OT: Around Hockey and the NHL

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'd say soccer matches not being family friendly events is more or less a misconception that only really applies to certain matchups outside the biggest European soccer leagues, as well as some national team matchups (which you can figure out by passing a 5th grade history class).

The German league works a bit differently to other top leagues, but the Premier League for example has a very NA style approach to ripping the customer out of their money and not caring about the "true" supporters not affording to go to games anymore. Like LS said unless you're sitting, or well, standing, in a certain block dedicated to the biggest supporters of a team, you're not going to stand out by just behaving like you'd do at an NHL game.
I don't mean to imply that all the fans are ultras, or jumping around all game, or that politics overwhelms every team in European pro soccer. The top leagues especially have a lot of potential money on the line, and Serie A or the Premier League want big international TV deals. Extreme politics isn't good for business.

It's just that any semblance of that in pro sports is completely foreign to US families, at any point. They wouldn't be comfortable with it being in the same building.

And part of that includes spending potentially hundreds of dollars on a game, just to see a tie (if they don't leave early).

I've heard plenty of new and casual fans correlate a 'good' game as being a win. No matter how the events transpire, or how boring it was, or how poorly they actually played. A win is good entertainment. A loss is bad entertainment. Ties would break brains. It'd be soccer.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
TBF watching an uninspired soccer game for 90+ minutes that eventually ends in a 0-0 tie is definitely in my personal top-10 list of most boring activities imaginable.

That said even a 0-0 game can be a good game of course. And a win no matter the final score can be a bad game. Also the definition of a “good” or “bad” game seems to be highly subjective.

It’s kind of odd though that ties just aren’t a thing in hockey (anymore) in the regular season. It would be almost logical for the NHL given the fact it’s a long 82 game season. Why drag it out and decide the outcome with a gimmick?

How many times a 3v3 OT win or loss just feels like a coin toss? Shootouts are even worse on the “earned” win/loss scale. But I understand it gets the fans out of their seats even when the score was 0-0. And one side gets to be winners for the night.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
TBF watching an uninspired soccer game for 90+ minutes that eventually ends in a 0-0 tie is definitely in my personal top-10 list of most boring activities imaginable.

That said even a 0-0 game can be a good game of course. And a win no matter the final score can be a bad game. Also the definition of a “good” or “bad” game seems to be highly subjective.

It’s kind of odd though that ties just aren’t a thing in hockey (anymore) in the regular season. It would be almost logical for the NHL given the fact it’s a long 82 game season. Why drag it out and decide the outcome with a gimmick?

How many times a 3v3 OT win or loss just feels like a coin toss? Shootouts are even worse on the “earned” win/loss scale. But I understand it gets the fans out of their seats even when the score was 0-0. And one side gets to be winners for the night.
The NBA has an 82 game season. MLB has a 162 game schedule. Neither has ties.

Shootouts aren't great, but breakaways and penalty shots are parts of the game.

Golden goals are used in soccer, hockey, lacrosse, etc.

3-on-3 and the shootout are theoretically exciting, especially for new fans.

Reactions: Renopucker

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
The NBA has an 82 game season. MLB has a 162 game schedule. Neither has ties.

Shootouts aren't great, but breakaways and penalty shots are parts of the game.

Golden goals are used in soccer, hockey, lacrosse, etc.

3-on-3 and the shootout are theoretically exciting, especially for new fans.
I've been watching the NHL since 1965 (HNIC, CKLW out of Windsor) and I have NO problem with the 3v3, then a shootout. Alot of my buds that have been watching and playing this game for a long time have no problem with it either.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

The NHL would very likely want to go to these. There's an interest in France already.

PE Bellemare might be interested in getting into coaching. It'd be a reasonable goal for him to get onto the French hockey team's coaching staff in 2030. The host country is guaranteed entry into every event.

Last edited:

Bartleby

I would prefer not to.
Mar 2, 2022
Ocala, FL
A major hit to the 32 Thoughts Podcast

He developed a brand and occasionally did a good interview, but he was also the most pretentious personality in hockey media. No thought more of himself and no one has ever loved the sound of his own voice more. Good riddance, though he will almost certainly re-emerge elsewhere (unless whatever he did at the draft was egregious enough to keep him sidelined for a while).

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
He developed a brand and occasionally did a good interview, but he was also the most pretentious personality in hockey media. No thought more of himself and no one has ever loved the sound of his own voice more. Good riddance, though he will almost certainly re-emerge elsewhere (unless whatever he did at the draft was egregious enough to keep him sidelined for a while).
It's a feature, not a bug.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

This will be a bad look for player agent Darryl Wolski.

A free agent camp in September is really late when you think about it. The level of player I think they're imagining would already be signed in Europe or the minor leagues.

The 'league' is also claiming a max ticket price of $25, but giving away $200k for each game day. If tickets are more like $20 on average, then 10,000 fans would need to show up to cover just the win bonuses. No $30 million dollar salary cap, no arena or travel costs, etc.

IRL, I'd probably be considering axing the coaches (at least at first). If they're sharing in the win bonus, and there's only 12 skaters per team, do they really need full-time coaches? The EIHL functioned with player-coaches until surprisingly recently, and that's the top league in the UK. An MLH team should be much simpler to run.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

The western district of New York is the Buffalo and Rochester area (although not Syracuse). It's one of the densest areas for college hockey teams.

The NCAA deferring to the coaches was a cop-out. In terms of pure numbers, most coaches wanted to accept CHL players, but the big time schools didn't. The coaches themselves aren't really equipped to deal with the legal complexities involved. If they were going to defer, it should have gone to the conference (league) commissioners.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The NCAA starts blabbing that they're legally vulnerable to a CHL lawsuit. One gets filed. Surprised Pikachu face.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
A new study just dropped on nature vs nurture for athletes.

Bad news for Presidential Fitness Test stans. Good news for goalies.

Last edited:

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven

FRAUD ALERT.gif

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Breaking MLH news. Breaking MLH news.

Max Chambers, the Chief Executive Officer behind the highly anticipated Major League Hockey (MLH), has announced today that it will postpone the launch of its inaugural season until October 2025.

MLH did not make this decision lightly, as its investors and team worked tirelessly to bring this innovative and exciting new 3-on-3 product to life. However, postponing the launch is the best course of action due to unforeseen medical challenges regarding the CEO's health and the need for additional time to ensure every aspect of the League meets the highest standards.

The fourteen coaches and GMs, already under contract, will use the upcoming season to scout Major Junior, NCAA, and USports games. Each agreed that it was better to wait until October 2025 than to rush into 2024 without the League’s CEO.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00