Around the League - 2022-23 Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I won't make that excuse. In the early days of the Shanaplan the goal was to be the next Chicago Blackhawks. To be the best, we have to beat the best.
I agree with this sentiment but comparing a fastened rebuild of the devils and all means you have to put it in equal grounding and it's not the same IMO.

Yea my opinion as we would be the next Blackhawks but atm I think ill just be happy with a cup before I can wish for something like that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I agree with this sentiment but comparing a fastened rebuild of the devils and all means you have to put it in equal grounding and it's not the same IMO.

Yea my opinion as we would be the next Blackhawks but atm I think ill just be happy with a cup before I can wish for something like that.

I'd expect New Jersey to run into some real growing pains as well, but I do give them credit for beating the Rangers, which is a team I think the younger Matthews era Leafs would have had some issues against. Also, Hughes and Hischier aren't even quite as young as our core back in 2017 and 2018. Hischier is 24. Hughes is in Year 4 of his career.

We were relying on guys like Matthews, Nylander and Marner to compete and they were all around Matthew Knies age now. They definitely exceeded expectations and then fell behind schedule.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

I think any rebuild wants to be the Hawks 2.0, I mean who wouldn’t. Devils also got lucky with signing Hamilton and getting two 1st overall picks in three years. Just imagine if we had the 1st overall pick in Willie’s draft and drafted Drai. Or Pietra was available in the off-season where we signed JT or the year before that where we signed Marleau and Hainsy.

I agree with you that, it doesn’t matter when and how you get there as long as you get there.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
I won't make that excuse. In the early days of the Shanaplan the goal was to be the next Chicago Blackhawks. To be the best, we have to beat the best.
That ship sailed away when Hunter dropped the ball with the drafting. Blackhawks won because they drafted really well, even before Toews and Kane. It was deep group of talent including Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson etc. drafted outside of first round and well before their real rebuild started. We got our top players from those early drafts, but couldn't get any solid late round picks in "Hunter era".

Environment in the league was also different, since most of the teams had to gut their team, because of the salary cap and they didn't have that young players base waiting. It was easier to build trough draft and become good in a few years. Now there are "copycats" everywhere in different stages of rebuilds. Buffalo has been in rebuild for over a decade and Edmonton ran into some problems, when they couldn't draft outside of first round.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
That ship sailed away when Hunter dropped the ball with the drafting. Blackhawks won because they drafted really well, even before Toews and Kane. It was deep group of talent including Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson etc. drafted outside of first round and well before their real rebuild started. We got our top players from those early drafts, but couldn't get any solid late round picks in "Hunter era".

Environment in the league was also different, since most of the teams had to gut their team, because of the salary cap and they didn't have that young players base waiting. It was easier to build trough draft and become good in a few years. Now there are "copycats" everywhere in different stages of rebuilds. Buffalo has been in rebuild for over a decade and Edmonton ran into some problems, when they couldn't draft outside of first round.
Yep. They had a massive accumulation of prospects, and continued to draft pieces throughout, while we depleted our entire prospect pool at once to go from dead last to playoff bubble team, and didn't really start replenishing again until Dubas. Chicago also got the benefit of not only a rising cap, but the ability to use back-diving retirement contracts to circumvent and keep their team together. I believe one of their cups also came with Tampa-style LTIR cap circumvention. Everybody wants to be the next Chicago, but the idea that we should have expected a modern dynasty and anything less is a disappointment is obviously ridiculous.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Edmonton's only hope of advancing is for their top players to outscore their goaltending.

Skinner has been decent, and obviously better than Campbell, but he is one of their weaker links.

Reactions: Menzinger

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Wonder if Edmonton will give Campbell a try.

I know Campbell had a bad season, but they're paying him 5m for the foreseeable future, Skinner has not been very good these playoffs, and Campbell actually played decently in the one playoff game he subbed into.
From what I saw last night, yea I think it is the time to put Campbell in. Skinner wasn't tracking the puck very well, I don't know if its an injury he's fighting through.

Oilers defense isn't exactly the best either but still.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
That’s also show how good these two are individually and together compare to other duos in the league.
McD is at least two tiers above everybody else and Drai is arguably the closest to McD in that elite group chasing McD.

It's also nice to have a bunch of divers on the team and the refs falling for them...even McDrai are both pretty good divers themselves.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
haha it is, have a few of my buddies making those engines into the 800 to 1000 hp just crazy boost, with E85 some really impressive tuning, its awesome to see
Speaking of Hondas, they have just announced the starting price of Integra Type-S today, $55k before destination and taxes.

Reactions: Cleetus
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
It's also nice to have a bunch of divers on the team and the refs falling for them...even McDrai are both pretty good divers themselves.

They were showing clips of the Oilers targeting Stone's back with cross checks. Didn't embellish once.

Later in the game, Draisaitl got a love tap from Stone along the boards and went flying lol

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
They were showing clips of the Oilers targeting Stone's back with cross checks. Didn't embellish once.

Later in the game, Draisaitl got a love tap from Stone along the boards and went flying lol

And of course they don't get called out by the broadcasters...I think it was at the point in the game when Oilers needed a goal to tie the game when Drai took a flop....even after the game, one of the panelists said the Oilers probably just needed one more powerplay in the game, lol...are these people being willfully blind?

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
And of course they don't get called out by the broadcasters...I think it was at the point in the game when Oilers needed a goal to tie the game when Drai took a flop....even after the game, one of the panelists said the Oilers probably just needed one more powerplay in the game, lol...are these people being willfully blind?
The sportsnet panel is pathetic with thwir mandate to be as flaked as possible.. it is so painfully boring and useless

The tnt panel has no problem callingnout the officials dives bad plays etc... i dont get it

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
Yep. They had a massive accumulation of prospects, and continued to draft pieces throughout, while we depleted our entire prospect pool at once to go from dead last to playoff bubble team, and didn't really start replenishing again until Dubas. Chicago also got the benefit of not only a rising cap, but the ability to use back-diving retirement contracts to circumvent and keep their team together. I believe one of their cups also came with Tampa-style LTIR cap circumvention. Everybody wants to be the next Chicago, but the idea that we should have expected a modern dynasty and anything less is a disappointment is obviously ridiculous.
The thing is that Kings was last team that really drafted and developed young team that won and even it was borderline. Penguins and Blackhawks were two franchises that stood up and Blackhawks was the crown jewel of that era in that sense. Nowadays it's Tampa and Avalanche style build up where you win with core in their prime. It has been close to a decade like that.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
lol

Screenshot-2023-05-05-00-56-29-08-e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad