Speculation: Armchair GM 2023-24 Season. If we can't say "Rebuild" what do we call it?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Just guessing here... if everyone is healthy opening night

Huberdeau - Sharangovich - Mantha
Zary - Kadri - Kuzmenko
Coleman - Backlund - Coronato
Pelletier - Pospisil - Lomberg
x: Rooney

Weegar - Andersson
Bahl - Miromanov
Solovyov - Bean
x: Pachal/Hanley

Wolf/Vladar
The forward group is passable, but those bottom 2 pairs are likely getting turnstiled every night.

Hoping for a lot of 4-3 games

Reactions: Fig

Khrox

May 31, 2018
The conditions of the next few first round picks basically prevent an offersheet until the conditions are resolved
Yes, but if they're willing to match offersheets (things that are expected to be 1st+), the trade we'd make have to beat that. I'd still definitely inquire about it, but you're definitely looking at something that could potentially be more expensive than you'd like

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
So on paper, we added a lot of goals to this roster year over year which is something that’ll be interesting to see how it plays out. Out was Mangiapane’s 14 goals and Lindholm’s 9 for a total of 23 goals. In was Kuzmenko, who gave us a 40 goal pace while he was playing for us. Mantha scored 23, but was also pacing for 30 when he was in Washington. If Coronato take’s Mangiapane’s roll full time next year, I’d be very confident he replaces Mangiapane’s 14 goals as well. The real wildcard is the powerplay, which I don’t think can possibly be as terrible as it was last year. A full season of Kuzmenko, Mantha, and a new PP coach should give a large uptick there. Any profession from Zary could add as well.

Just going strictly off numbers and estimates of 30 for Kuz, 25 for Mantha, and 14 for Coronato, that’d be a net increase of 32 goals for our team. Most of that advantage will be wiped off by either negative goal regressions to players like Weegar, Coleman, and possibly Sharangovich, or by the sheer amount of additional goals we will allow barring major progression from all of Bahl, Miro, Wolf, and Vladar. But in theory, that additional 32 goals would’ve gave us the 6th best offense this past season. Could be a fun year to be a fan, interesting to see how the offense actually translates.

Another interesting tidbit, out of the 10 players we drafted this year, only Misa was under 6’0”. We’ve also added Bahl (6’6”), Miromanov (6’4”), and now Mantha (6’5”) in the last ~5 months. Conroy’s plan on getting bigger is still in full motion.

Last edited:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Two things, does Sharangovich sustain his shooting % and is Coleman a 30 goal guy going forward or does he go back to his average of ~20 goals?

Also I believe the Flames finished 2nd in the league in 3rd period comebacks last year. I mentioned it a lot during the end of the season, but if we go back to league average and lose half of those instead the Flames ARE a bottom 5 team last year WITH Markstrom and a better d-core.

@super6646 is right, the forward group isn't that bad. The bottom 4 d though are pretty 'meh' at best.

Right now I have the Flames finishing in the bottom 10, we'll see how the bottom teams do, but they're still all pretty awful. San Jose and Chicago still have dumpster fire rosters. Chicago has bums and Bedard, San Jose has no one if Celebrini/Smith don't work out this year.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I will also add that the Flames are looking good going into the McKenna draft in 2026 and DuPont in 2027 as I think Ras is gone (he won't re-sign and will be traded), Backlund if he really wants a chance at Cup will also get dealt. Another down year and I think Coleman and Kadri also ask to be traded next off season as neither (more so Coleman) signed to be on a re-building roster.

Who knows how Wolf turns out though, if he is legit then all those plans are down the drain because to properly tank you need bad goaltending, like .860% 3.5 GAA bad.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Two things, does Sharangovich sustain his shooting % and is Coleman a 30 goal guy going forward or does he go back to his average of ~20 goals?

Also I believe the Flames finished 2nd in the league in 3rd period comebacks last year. I mentioned it a lot during the end of the season, but if we go back to league average and lose half of those instead the Flames ARE a bottom 5 team last year WITH Markstrom and a better d-core.

@super6646 is right, the forward group isn't that bad. The bottom 4 d though are pretty 'meh' at best.

Right now I have the Flames finishing in the bottom 10, we'll see how the bottom teams do, but they're still all pretty awful. San Jose and Chicago still have dumpster fire rosters. Chicago has bums and Bedard, San Jose has no one if Celebrini/Smith don't work out this year.
Chicago added a bunch today, Brodie & Martinez on the backend, TT, Bertuzzi, Maroon up front, and Brossoit to backup Mrazek. They also added Mikheyev via trade and should have a healthy Taylor Hall. Suggesting they're all bums is grossly inaccurate.

San Jose added Toffoli and Wennberg. So they have a little more than just Celebrini

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The forward group is passable, but those bottom 2 pairs are likely getting turnstiled every night.

Hoping for a lot of 4-3 games

I just hope these guys keep it somewhat entertaining.
I expect a lot of losing, there's no question. Young lineups generally lose a lot, even when they have star power (which we don't).

Like, I just want to see growth. I'd love to see Zary moved to centre full-time to see if he can handle that. Then Pospisil as well, try him out down the middle too at times to see what we have there. I'd like to see a full season from Coronato, where he plays 70+ games in the NHL and shows he belongs here.

I think we're past the point of a Dallas style retool, in my opinion. Now I think it's just old fashion badness for a couple seasons.
24/25 - Stink, Lotto pick hopefully draft a franchise player.
25/26 - Stink, Lotto pick hopefully draft a franchise player.
26/27 - Start trending to being relevant - get that 8-9-10 pick.
27/28 - New arena, be in a spot to contend for a wildcard.

I know it's optimistic but the Leafs did it in about the time frame... you have to get the 1OA and it has to hit for sure.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I just hope these guys keep it somewhat entertaining.
I expect a lot of losing, there's no question. Young lineups generally lose a lot, even when they have star power (which we don't).

Like, I just want to see growth. I'd love to see Zary moved to centre full-time to see if he can handle that. Then Pospisil as well, try him out down the middle too at times to see what we have there. I'd like to see a full season from Coronato, where he plays 70+ games in the NHL and shows he belongs here.

I think we're past the point of a Dallas style retool, in my opinion. Now I think it's just old fashion badness for a couple seasons.
24/25 - Stink, Lotto pick hopefully draft a franchise player.
25/26 - Stink, Lotto pick hopefully draft a franchise player.
26/27 - Start trending to being relevant - get that 8-9-10 pick.
27/28 - New arena, be in a spot to contend for a wildcard.

I know it's optimistic but the Leafs did it in about the time frame... you have to get the 1OA and it has to hit for sure.
Outside of regular season performance the Leafs haven't really done jack sh*t with that 1OA and are still trying to figure out their defense and goalie. Now they have Treliving which means they will be back to the lottery in 3 years.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Outside of regular season performance the Leafs haven't really done jack sh*t with that 1OA and are still trying to figure out their defense and goalie. Now they have Treliving which means they will be back to the lottery in 3 years.

I mean, the playoffs in the NHL are a bit of a crapshoot to be fair.
Having a 105 point regular season team consistently would be nice in my humble opinion

You have to have a GM between the boy wizard Dubas and the meat and potato Trelivings of the world.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I mean, the playoffs in the NHL are a bit of a crapshoot to be fair.
Having a 105 point regular season team consistently would be nice in my humble opinion

You have to have a GM between the boy wizard Dubas and the meat and potato Trelivings of the world.
to be fair the most interesting thing about the Leafs is they are the closest pro North American team that has a chance to break 108 yrs without a league championship :cool:...

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
What are the chances some of the vets ask for a trade between now and the trade deadline? Who do you think those vets will be?

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
What are the chances some of the vets ask for a trade between now and the trade deadline? Who do you think those vets will be?
I think , these players have already asked:
Kuzmenko - agreed to when acquired
Coleman - locker clean out
Andersson - the day Markstrom was traded

Kadri and Weegar will probably ask at the end of the 2024/25 season

Reactions: viper0220

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002

If Coleman is anywhere near as productive, we should for sure sell high
Kuzmenko will likely need some retention at the TDL, but if he can also be productive, could get a nice return. He'll get a ton of opportunity. Same thing with Mantha, but at least he shouldn't need retention.
Ras will get alot more PP time, and if we do go more offense, maybe he can get to the 50 point mark

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I agree with these.
I assume Backs will get dealt his contract year to the contender of his choice.

Not sure about the Razzy part, but I could see him wanting to get out of here. He'll be like 32-33 by the time this team is ready to go at it again, that's skipping a pretty significant part of your career. Then again, if Calgary pays him heftily I'm sure he'd be happy to be part of the misery a la Huberdeau.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I do hope Parekh gets some time early. Up to his 9 games. Hell, give him PP2 time.

Weegar - Miromanov
Bean - Andersson
Bahl - Parekh

Last edited:

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I do hope Parekh gets some time early. Up to his 9 games. He’ll, give him PP2 time.

Weegar - Miromanov
Bean - Andersson
Bahl - Parek
I don't think he's physically ready yet. But it will be interesting to see who of Parek, Bruzt & Poirier can stand out and make it thru camp the longest.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I don't think he's physically ready yet. But it will be interesting to see who of Parek, Bruzt & Poirier can stand out and make it thru camp the longest.
Already 6’, 178 with a full offseason to go.

But I don’t think a prospect needs to be physically ready in order to get their 9 games or less in. At that point it’s more about getting them experience rather than expecting any groundbreaking results.

He’s one of those guys that’s probably almost too good for the OHL. I think his development would be better off spending time skating with the Flames for an extra couple weeks, playing in a handful of games, and maybe watching from the press box for a few than going back early to Saginaw.

Plus, the beginning of the year is likely the only chance he has to see NHL time this year. Poirier, Bruzstewicz, etc will have all season to get a look.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Already 6’, 178 with a full offseason to go.

But I don’t think a prospect needs to be physically ready in order to get their 9 games or less in. At that point it’s more about getting them experience rather than expecting any groundbreaking results.

He’s one of those guys that’s probably almost too good for the OHL. I think his development would be better off spending time skating with the Flames for an extra couple weeks, playing in a handful of games, and maybe watching from the press box for a few than going back early to Saginaw.

Plus, the beginning of the year is likely the only chance he has to see NHL time this year. Poirier, Bruzstewicz, etc will have all season to get a look.
I don't think he's too good for the OHL at all, and not ready for the NHL IMO
Camp will be a learning experience, especially if he can make it past first couple rounds of cuts.

But if he can show he's head & shoulders better than the other 2, then sure, lets see what he can do for a couple games.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Weegar and Huberdeau stay. The rest of the team is gutted within 2 years

I agree, but Kadri is a wildcard. If he demands out and Connie can get value for him I think he's gone as well. If he wants out, but the value isn't there (like we have to throw in a 1st or something to trade him) he stays.

I don't think we bottom out until the McKenna or DuPont drafts. Next years draft from what I can tell seems loaded at the top with centers so we should be in a good position to draft a top line/6 center.

Next year has the other Misa brother Michael, Ivan Ryabkin, James Hagens, Anton Frondell, Roger McQueen.

Reactions: Rubi

IharRB

Dec 17, 2023
If you look closely at the players who came to Calgary as a result of the trades, you can conclude that Conroy is betting on Dan Milstein.
The first-round draft pick also speaks to this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240703-045817.jpg
    Screenshot_20240703-045817.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad