Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Also, if the only excuse for not trading Hanifin is that we have traded a d-man that was good and he got better before, why would we ever trade anyone

The premise is potential.
Both guys were top 10 picks that have the ability to find another gear.

but again, why not expand it to a crazy level to make a point amirite? Let’s not trade Janko because he could be a 1C!

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don't know why we're so desperate to make a play for a goalie when our most glaring needs are a playdriving Dman and centre. Package Hanifin for that elusive forward piece and trade Monahan afterwards for a good RHD. There's our offseason

Reactions: Coach Parker

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I don't know why we're so desperate to make a play for a goalie when our most glaring needs are a playdriving Dman and centre. Package Hanifin for that elusive forward piece and trade Monahan afterwards for a good RHD. There's our offseason

A) We're not getting a forward back better than Monahan in a Hanifin trade
B) Trading a 1st line center when our center options are Backlund and Ryan is Pejorative Slured
C) Our goalies are not good and making a play for Markstrom (instead of Hall) would be a good move.
D) Monahan was the best player on our top line the entire playoffs so if everyone wants to blame him and trade him, Johnny is the most useless playoff player we've had in the past decade.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
The premise is potential.
Both guys were top 10 picks that have the ability to find another gear.

but again, why not expand it to a crazy level to make a point amirite? Let’s not trade Janko because he could be a 1C!
Yeah the premise is there, but Hamilton was always one of those "He is a killer offensively but his defense sucks!" where as Hanifin is "He needs to find his offensive instincts and utilize them, as well as fix the defensive zone issues." Two guys with a lot of potential but one has a lot more flaws than the other did when rumours came up.

It also comes into play with "if we trade Bennett there's a chance we're going to really regret it!" Like we COULD but we could regret trading every player ever. Like, oh boy are we sure regretting trading Kulak (kinda did last season since Valimaki got injured). The only person I remember us regretting recently would be Fox and he wouldn't sign here.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
You don't make trades to get rid of players unless they are a cap anchor. You assess who you want and consider what you actually need to make that happen, and you have to consider just about anyone in any trade. Either that or someone is on the block and you let someone else make the offers for you, but either way you are targetting a player/having your player targeted, you aren't making a decision of "I hate Monahan so I'll get great value for him"

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
What about something based around Debrusk + Carlo for Hanifin + Mangi.

Debrusk-Backlund-Tkachuk

How about we simplify this and get the cap space for Calgary as well:

To Calgary:

LW DeBrusk (Assume $3.75 / year)

To Boston:

LHD Hanifin ( $4.95 / year 4 years)
LW Lucic (50% Retained $2.675 / Year 3 years)

Remove all the fluff and other pieces and focus on the gap between the value of DeBrusk and Hanifin.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Serious question, when was the last time these types of rumors popped up and they came true? IIRC, many of Treliving's moves kinda come out of left field/lots of quiet before the final rumblings.

- Zucker
- Kadri
- Hamonic
- Hall
- Hanifin/Lindholm
- Mark Stone
etc.

If I recall correctly, the louder certain rumors were, the less likely they seemed to be true in their final form or we'd hear about our serious involvement only moments before the end.

IMO, I wouldn't take the rumors too seriously.

Agreed, same issue in Boston. What we do know is that Sweeney went hard after Hanifin at the draft in 2015 and had a deal to move the 14th, 15th + for him before it feel through and Carolina asked for all three picks 14-16.

Sweeney had been after Coyle for awhile and finally got him. I'd expect if Hanifin is on the market that Sweeney is pushing to acquire him and is willing to take on salary.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
How about we simplify this and get the cap space for Calgary as well:

To Calgary:

LW DeBrusk (Assume $3.75 / year)

To Boston:

LHD Hanifin ( $4.95 / year 4 years)
LW Lucic (50% Retained $2.675 / Year 3 years)

Remove all the fluff and other pieces and focus on the gap between the value of DeBrusk and Hanifin.

I’m probably in the minority, but I don’t want to trade Lucic. It’s attractive to get his cap off the books, but I actually like him in our bottom 6. He adds tons of size, he’s such a presence when he’s on the ice and he definitely makes us a tougher team. He beat down like 5-6 players this past year and I’ve missed having in our lineup. I love Lucic far more than Neal.

But if moving him allows us to fill holes like signing Markstrom, Petro and maybe a Granlund. That’s really attractive.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I’m probably in the minority, but I don’t want to trade Lucic. It’s attractive to get his cap off the books, but I actually like him in our bottom 6. He adds tons of size, he’s such a presence when he’s on the ice and he definitely makes us a tougher team. He beat down like 5-6 players this past year and I’ve missed having in our lineup. I love Lucic far more than Neal.

But if moving him allows us to fill holes like signing Markstrom, Petro and maybe a Granlund. That’s really attractive.

Solid point. I keep coming back to two of the three names you mentioned coming to Calgary (in Vancouver here, talk is constant about Calgary giving Markstrom a solid contract with term).

Again, I'm looking at what upgrades the Flames and gets Boston Hanifin. Money off the books and DeBrusk signed is a clear upgrade over Lucic and probably removes the need to sign Granlund. 20+ fast goal-scorer. I only talk of moving him because the two assets the Bruins have to address the LHD are Carlo and DeBrusk.

If Bruins make this move they can sign a top six winger with the space and Calgary also has space to sign Markstrom +.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

If you think DeBrusk is that piece and moving Lucic is the gap then suddenly you can talk about moving Monahan for Dumba, correct?

Lucic, Hanifin and Monahan out, Dumba and DeBrusk in? Plus cap space to sign Markstrom since you moved out Lucic? I'd have to look at the numbers but that seems like a lot of cap savings and three improvements.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Monahan, I feel, showed a willingness to actually carry the puck these playoffs and improved off puck play. Gaudreau going off for a game (deja vu, anyone?) doesn't discount how Monahan improved the areas of weakness we've seen from him in the past

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Thanks for the input throughout guys. Reading your opinions helps when trying to make something work for Hanifin. Does this work?

To Calgary

LW DeBrusk
RHD Moore
2021 1st Round Pick

To Boston:

LHD Hanifin

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Monahan purposefully changed his game this season to try and become that 200ft player and offer better defence to the 1 line. I am a believer that once that is learned the offensive instincts and skill will still be there. I think better days are ahead for young Sean (still only 25).

I was watching NYI and Tampa the other night focusing on Barzal and Point. Maybe I had my blinders on, but I couldn't help but think they were kind of slow and didn't look as dangerous as Gaudreau does. NYI, in particular, could have used a guy like Gaudreau.

Flames issue is how to unlock these guys come play-off time.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Thanks for the input throughout guys. Reading your opinions helps when trying to make something work for Hanifin. Does this work?

To Calgary

LW DeBrusk
RHD Moore
2021 1st Round Pick

To Boston:

LHD Hanifin

For me, this is a flat no; no thank you.
Our top 4 now as today would be: Giordano, Valimaki, Andersson, Moore. Easy a bottom 10 in the league.

Debrusk, to me, does nothing for Calgary.

Premise sucks. Flat out no.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Trade Monahan for Dumba
Trade Gaudreau & Hanifin for Eichel
???? Sign UFA Taylor Hall
Profit
Here's a better one.

Trade Monahan for Dumba
Trade Gaudreau, Hanifin and Lucic for Eichel and Dahlin (gotta even up the cap hits)
Sign Hall, Markstrom, Pietrangelo, and Hoffman

Hall - Bennett - Tkachuk
Dube - Eichel - Hoffman
Bennett - Backlund - Mangiapane
Jankowski - Ryan - Rieder

Kylington- Pietrangelo
Valimaki - Andersson
Giordano - Dumba

Markstrom
Khudobin (Forget to mention but these guys all sign for 1 mil cause they like the Flames)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Here's a better one.

Trade Monahan for Dumba
Trade Gaudreau, Hanifin and Lucic for Eichel and Dahlin (gotta even up the cap hits)
Sign Hall, Markstrom, Pietrangelo, and Hoffman

Hall - Bennett - Tkachuk
Dube - Eichel - Hoffman
Bennett - Backlund - Mangiapane
Jankowski - Ryan - Rieder

Kylington- Pietrangelo
Valimaki - Andersson
Giordano - Dumba

Markstrom
Khudobin (Forget to mention but these guys all sign for 1 mil cause they like the Flames)

Love it that we’re double shifting Bennett.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Gaudreau AND Eichel. That’s the dream. Monahan + Hanifin + first + Petersen

Gaudreau-Eichel-Lindholm
Mangiapane-Backlund-Tkachuk
Lucic-Bennett-Dube
Rider-x-x

Gio-Brodie
Valimaki-Anderson
Mackey-Kylington
couple depth guys

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Gaudreau AND Eichel. That’s the dream. Monahan + Hanifin + first + Petersen

Gaudreau-Eichel-Lindholm
Mangiapane-Backlund-Tkachuk
Lucic-Bennett-Dube
Rider-x-x

Gio-Brodie
Valimaki-Anderson
Mackey-Kylington
couple depth guys

Buffalo wouldn't touch that. It would be more like Monahan, Valimaki, Pelletier, Wolf, 1st, and Bennett. Even that probably doesn't get him. Why would they take the mystery bag?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad