Around the League 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
some years there are a ton of trades the week leading up to the draft; not so much this year, so it might be eventful day!

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
have a feeling COL is gonna make some big moves. lots of trade currency and cap currency.
First blood. Grubauer and Corps-pik for 47th.

I like that trade; a team not necessarily in need of a goalie got the best one on the market, and with Orpik off Washington's books, it looks like Carlson staying put is now more likely. Those two things, of course, make Mason and Myers that much more desirable trade candidates.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
First blood. Grubauer and Corps-pik for 47th.

I like that trade; a team not necessarily in need of a goalie got the best one on the market, and with Orpik off Washington's books, it looks like Carlson staying put is now more likely. Those two things, of course, make Mason and Myers that much more desirable trade candidates.
good trade for both teams. WSH can re-sign Carlson comfortably now along with the other cast of characters they have.. 3 picks from 31-47 too, they'll get a good player this weekend

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'm not quite sure what Carolina's masterplan is, but I kind of like that Hamilton deal. Hamilton is an upgrade over Hanifin, Ferland adds that physicality they're after and comes at a significantly cheaper price than Lindholm. Fox is a wild card who could be anything from a complete bust to a top pairing D.

The thing is, their depth up front is questionable. It was that before the draft and even after drafting Svechnikov. It is even more so now when they don't have Lindholm, and dealing Skinner will hurt them even more. Who will fill those holes?
Said this in the trade thread on the main forum, but I feel like this deal was sort of a lose/lose-win/win for both teams.

I don't see it addressing any of the glaring needs on Carolina's roster. They got another Dman, albeit a very good offensive one, and a dime-a-dozen player in Ferland from a pts standpoint on the Carolina roster. Where's the C? I think a package of Hanifin+Lindholm could net ROR. Not to mention that Dougie being moved twice in such a short period of time is a bit concerning. Both Hamilton and Ferland are closer to UFA. CAR have been deep on D for a while. Fox is a wild card, but he could walk away as a college FA

Similarly to CGY, Lindholm will fill in as a top line W nicely beside Monahan and Gaudrea, or a scoring line C (although I do not think they have the Wing depth to support a 3rd scoring line). However, moving Hamilton imo should have net a stronger top 6 Fwd. I guess getting Hanifin levels off the value a bit, but similar to Carolina, CGY's D pool is quite good as well.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
still hoping Myers is on the table. this trade works for the Jets
I do agree that Myers should be dealt once a Trouba signs. Poolman is ready to fill that spot. My only concern is that our D depth is not that great which is why I see Chevy keeping Myers till this year. We got jmo troub, kuli buff, Morrow Poolman, chiarot in PB and Niku as our only real recall that is ready, without Myers were a few injuries away from some trouble.
It's why I see Perreault as the likely guy moved. I really like MP but he's easier to replace on the cheap with the likes of Roslo and Petan, plus his contract will come off books for more then next year, and after Myers contract ends after the season both contracts are gone. I like MP but I think he's the one to get traded.
Sorry, thought I was in trade thread.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
35 years old 6.25 mil, does he have any magic left to play in today's NHL.

This is going to be interesting to see. I loved the 30 year old Kovy who played for the Devils but the league is allot faster now and he is half a decade older. Where I think he "may" be a major asset is on the Kings PP. Kovy might fill that 2 minute PP role that he had in NJ. He has such a great one timer and the Kings have not had that type of elite shooter on their PP that I can remember.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
He's gonna get points getting fed by Kopitar but I don't think he's gonna be worth his contract after all. 3 years is crazy honestly. 1 year okay why not, 2 years idk man but 3? THREE?

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
That contract is either boom or bust, he may come back and light the league on fire or he might be dreadful, there will be no in between, ps is right he will probably be most helpful on the pp but at the moment it just looks like a the Kings signed an older player who hasn't played in a changed league for a while.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He's gonna get points getting fed by Kopitar but I don't think he's gonna be worth his contract after all. 3 years is crazy honestly. 1 year okay why not, 2 years idk man but 3? THREE?

That contract is either boom or bust, he may come back and light the league on fire or he might be dreadful, there will be no in between, ps is right he will probably be most helpful on the pp but at the moment it just looks like a the Kings signed an older player who hasn't played in a changed league for a while.

In my opinion Kovy is being brought in to get them one more cup. The 3 year term was the cost of doing business that insiders say other orgs in the hunt baulked at.

Reactions: bustamente

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I do agree that Myers should be dealt once a Trouba signs. Poolman is ready to fill that spot. My only concern is that our D depth is not that great which is why I see Chevy keeping Myers till this year. We got jmo troub, kuli buff, Morrow Poolman, chiarot in PB and Niku as our only real recall that is ready, without Myers were a few injuries away from some trouble.
It's why I see Perreault as the likely guy moved. I really like MP but he's easier to replace on the cheap with the likes of Roslo and Petan, plus his contract will come off books for more then next year, and after Myers contract ends after the season both contracts are gone. I like MP but I think he's the one to get traded.
Sorry, thought I was in trade thread.

I'd like to have seen both Myers and MP moved for picks. We only really need to move 1 this year but a little breathing room on the cap wouldn't hurt. And the other needs to go next year anyway.

I think Myers trade value was too high a price to pay for injury insurance for 1 year.

Perreault is my favourite player - at least he is when he is hot. Maybe it has become Ehlers now - or it will be if he ever learns to score on a breakaway! :laugh: But I think it is time to move Frenchie for the good of the team. We can't keep everybody.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
In my opinion Kovy is being brought in to get them one more cup. The 3 year term was the cost of doing business that insiders say other orgs in the hunt baulked at.

Yeah their core has a few more runs, so add now while there's a chance

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Calgary shills are going full character assassination mode on Hamilton. Locker room issues and attitude blamed for all the their woes and their poor performance.

I mean, have they considered once that their "bottom 6" is basically three fourth liners and three AHLers?

Underrated part of Chevy's supposedly great patience: not once during the lottery team years were character or locker room issues blamed for poor performance, even when there actually might have been issues (EKane).

It's almost like Chevy knew what those subpar rosters were capable of, and that missing the playoffs was not actually underperforming. Meanwhile, Toddler Treliving stomps his feet, delusionally screaming "I built a playoff team", throws players under the bus and trades them for the sake of shaking things up. Newsflash: your roster was never good to begin with. NHL teams have four lines, not two. And that's after trading basically all of his picks.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Calgary shills are going full character assassination mode on Hamilton. Locker room issues and attitude blamed for all the their woes and their poor performance.

I mean, have they considered once that their "bottom 6" is basically three fourth liners and three AHLers?

Underrated part of Chevy's supposedly great patience: not once during the lottery team years were character or locker room issues blamed for poor performance, even when there actually might have been issues (EKane).

It's almost like Chevy knew what those subpar rosters were capable of, and that missing the playoffs was not actually underperforming. Meanwhile, Toddler Treliving stomps his feet, delusionally screaming "I built a playoff team", throws players under the bus and trades them for the sake of shaking things up. Newsflash: your roster was never good to begin with. NHL teams have four lines, not two. And that's after trading basically all of his picks.

He had what was supposed to be a very good D corps to start. Then he went and traded all those picks to make his strength even stronger. He had built a very strong D corps, no doubt. But he had neglected the rest of the team and he had traded away the future to do it.

The picks he gave up for Hamilton could have been 1 of Barzal/Connor/Chabot/Boeser plus Vince Dunn plus Filip Chlapik. The ones he gave up for Hamonic turned into Noah Dobson plus 2 more 2nds. Of course I am assuming some decent drafting here but holy **** batman! :laugh:

Reactions: Flair Hay
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad