Confirmed with Link: Arizona Coyotes to remain Glendale through 2018-2019

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Has getting to Gila River always been this much of an annoyance for the East Valley folks? Or has population/traffic just increased so much since 2003?

Didn't they anticipate this commuting issue when they chose Glendale?
One thing that changed was when they started charging for parking. Back when it was free the ingress egress was a thing of beauty that saved a good amount of time. I understand why they had to do away with that but now you have to make that long drive and then deal with a bunch of traffic once you get there, that wasn't always the case.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
One thing that changed was when they started charging for parking. Back when it was free the ingress egress was a thing of beauty that saved a good amount of time. I understand why they had to do away with that but now you have to make that long drive and then deal with a bunch of traffic once you get there, that wasn't always the case.

They need to leverage technology similar to toll roads to speed parking lot access.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The only thing on the franchise's collective mind at the time was a new taxpayer-funded arena. Steve Ellman and Jerry Moyes were dreaming of creating a western version of Kierland Commons and they figured that the hockey team would accelerate the process. We all know how that turned out thanks to the recession. But after Los Arcos fell through and Glendale offered nine figures' worth of incentive, nobody involved gave a tinker's cuss about the drivetime.

Of course at that point I doubt many people foresaw the explosion of sprawl on the outlying borders of the Valley, either, or that Gilbert would become the largest incorporated town in the United States.

Yep. If, say, the new arena is built up by Salt River Fields, folks in those southeast cities and towns are still gonna have to fight through that nightmare to get to games. There's just no untying the giant knot into which traffic gets twisted around the 101/202 nexus, not to mention the eternal horror show that the I-10 is. If the arena somehow gets built down in that area... well, even the biggest complainers about GRA are going to miss the easy ingress/egress.

You would be going against traffic so it would be fine. Maybe getting home to pick up the kids and get back up to the game in time might still be difficult, but not nearly as bad as trying to get to GRA in time.

sec107

Dec 21, 2017
Let me ask the folks who are commuting varying distances to games a couple of other questions:
1. What about game start times? They have predominantly gone with 7 PM during the week and 6 PM on weekends. I assume the weekend start times aren't an issue for most people but would a 7:30 or even 8 PM start time during the week make life easier? I've often wondered why they don't experiment with different start times. Obviously a later start time means a later finish and later getting home for people who have work or school the next day, but maybe 7:30 is a happy medium that avoids some rush hour traffic coming and gives people a little extra time to get to the arena?
2. I've often wondered why the team doesn't become actively involved in some form of shuttle service to the rink. Perhaps buses from Scottsdale or Tempe or downtown. Perhaps a promotion with local restaurants...a game ticket, a beer and a burger, and a bus ride to and from the game for a set fee. Does that sound like a viable option?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
2. I've often wondered why the team doesn't become actively involved in some form of shuttle service to the rink. Perhaps buses from Scottsdale or Tempe or downtown. Perhaps a promotion with local restaurants...a game ticket, a beer and a burger, and a bus ride to and from the game for a set fee. Does that sound like a viable option?

They have done exactly this in the past. But the problem is that one bus doesn't make much difference, and at any rate the bus gets hung up in the same traffic as a car. A subway or commuter rail system is the only practical way to significantly cut down on the aggravation of commuting around the Valley given all of the sprawl we've gone through in the past 20 years.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ

I'll support the Coyotes with tickets and concessions, but not parking. Legal parking shown below, a quarter mile farther away.
EiiZF8K.jpg

Reactions: CC96

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I was a STH for a few years and the price increase with inability to sell games I couldn't attend bothered me more each year. But the final straw for me was when they started to charge for parking and I don't care what their reason was, it was too much too soon for a worse product??? No recipe for success IMO.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I was a STH for a few years and the price increase with inability to sell games I couldn't attend bothered me more each year. But the final straw for me was when they started to charge for parking and I don't care what their reason was, it was too much too soon for a worse product??? No recipe for success IMO.

The Coyotes aren't going to turn a profit without charging for parking, no matter where the arena is. And once a business establishes a revenue stream they don't give it up.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'll support the Coyotes with tickets and concessions, but not parking. Legal parking shown below, a quarter mile farther away.
EiiZF8K.jpg
I'd gladly pay for parking, but whenever I have it's taken me forever to leave because they only open 1 f***ing exit in the entire lot. Parking at Cabelas is more of a walk, but I'm able to leave right away.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
I've been around a couple of days longer than most of you, and was quite surprised the first time I went to GRA that parking was free. Never saw that before at a sporting event. Everyone charges for parking...reality of life.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I've been around a couple of days longer than most of you, and was quite surprised the first time I went to GRA that parking was free. Never saw that before at a sporting event. Everyone charges for parking...reality of life.
I go to Cardinals games, park at school, get bused to stadium and back and pay nothing.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Tanger outlet, anywhere along the south edge of the lot. Exit the lot going South (you have to, it's one way), right on Maryland, left onto 101 HOV, easy peasy.

If you feel guilty about not paying, Renaissance hotel garage, ground floor east side, $10. Exit South from the garage onto westbound Maryland, onto the 101 South in 2 minutes.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Part of the reason why they didn't charge for parking was two fold. One it was a lure for people to come all the way out there who were paying downtown (offsets the gas costs). And two.... Glendale was already getting a fee from each ticket sold.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Tanger outlet, anywhere along the south edge of the lot. Exit the lot going South (you have to, it's one way), right on Maryland, left onto 101 HOV, easy peasy.

If you feel guilty about not paying, Renaissance hotel garage, ground floor east side, $10. Exit South from the garage onto westbound Maryland, onto the 101 South in 2 minutes.

I do either of these, depending on how much time I have.

Reactions: GiveAFlyingPuck

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I just pay cause I'm lazy (getting out of lot A/B is WAY easier than the other lots)

My favorite people are the ones who circle around the lot for a half hour right in front of Hell's Half Acre looking for a free spot there instead of walking from the theater side. You know who you are ;)

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I just pay cause I'm lazy (getting out of lot A/B is WAY easier than the other lots)

My favorite people are the ones who circle around the lot for a half hour right in front of Hell's Half Acre looking for a free spot there instead of walking from the theater side. You know who you are ;)
They're the reason I park on the east side of the arena.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
“We can’t spend all our time answering every rumor that comes out of every Canadian blog,” Coyotes president Steve Patterson said, referring to relocation rumors that have surrounded the team in recent years. “There are folks that don’t like any Southern U.S. cities in the league and they’d probably be happy with going back to the original six. Eventually they’ll see there is a lot of success down here.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo.../?hootPostID=8cb579945cdbe1afc0b16bab597a7a53

Awesome.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
“We can’t spend all our time answering every rumor that comes out of every Canadian blog,” Coyotes president Steve Patterson said, referring to relocation rumors that have surrounded the team in recent years. “There are folks that don’t like any Southern U.S. cities in the league and they’d probably be happy with going back to the original six. Eventually they’ll see there is a lot of success down here.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo.../?hootPostID=8cb579945cdbe1afc0b16bab597a7a53

Awesome.

There's going to be people who shit all over this on this forum like they always do, but i take this as a positive.

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
My only concern from that article is we're apparently selling other teams' merchandise. This is the Coyotes arena, no? Try buying a Leafs jersey at the Bell Centre...

What sort of money would we get off that sale, anyway? If we sell a jersey with a Blackhawks logo on it, don't they get most of the money?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad