Around Hockey XXIII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Hoping for the Islanders to be the Habs’ foe. Two guys I really enjoy watching are Caufield, who is exciting on the rush, and Barzel who I think of as Panarin Lite.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Only Tampa can stop this Vegas team. So go Bolts

I don’t think anyone will. But if there is a team to do it, it’s Tampa. And only Tampa

Welp I think I’ve already seen how this series will go. This is a mismatch

True, they’re not dominating in the same fashion they crushed Colorado. But they’re firmly in control of this game. And if you acknowledge that they’re not even playing their best (or close to it) then that doesn’t bode too well for montreal.

Montreal might win one of their home games, but I don’t see this series extending by 5 games.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
so basically what I said, about being off about the habs, and by proxy, the knights.

I want to meet the person who really believed that Montreal would be a finalist when these playoffs started.

They earned their spot in the finals and should be congratulated for doing so, but they were an unseeable finalist. They won 24 of 56 games in the regular season. The notion that they were "built for the playoffs" is farcical. They've had a good run (and had a PK which has killed off something like 35 straight penalties) while they caught a brutally poor performing Jets team and a Vegas squad who hit a slump at the wrong time. They also had the good fortune of meeting the terminally choking Leafs in round 1. Fleury's folly at the end of whatever game that was essentially gifted the series to the Habs.

You (and I) were not alone. Only pure long shot players and blindly loyal Habs enthusiasts would have given them a chance to get this far.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I'm just glad Vegas is out because f*** those silver spoon-fed jerkasses who've never had to know suffering.

Otherwise, I'm kind of short on motivations to root for teams at this point.

They don't even have to give up a player to Seattle despite having the 2nd-most playoff wins since entering the league.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I know I’m supposed to hate Vegas and I want to but I think they’re my second choice among the remaining teams, after the Habs.

I've never cared for the Isle, and my appreciation for guys like Beauvillier and Nelson (and Lee) is more than balanced by my feelings for Martin, Clutterbuck and Mayfield.

And I just can’t warm to Tampa for some reason. I pulled for the in the Finals last year but I just don’t like many guys on that team besides Palat and Point and sometimes Hedman.

I talk in this post about every team except the Habs despite saying they were my fave of the remaining 4. So, yay?

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
I want to meet the person who really believed that Montreal would be a finalist when these playoffs started.

They earned their spot in the finals and should be congratulated for doing so, but they were an unseeable finalist. They won 24 of 56 games in the regular season. The notion that they were "built for the playoffs" is farcical. They've had a good run (and had a PK which has killed off something like 35 straight penalties) while they caught a brutally poor performing Jets team and a Vegas squad who hit a slump at the wrong time. They also had the good fortune of meeting the terminally choking Leafs in round 1. Fleury's folly at the end of whatever game that was essentially gifted the series to the Habs.

You (and I) were not alone. Only pure long shot players and blindly loyal Habs enthusiasts would have given them a chance to get this far.

I didn't pick the Habs to go this far either but I think it's remiss to say Vegas hit a slump and not say Carey price may have had a small role to play in that.

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The notion that they were "built for the playoffs" is farcical. They've had a good run (and had a PK which has killed off something like 35 straight penalties) while they caught a brutally poor performing Jets team and a Vegas squad who hit a slump at the wrong time. They also had the good fortune of meeting the terminally choking Leafs in round 1. Fleury's folly at the end of whatever game that was essentially gifted the series to the Habs.

That's false. It was noted at several different points in the season, on Canadian broadcasts, that the Habs looked more like a playoff team. Elliotte Friedman has said it multiple times himself. You simply don't hire Edmundson, Chiarot, Perry, and Staal to win you games in the regular season, because they're not going to help you there.

What's genuinely farcical, is to say that they just happened to catch all of these teams slumping, as if the Habs had nothing to do with that. The Knights sure weren't slumping in their prior series, and the Jets looked great vs the Oilers. Good defensive teams make their opponents look inept, it's how it goes. I guess you thought the '95 Devils just happened to catch 4 slumping teams in a row?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad