OT: Around Hockey and the NHL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The Brick Invitational has some crazy number like 80% of participants go on to the CHL or NCAA.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Commenting in a brand new thread is like showing up to the party and it's only you and the host and internally you're hoping others arrive before you crawl out of your skin due to the awkwardness.
As someone with extreme social anxiety, can confirm.

I need a trade to happen around the league. The McLeod Savoie trade was a nice discussion starter, but I hate the Oilers and the Sabres, so not as good as it could be.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
After the purchase by the Caps the CapFriendly site just went dark, what a sad day.

What’s the alternative(s)? PuckPedia?

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
I think no matter what we get, we’re gonna be lacking the intimacy and the connections that the folks over at CF had (and cultivated) in the process which provided the legitimacy behind the figures

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Just go back to 4 on 4. Jesus Christ this sport is dumb
I'm not sure if there even is a solution to OT in an 82 game regular season that isn't dumb.

When we aren't in a position that every point matters in order to make the playoffs, I honestly do not care that much if we win or not once it goes to OT.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm not sure if there even is a solution to OT in an 82 game regular season that isn't dumb.

When we aren't in a position that every point matters in order to make the playoffs, I honestly do not care that much if we win or not once it goes to OT.
I am a huge fan of an 82 game season. What I don't understand is how the league can't figure out what happens if the game doesn't end in regulation. We had a 3 on 3 happen once during a game because of a bunch of penalties. And what happened next was an absolute trainwreck. The league pointed at the TV screen and said "I WANT THAT!! THAT'S HOW OVERTIME SHOULD END!!" as if that was going to happen every time. After a few months of 3 on 3 it turned into everyone scratching their balls cycling back and forth waiting for an opening. They fixed what wasn't broken

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I am a huge fan of an 82 game season. What I don't understand is how the league can't figure out what happens if the game doesn't end in regulation. We had a 3 on 3 happen once during a game because of a bunch of penalties. And what happened next was an absolute trainwreck. The league pointed at the TV screen and said "I WANT THAT!! THAT'S HOW OVERTIME SHOULD END!!" as if that was going to happen every time. After a few months of 3 on 3 it turned into everyone scratching their balls cycling back and forth waiting for an opening. They fixed what wasn't broken
I'm not, but I know there's zero chance they'd ever shorten it so it's not even worth complaining about.

The current OT and point system makes sure every team starts playing conservatively with like 10 minutes to go whenever a game is tied. There's rarely any incentive for a team to push for that regulation win, and the on ice product is clearly affected by it.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'm not, but I know there's zero chance they'd ever shorten it so it's not even worth complaining about.

The current OT and point system makes sure every team starts playing conservatively with like 10 minutes to go whenever a game is tied. There's rarely any incentive for a team to push for that regulation win, and the on ice product is clearly affected by it.
If you're talking about a 3-2-1 points system, the league wants playoff races close (or at least appearing close). Rewarding teams that get it done in regulation spreads the standings out.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
If you're talking about a 3-2-1 points system, the league wants playoff races close (or at least appearing close). Rewarding teams that get it done in regulation spreads the standings out.
This is where a shorter regulation season comes in in my utopian world that'll never be a reality.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Works in soccer.
Different culture, IMO.

I don't think of European soccer as being a family event. It's much louder, boisterous, and political (at least historically), than we have anywhere in the US.

NA families want to spend a bunch of money on food and parking, be entertained, and then leave early. They don't want to become the entertainment (which the standing and chanting all game is).

I'm also pretty sure soccer tickets aren't as expensive.

Top European leagues also aren't great examples of parity, either.

Reactions: Stammertime91

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Different culture, IMO.

I don't think of European soccer as being a family event. It's much louder, boisterous, and political (at least historically), than we have anywhere in the US.

NA families want to spend a bunch of money on food and parking, be entertained, and then leave early. They don't want to become the entertainment (which the standing and chanting all game is).

I'm also pretty sure soccer tickets aren't as expensive.

Top European leagues also aren't great examples of parity, either.
Oh I get that. There are family blocks in soccer arenas though for people who do exactly what you’re describing (eat, drink, buy merch, be entertained, leave) as well as business seats and VIP boxes.

The lack of parity in soccer has its roots and reasons elsewhere (no salary cap for one) and is not linked to having tie-breakers or not imo.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I'd say soccer matches not being family friendly events is more or less a misconception that only really applies to certain matchups outside the biggest European soccer leagues, as well as some national team matchups (which you can figure out by passing a 5th grade history class).

The German league works a bit differently to other top leagues, but the Premier League for example has a very NA style approach to ripping the customer out of their money and not caring about the "true" supporters not affording to go to games anymore. Like LS said unless you're sitting, or well, standing, in a certain block dedicated to the biggest supporters of a team, you're not going to stand out by just behaving like you'd do at an NHL game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad