OT: Around Hockey and the NHL

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

There's only six D-II schools. We could see an exodus of D-I schools into D-II.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Looks like Waddell to Columbus.

Waddell will be 66 in August. It'd make sense for him to figure out some good succession candidates. GM is playing the long game.

He might be able to get Mike Vellucci out of Pittsburgh.

Last edited:

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Miss Goodrow

Very unlikely, but if he keeps playing like this and they win the Cup...it would be pretty cool to see him win the Conn Smythe. Got the OT winner in game 2, two more goals today.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The Datacast alt-stream is kind of weird.

Something like the Manningcast works because there's not much football being played. Baseball would work pretty similar. I don't think fans are even expected to watch all of that.

The thing hockey doesn't need is more crap on the screen. The stats that take up half the screen are useless. Tanev leads the game with 2 PIMs, etc.

It's hard to listen to the guys not talk about what's happening, while taking all the visuals in. Sensory overload.

Reactions: Hoek

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
For me, Its like watching and responding on Discord while trying to concentrate on the game. Totally unnecessary.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
For me, Its like watching and responding on Discord while trying to concentrate on the game. Totally unnecessary.
The datacast is a solution in search of a problem.

I get why they're rolling this out in the playoffs, but the playoffs are the worst time of year for analytics. The games are individually important, and it's often more about mentality than efficiency.

It still doesn't fix the issue of fans not really understanding how the game is played. Connor McDavid shoots hard sometimes and has a certain amount of time on ice. Ok. Cool story, bro.

Reactions: Renopucker

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
With 2 NCAA Championships, and a Gold medal at the World Juniors, it's only a matter of time before David Carle gets the call

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
This still isn't happening (at least without Saudi money), but here are some nuances.
Major league hockey has targeted franchises in 16 cities in the United States and Canada.
Targeted means nothing.

'New England' is represented by Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Manchester, NH actually has an arena. SNHU Arena. It seats less than 10k.

two 24-minute games per night with short intermission. Games with fan-friendly admission prices will be played exclusively on Friday and Saturday nights.
48 minutes is an NBA game. Not an unreasonable amount of hockey.

Good luck finding enough Friday and Saturday dates in legit arenas.

14 player roster
12 skaters
‍2 goalies
3 marquis players
Did Dangle not notice that marquee is misspelled? A marquis is like a European noble. (could explain where the money is coming from)

The 3 'marquis' players can have top level pro experience. Why you would throw $30 mil at every team and not allow them better players is a question. They could also turn the two 'games' into one game and save millions over the course of a season by only needing to hand out one 100k prize each game day.

They do have an image of a few logos on example merch. The name of 'West Valley Pumas' stands out. Like the MLH name, it's not on the US trademark website. I figure if I look hard enough, it's just a generic temp image.

The MLH scouting staff has already completed the 2024 player draft which will be released shortly.
Lol. I remember when the 2004 WHA did a draft. The WHA concept actually lived on for a little longer. There's no way doing that now wouldn't result in immediate, irreversible clowning by the entire internet. It'd be a bloodbath.

The WHA draft was also, as I recall, done as sort of an absent minded exercise by the prospective team reps as they were talking about more important issues. Like how people will sometimes toss a ball around as they're having a discussion. It was then rushed off to the webmaster as being the real thing. Max Chambers was involved with that proposed league at some point (he wanted to own the Orlando team).

Markets Almost Full

MLH has retained prominent professional-level coaches and management personnel in many markets.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The MLH website corrected marquis to marquee, so it's not been abandoned.

Jeff Marek and Elliotte Friedman talked about the league on 32 Thoughts, and Friedman seems to think that the company behind it is European. What if, instead of Saudi sports washing, it was Russian? The elements are there.

edit: I had sort of initially discounted the idea of Russian money, as the US has been going after the oligarchs since the current war in Ukraine started, but going after a sports league is different from going after mega yachts and private planes. The US loves job creators, and sports teams are community assets.

LIV Golf is 'controversial', but it's not perceived as illegal.

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

v0rX2fn.gif

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Both the original and retweet threads are worth reading.

Bader likes how the Hurricanes draft, and they basically always go for the analytics darlings.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
New Orleans recently expressed some interest in the NHL.

The state just added a second FPHL team in the last few days (Monroe Moccasins), and I'd believe that there's room for the sport to grow in Lousiana, but I'm not convinced of it as an NHL market.

Superficially, New Orleans could be compared to Las Vegas, but Vegas has always leaned into its local population. They'd get sports tourism, like anywhere, but there aren't any major league teams being floated by tourists. Orlando would make a much more convincing argument, if we're going there.

New Orleans is 44th in largest US CSAs. Not much larger than Buffalo, and the NBA Pelicans are generally considered to be the team most likely to move. Their arena is unimpressive, although they'd need to play some NHL exhibition games there first to test the market.

What I had in mind for New Orleans was for them to ultimately be the ECHL or AHL affiliate for an expansion NHL Houston team. Houston-San Antonio-New Orleans, or something like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad