm not sure what's so hard for people to understand. Ownership has committed to doing what they can to try and give Crosby at chance at winning.

Everyone involved knows the team isn't very good, but they're trying to do what's right by their captain who will retire in the next couple years as an all time great.

Is it a mistake in the sense of long term success, of course. But sometimes that's what the team feels is the right thing to do.

I'm glad Dubas is doing the "right thing" over there and not here.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Pens owners: “Can you build a cup winning team with the aging group anchored by Crosby and Malkin?”

Dubas: “We can and we will”

• Haha
Reactions: supermann_98

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Is there a more depressing organization in sports than the Buffalo Sabres? Maybe the Cleveland Browns? Holy crap are they bad! Haven’t made the playoffs in 13 years and they still look like a lottery team lol wow. 0-3 with a grandpa behind the bench and a GM who clearly isn’t qualified to have the job

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Is there a more depressing organization in sports than the Buffalo Sabres? Maybe the Cleveland Browns? Holy crap are they bad! Haven’t made the playoffs in 13 years and they still look like a lottery team lol wow. 0-3 with a grandpa behind the bench and a GM who clearly isn’t qualified to have the job
Buffalo will compete with Montreal for last in the division, and both will be competing for last overall.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
It's tough, what do you even do if you're the Sabres? Is it time to package some prospects or young players and go after a more established marquee type player? Who is even available?

You look back at their roster from when they last made the playoffs, and most of those guys don't even play hockey anymore. Tyler Myers might be the only one. Woof.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
It's tough, what do you even do if you're the Sabres? Is it time to package some prospects or young players and go after a more established marquee type player? Who is even available?

You look back at their roster from when they last made the playoffs, and most of those guys don't even play hockey anymore. Tyler Myers might be the only one. Woof.
Biggest thing I think they need is a competent GM, and a good hard nose coach. They have a lot of talent, but all they know how to do is lose. They don't know how to win. Byram coming from the Avs to there and in the first game having a WTF moment with their PP tells it all.

A coach like Torts would do that org wonders.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Biggest thing I think they need is a competent GM, and a good hard nose coach. They have a lot of talent, but all they know how to do is lose. They don't know how to win. Byram coming from the Avs to there and in the first game having a WTF moment with their PP tells it all.

A coach like Torts would do that org wonders.
Under appreciated aspect of winning is having done it. There's a reason good teams tend to stay good, and bad teams tend to stay bad, often longer then they should on paper.

I also look at that defense, and while there's a ton of talent, young D, even elite young D make more mistakes then people like to admit. Not just mistakes either, they often don't "cheat" nearly as much as a vet does and knows how to get away with.

If I were them I would have went really hard for Tanev. Like stupid money for what he is just to be an example for Dahlin/Power/Samuelsson/Byram.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad