Around the League 2021 offseason - part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Getting all three of the Hughenots sounds like a lot of fun, but Vancouver isn't going to just give him away and we're going to be absolutely loaded on the left side already. We would need to be sending them back either Smith or Shak for sure. I don't think that's a great move for us. Wait and sign him for free

Reactions: Devs3cups

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey

That poor Booger.
OGC.9d8c79164f8c502b2680de1d143ab76f

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

To me that signals if the Devils show the Hughes family the love and make a good offer, Jack will sign for term (7 or 8 years to me). It probably costs at least $8 mil per and maybe more if he has a good year but if he's locked up it will be one less headache to deal with and a good sign that players will want to play for NJ. I know he said he sees himself in NJ longterm with Luke being drafted but this reinforces it to me.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Vancouver site reports deals close for Hughes at $7.75/6 and Pettersson at $7.7/3. Many Canucks fans think the Hughes deal guarantees the brothers plan to play together in their prime.
NJ fans seem divided as to taking on Quinn which seems logical. My thoughts are it's all dependent upon what Quinn becomes over the course of those 6 years. Vancouver has always pictured Quin a s a budding superstar.

People here in NJ are high on Jack becoming a top NHL center.

Michigan coach is already amazed that the guy he recruited, Luke, is a so much better skater than he thought and his teammates are all amazed at this skating and other talents. #1 overall Powers is very impressed with his #4 OA from the same class teammate. Luke just turned 18 in September.

I have always said fans become too attached to certain players they have watched develop since the draft. If a much better talent comes gift wrapped their their way, management is not going to think twice about trading a couple of those certain players to make room. This is going to be fun to watch develop. I only hope I live long enough to see it play out.

:laugh:
I can’t wrap my brain around a player signing for 6 years and people discussing what will happen after that deal is up like 1) they can possibly know what will happen SIX YEARS FROM NOW. 2) that they care enormously right now about what will happen SIX YEARS FROM NOW. 3) a player that hasn’t even turned 22 years old year yet views a SIX YEAR COMMITMENT as short term stop before joining his brother on his real long-term team of destiny. Or something.

Does the 2015-16 season feel just like yesterday to people or something? 8 and 7 year contracts somehow symbolize a two-way eternal commitment between a team and player while a 6 year deal is still a bridge deal?

And Quinn wouldn’t have signed for 8 years if Vancouver offered him a higher AAV? And perhaps the Canucks simply couldn’t afford those last two UFA years, so they went with the longest contract they could reasonably afford?

Quinn will hit his prime before he’s 27 years old, the Canucks got a good chunk of his prime with this long term deal. He could have have demanded a bridge deal and then left without giving up any UFA years too.

I’m not flipping out on your post specifically at all but I feel like I’m taking crazy pills when even Canucks fans see this as about “guaranteeing the brothers playing together” rather than about keeping his salary under 8m on a long term deal. I thought the Quinn stuff would be annoying if he got a bridge deal, but 6 year deal should have nuked the Quinn to NJ narrative for now.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Getting all three of the Hughenots sounds like a lot of fun, but Vancouver isn't going to just give him away and we're going to be absolutely loaded on the left side already. We would need to be sending them back either Smith or Shak for sure. I don't think that's a great move for us. Wait and sign him for free
Vancouver isn’t trading Quinn Hughes for anything right now, they just signed him to a long term deal. (A grotesque overpay might theoretically do it but that’s not happening either.)

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
I was listening to the Athletic’s hockey podcast and the Seth Jones trade is straight Bonkers. Forget about the assets, if that guy sucks, his contract starts next season. That could easily be the worst contact before it ever begins..

The winner of that award goes to Brendan Gallagher.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Good news everyone!! Nate Bastian was a -1 and took a penalty in last night’s game. With any luck he will be back next to McLeod on final cut down day…
As much as Id love him back and Mikey would certainly, his best chance at an elongated NHL career is with Seattle.

so as for his ability to earn, I hope he makes their team

Reactions: My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad