Speculation: Armchair GM 2023-24 Season. If we can't say "Rebuild" what do we call it?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Why would they sign for that to play in Calgary?

Rhetorical question, because it still seems people don't understand what offer sheets are and why they are included in the CBA.

Yeah, he's being paid 4.5AAV now? I mean, maybe you have a shot at 3x 4.25 OS that keeps you in the 2nd round pick range, but overall, some of the suggestions are a wee bit off in how to use the OS to piss off the Oilers.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Yeah, he's being paid 4.5AAV now? I mean, maybe you have a shot at 3x 4.25 OS that keeps you in the 2nd round pick range, but overall, some of the suggestions are a wee bit off in how to use the OS to piss off the Oilers.

They both are coming off their ELC's, so a bit over $2M would be a raise. But that's really not the point.

RFA's eligible for offer sheet are essentially UFA's, as in any team can negotiate a contract with them freely. Difference is the original team can match the contract. Offer sheets are not meant to enable "stealing" players from other teams, they are in the CBA to make sure those guys get the market value contracts, and the teams cannot offer them too low take it or leave it deals.

So if either Broberg or Holloway was willing to sign for the market price, Oilers would already have signed them. It would require an overpay to make them sign with Flames or some other team. And who knows, maybe Conroy has already called their agents who told Conroy thanks but no thanks.

There are of course exceptions like the Kotkaniemi thing, but that's because Kotkaniemi wanted to leave.

People on HFboards like to complain that the GM's are not using offer sheets, either because there's some gentlemen's agreement, or they are not aggressive enough, or they are afraid of something. Reality is we have no idea how often other GM's approach players who could be signed to an offer sheet, and how often they are said no thanks.

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
They both are coming off their ELC's, so a bit over $2M would be a raise. But that's really not the point.

RFA's eligible for offer sheet are essentially UFA's, as in any team can negotiate a contract with them freely. Difference is the original team can match the contract. Offer sheets are not meant to enable "stealing" players from other teams, they are in the CBA to make sure those guys get the market value contracts, and the teams cannot offer them too low take it or leave it deals.

So if either Broberg or Holloway was willing to sign for the market price, Oilers would already have signed them. It would require an overpay to make them sign with Flames or some other team. And who knows, maybe Conroy has already called their agents who told Conroy thanks but no thanks.

There are of course exceptions like the Kotkaniemi thing, but that's because Kotkaniemi wanted to leave.

People on HFboards like to complain that the GM's are not using offer sheets, either because there's some gentlemen's agreement, or they are not aggressive enough, or they are afraid of something. Reality is we have no idea how often other GM's approach players who could be signed to an offer sheet, and how often they are said no thanks.

Bleh I must have misread career earnings with AAV. Rest of it, I agree with you.

Reactions: Kahvi

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
SJ is looking like a much better team on paper than what they "iced" lastyear.

I'd hope the Sharks would jump both Calgary and Anaheim.
I would assume Calgary and Anaheim will be two of the worst teams in the league this year. Especially once Calgary unloads the pending UFAs.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Do we have any idea what they are offering? and honestly, Oilers are in better position at the moment. If Flames wanted either of them, it would require an overpay, and I dont like that idea.
It's a hypothetical, but looking at their cap situation I cannot imagine it's a significant number currently.

Why does it matter the Oilers are "in a better position"? These guys typically do whatever they perceive to be best for their careers, there's a strong argument being buried in Edmonton is not that.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
It's a hypothetical, but looking at their cap situation I cannot imagine it's a significant number currently.

Why does it matter the Oilers are "in a better position"? These guys typically do whatever they perceive to be best for their careers, there's a strong argument being buried in Edmonton is not that.

I would guess that a player drafted by Oilers would rather play for Oilers when they are competing, and not Flames when they are rebuilding.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Why would they sign for that to play in Calgary?

Rhetorical question, because it still seems people don't understand what offer sheets are and why they are included in the CBA.
Not saying I support an offer sheet.

But as to why either might accept one? Playing time, and in the case of Holloway, a chance to play at home. For guys like Holloway or Boqvist a chance to play top 6 or top 4 could be very enticing, that's ignoring that many offer sheets see an overpayment as well.

Reactions: Fig

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Duehr for Pageau, 2025 2nd, NYI retains $1 million each year (2 left)

Ilya Nikolayev for Cody Glass, 2025 3rd (Minn)

Use up some of that cap space

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Duehr for Pageau, 2025 2nd, NYI retains $1 million each year (2 left)

Ilya Nikolayev for Cody Glass, 2025 3rd (Minn)

Use up some of that cap space
There are only so many roster spots, if we're going to take on a contract it better be for at minimum a 2nd.
I'd rather see a short gross contract back for a 1st

Reactions: viper0220

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There are only so many roster spots, if we're going to take on a contract it better be for at minimum a 2nd.
I'd rather see a short gross contract back for a 1st
With how much the cap rose, no one is in a position to have to do that though. Even the Avs aren't in trouble unless Nuke returns.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Are Broberg or Holloway even worth the early 2nd compensation? Another LHS LW for sure does nothing for us, Broberg might honestly struggle to be a regular on our blue line with how many bodies are there.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Hopefully Conroy actually follows through with "weaponizing all our capspace". Someone mentioned it on CP (and I kind of forgot because of repression), but Feaster said the same thing back when we were re-building in the early Monahan days. It was a hollow claim because he never actually did it. IIRC there was a trade that would have got us a 1st for taking Ribeiro one year at a draft, but Ribeiro used his no trade clause to shut it down.

Conroy has to his credit followed through in everything he has said about what he wants to do with the team. He gave young guys spots, he traded away all UFA's, he traded Markstrom for futures all but confirming a re-build. Point being, just wait, only a matter of time before the entire league is over the cap. Last year at one point over 20 teams in the league were over the cap (but technically under because of LTIR).

Reactions: Fig and viper0220

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hopefully Conroy actually follows through with "weaponizing all our capspace".
The problem is, more teams are willing to eat cap than need to dump it.

The only team that has to dump someone, is Edmonton and Evander Kane. The Leafs have enough space to add a 12th forward once they get down to 8 defensemen and waive Matt Murray.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Hopefully Conroy actually follows through with "weaponizing all our capspace". Someone mentioned it on CP (and I kind of forgot because of repression), but Feaster said the same thing back when we were re-building in the early Monahan days. It was a hollow claim because he never actually did it. IIRC there was a trade that would have got us a 1st for taking Ribeiro one year at a draft, but Ribeiro used his no trade clause to shut it down.

Conroy has to his credit followed through in everything he has said about what he wants to do with the team. He gave young guys spots, he traded away all UFA's, he traded Markstrom for futures all but confirming a re-build. Point being, just wait, only a matter of time before the entire league is over the cap. Last year at one point over 20 teams in the league were over the cap (but technically under because of LTIR).

Feaster was also a jabroni of the nth order.
You are recalling correctly.

I think it's just a matter of time, especially as we get closer to the season or even more realistically at the deadline. Where Calgary can broker for big tickets for a decent pick; or maximize player value by taking a bad contract back.

Like as an example, if at the deadline Dallas is looking for scoring help and they target Kuzy, but it's hard to fit under their cap as is... maybe Dumba or Lyubushkin doesn't pan out as expected they could swing one of those guys back in a deal where Calgary has to take on an year of a mediocre deal but are able to acquire a 1st in the transaction where that would normally be a 2nd-type value. We also can credit Conroy for keeping his retention spots open outside of Markstrom. Means we can still hold cap on two other deals.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Bond

May 10, 2012

Calgary will likely have a harder time weaponizing their cap space because of NTCs. I am guessing that is why there weren't in on any of the trades around July 1st

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
What's the best pick a team has received for taking on salary in a trade deadline deal?
If we can eat a good portion of someone's salary, any contender would love to aquire a top 6 player for cheap.
Hell, that could already be our guy - Mantha or Kuzmenko
Ya, we might be done making moves until next TDL

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
argh...this team lacks skill and to see Savoie go to Edmonton is just...there had to have been a way to offer more than McLeod and an AHL contract to get Savoie from the Sabres. Sure he is 5'9" but...

I guess on the bright side the Oilers forecheck is getting worse by the day.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad