Confirmed Signing with Link: Arizona signs Jakob Chychrun to ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Any chance he plays this year? Maybe he's not too fond of how Sarnia developed him last year

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Honestly, even though I'm not a big Chychrun fan, I think he's able to crack an NHL lineup like Arizona's. Definitely more ready for the NHL than Sergachev and Juolevi IMO.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
He would need to have a really impressive training camp. With 8 dmen signed to 1-way contracts it's pretty clear Arizona isn't expecting him on the roster.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
He would need to have a really impressive training camp. With 8 dmen signed to 1-way contracts it's pretty clear Arizona isn't expecting him on the roster.

Yeah it's gonna be tough for him to make the roster given the logam there. Though I think he'd have more opportunity to make it on other teams that have lack of defensive depth. One of Chychrun's assets is his NHL ready size and strength. I think if he had a good camp on a team with an opening, he'd get the standard NHL tryout.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Honestly, even though I'm not a big Chychrun fan, I think he's able to crack an NHL lineup like Arizona's. Definitely more ready for the NHL than Sergachev and Juolevi IMO.

OEL - Murphy
Goligoski - Stone
Connauton - Michalek
Dahlbeck - Schenn

is definitely not easy to crack. They have a great D corps, it's the goalies and the forwards that are less great (mostly the goalies, forward mostly need experience). I'd say the one of the 3 that would have an easiest chance to crack a roster would be Juolevi (depending on how Tryamkin do on small ice mostly), followed by Sergachev.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015

It's funny though, they really like Sarnia D. Murphy, Chycrun and DeAngelo with serious ties.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Physically, he's very mature already, and a pretty good skater for his size to boot. Just not sure he's ready for NHL speed. And while I think he'd at least deserve a 9-games try (depending on his camp), they have 8 D on 1-way contracts...

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Can we get the guy's name spelled properly in the title?
It's funny though, they really like Sarnia D. Murphy, Chycrun and DeAngelo with serious ties.
... and in this post?

C-H-Y-C-H-R-U-N

Still surprised the Coyotes could turn 20 OA into this guy. Great to have another stud, blue-chip young defenseman in the organization.
Physically, he's very mature already, and a pretty good skater for his size to boot. Just not sure he's ready for NHL speed. And while I think he'd at least deserve a 9-games try (depending on his camp), they have 8 D on 1-way contracts...
No reason. Send him back to Sarnia, let him be captain there and let him do his thing at the WJC this winter.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

I don't know about that. His size and strength are there, but the knock on him last year was his mistakes with the puck. That won't be tolerated at the NHL level, and they'll likely give him time to sort it out elsewhere.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Why on earth would they try to rush him onto the roster this year, when they clearly have the depth to give him time to develop? He needs to go back to junior and get his confidence up. It sounds like there's some disappointment from slipping and he wants to show people they made a mistake to let him slide. I'm hopeful a season without the draft focus will let him get some confidence and swagger before he gets a serious look.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Why on earth would they try to rush him onto the roster this year, when they clearly have the depth to give him time to develop? He needs to go back to junior and get his confidence up. It sounds like there's some disappointment from slipping and he wants to show people they made a mistake to let him slide. I'm hopeful a season without the draft focus will let him get some confidence and swagger before he gets a serious look.
Because if he isn't skating 22 minutes/game by his 19th birthday, he's a bust, because internet, because short attention spans, because chem trails. Rare is the 18 year defenseman who is ready to play NHL hockey, especially ahead of 25 year olds who are already under contract. He should absolutely, 100% go back to the OHL this year, continue to develop his game, continue to play 1st pairing, all-situation minutes, go play at World Juniors. There's absolutely no reason to rush him to Glendale.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
No, he shouldn't play this year. But give him an extended look in camp so he gets a good taste. Maybe even give him a game, then send him back. Next year is a different story.

AZ, you guys are going to have a filthy team for a long time.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So they're not smart cause of Fowler and Chychrun ? That's it ?

No, I'm saying I feel he was a victim of overscouting. He's had the spotlight on him for such a longtime, and it's almost as though the scouts were trying to find something wrong with him.

With Ekblad, the worry was he's not a franchise dman. Well that was garbage. I've heard people say Chychrun hasn't ever really been pushed up until this season. And when he was finally "pushed" this season, they didn't like how he responded at the U18's. These kids play so much hockey, maybe he was just fatigued from a long season. I think that's such an idiotic reason to pass on a player.

Kylington fell to almost the 3rd round because of attitude issues. This season he answered every criticism of his and passed with flying colours, he even played in an NHL game. He easily looks deserving of being a top 15 pick in a redraft.

I think/hope that many GM's will kick themselves for passing on Chychrun. Good on the Yotes for not being so stupid. I hope he becomes an Allstar there for many seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad