Speculation: Armchair GM 2023-24 Season. If we can't say "Rebuild" what do we call it?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

IharRB

Dec 17, 2023
1719975163121.png

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I don't think he's too good for the OHL at all, and not ready for the NHL IMO
Camp will be a learning experience, especially if he can make it past first couple rounds of cuts.

But if he can show he's head & shoulders better than the other 2, then sure, lets see what he can do for a couple games.
Sorry, I should have said “very close to too good for the OHL”. I do think there are probably some defensive warts that could still be ironed out there. But there have surely been many players who probably weren’t ready for the NHL that still made the team out of camp for a handful of games. Not because they were the best or most deserving, but because they could benefit greatly from a few weeks in the NHL developmentally.

The way I see it is that it would be a great thing for his development. If it happens, great. If not, I get that too - I agree he’s not fully ready for the NHL.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Right now the OHL is probably the worst place for Parekh to learn to improve his defence. I expect that in the 2024-25 season he'll score even more pts than he did this past season and the last thing on his mind will be defence. Like he said... he plays the way he plays and nobody is going to change that... or at least I expect his Saginaw coach won't be able to. Flames coaching might.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If you look closely at the players who came to Calgary as a result of the trades, you can conclude that Conroy is betting on Dan Milstein.
The first-round draft pick also speaks to this.

In interviews at the draft Connie mentioned going to the Milstein camp (I believe it was that camp) and was impressed with guys like Gridin.

Reactions: IharRB

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Cant wait to see if Conroy has the balls to go against the 'code' and offersheets both Holloway and Broberg, actually weaponizes the cap space or will just run a low cost operation so that Murray doesnt lose any money.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Cant wait to see if Conroy has the balls to go against the 'code' and offersheets both Holloway and Broberg, actually weaponizes the cap space or will just run a low cost operation so that Murray doesnt lose any money.

Offer sheeting them and losing picks, does not show “balls”, it would show how dumb Conroy is. And Conroy is not dumb, this is the first time that a GM has the ear of Murray Edwards and Conroy has done a good job so far.

Conroy can use that cap space by taking on bad contracts and getting picks(like Montreal did with Monahan), not by pissing away picks so he can show “balls”.

This is a stupid take.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Well the easy answer is that the Flames' 2025 first round pick is subject to trade conditions, so an offer sheet that would send that pick as compensation (ie this off-season) is out of the question.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Well the easy answer is that the Flames' 2025 first round pick is subject to trade conditions, so an offer sheet that would send that pick as compensation (ie this off-season) is out of the question.
our 3rd is also tied up in those conditions, so any offer sheet would have to be in the $2,290,458 to $4,580,917 range. Then you have to ask yourself, would you trade pick 33-42 for either of them?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
our 3rd is also tied up in those conditions, so any offer sheet would have to be in the $2,290,458 to $4,580,917 range. Then you have to ask yourself, would you trade pick 33-42 for either of them?
Yeah, probably. Only to troll Edmonton though because they'd match. Maybe structure the offer sheet to be completely in the player's favour.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

That sounds like an idea as bold as offroading in a sports car. Flames fans would be in shambles offering a high 2025 pick for either calibre of guy.

We could get a far better RFA than those guys trading our unprotected 1st.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Offer sheeting them and losing picks, does not show “balls”, it would show how dumb Conroy is. And Conroy is not dumb, this is the first time that a GM has the ear of Murray Edwards and Conroy has done a good job so far.

Conroy can use that cap space by taking on bad contracts and getting picks(like Montreal did with Monahan), not by pissing away picks so he can show “balls”.

This is a stupid take.
Speaking of stupid takes.

Both of them are worth a 2nd in compensation and are in the age group Conroy is already targeting.

"can use" is not exactly "used" so let's wait with the praises until he actually does weaponise the cap space

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Speaking of stupid takes.

Both of them are worth a 2nd in compensation and are in the age group Conroy is already targeting.

"can use" is not exactly "used" so let's wait with the praises until he actually does weaponise the cap space

I was going to put in my post unless we are only offering a second... But then I was also thinking we'd have too big of a logjam of wingers.

I think we'd have to trade winger for winger to make it work. Like Duehr and a 3rd instead of a second in an offersheet for Holloway, the local kid.

Actually, isn't he supposed to be kinda like a pospisil type?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Any offer between $2,290,458 - $4,580,917 would require a 2nd round draft pick as compensation. I have to wonder... are Holloway or Broberg worth what would probably be an early 2nd round pick? Maybe Broberg. Holloway I'm not sure about.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Columbus is so stacked up front, I hope Conroy gets creative and tries to pry some of their young talent. Something like Merzlinkins+pick or Sillinger or Brindley for a later pick. Or we add a bit for Kent Johnson. Or maybe a 3-way deal involving Spencer Knight to Columbus and Merzlinkins+ to us. Or maybe we just target Knight and see if we can turn him into a valuable asset.

We’re just so stacked at W and D now that targeting a more expensive goalie as a cap dump with additional assets might be the way to go

Last edited:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Any offer between $2,290,458 - $4,580,917 would require a 2nd round draft pick as compensation. I have to wonder... are Holloway or Broberg worth what would probably be an early 2nd round pick? Maybe Broberg. Holloway I'm not sure about.

Neither are worth 2nds.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Columbus is so stacked up front, I hope Conroy gets creative and tries to pry some of their young talent. Something like Merzlinkins+pick or Sillinger or Brindley for a later pick. Or we add a bit for Kent Johnson. Or maybe a 3-way deal involving Spencer Knight to Columbus and Merzlinkins+ to us. Or maybe we just target Knight and see if we can turn him into a valuable asset.

We’re just so stacked at W and D now that targeting a more expensive goalie as a cap dump with additional assets might be the way to go

Columbus suffers from theoretical stackedness.
A team that is actually stacked up front would have a couple forwards with more than 50 points.

Reactions: User1996

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

A 2.289 offersheet to either could put the Oilers in an awkward spot. They are already in a position of needing to move someone (Kane) to become cap compliant, this would put them on a very limited window to do so.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Columbus suffers from theoretical stackedness.
A team that is actually stacked up front would have a couple forwards with more than 50 points.
100% lol. I just mean they have a ton of forwards, not necessarily good ones. Seems like at least one of Kent Johnson and Sillinger might be stuck in bottom-6 roles so it would be a good time to swoop in.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
100% lol. I just mean they have a ton of forwards, not necessarily good ones. Seems like at least one of Kent Johnson and Sillinger might be stuck in bottom-6 roles so it would be a good time to swoop in.

I mentioned something similar but via the Kraken. Attempt to pry off that extra centre prospect with some extra futures and aim for a ceiling 2C who can be trained in our system by Kadri and Backlund now. If he can go higher, pure gravy.

Kinda like a Lundell behind Barkov/Reinhart/Bennett situation.

For a long time Arizona was like this as well. But IMO they weren't really alive nor dead contending/rebuilding, pure awesome or crap. We are in that realm right now IMO where it's a very fine line between a quick (but major) strip down of the roster to retool or rebuild. A few more moves by Conroy and I think it'll be more obvious if this is a speed rebuild or more of a retool though IMO.

I get that some of you have enough evidence to be content in calling it a rebuild, that's fine. I don't feel quite there yet. I feel like we just started to see the shape of what Conroy is hoping to build. Just consider me a weirdo splitting hairs who needs a bit more info before concluding definitively whether it's a retool or speed rebuild.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
A 2.289 offersheet to either could put the Oilers in an awkward spot. They are already in a position of needing to move someone (Kane) to become cap compliant, this would put them on a very limited window to do so.
Why would they sign for that to play in Calgary?

Rhetorical question, because it still seems people don't understand what offer sheets are and why they are included in the CBA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad