Proposal: ARI - MTL

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Top3 picks are almost never traded to begin with. Top-3 pick when the team is hosting?

Leblanc was picked around where he was slated to.
Top 3 sure that is true and it has nothing to do with the location of the draft.
Leblanc i dont know. I thought Habs reached because they were hosting which turned out to be a mistake.

BenG

Sep 15, 2015
Montreal
Habs say no for the following reasons in order of importance:

1. Chychrun will be UFA in 3 years and even if he stays with Habs will likely be a 10+ million dollar contract as a top pairing UFA defenseman. So either he leaves or costs a ton of money.

2. Habs system in terms of Defense prospects is LD heavy and we have two guys who project as top 4 possibly top pairing 2/3 sort of players in Romanov and Guhle. This pick if we go defenseman we can grab Nemec or Jiricek and have a likely top pairing RHD top play with one of them.

3. Draft is in Montreal and the pick is almost certainly top 5 and it's new management's first draft. Perfect storm for them to make their mark on the team with a rebuild.

He will cost in UFA but feel it will be under 10M. Likely less than Jones/Makar/etc. That’s fair considering the rest of our core will be cheap.

Our left D prospects means depth but no top-end, franchise talent. Romanov/Guhle will not be top 10 D in the league.

The point is that 23-year old top D are rarely available and it would take us years to acquire/develop one via the draft (if at all). It’s a guaranteed star versus a possible star.

BenG

Sep 15, 2015
Montreal
Yeah...I don't see Wright as Seguin level. Was thinking more of a Toews level two way elite centre at his peak.

Regardless. 3 years of cost controlled rookie will be extremely valuable.

Chychrun would be nice but we don't have the pieces to take a run

I think I take the franchise D over Toews…

Also, a rookie may be cost-controlled for the first three years but it wouldn’t matter as we wouldn’t be competitive. By the time our window opens, it would be payday a la Marner, Matthew’s, etc.

BenG

Sep 15, 2015
Montreal
It’s interesting for sure. But my fear would be the Habs add Chychrun, Price comes back, and the team gets re-energized and finishes with the 9th overall pick. A team back of them wins 2nd place, and the Yotes pick 10th.

Oh I meant this as a summer deal for next year.

Reactions: Arizonatah Coyetis

BenG

Sep 15, 2015
Montreal
They should say "yes", and ship back Dvorak for the other 1st rounder (Carolina's) + 2nd rounder in 2023....

Absolute best case scenario, Wright ends up as a decent, shoot-first center (Stamkos/Seguin) compared to a guarantee top 15 D. I’ll take the defensemen…

Bedard/Michkov is another story though.

BenG

Sep 15, 2015
Montreal
Cap likely to go up as well bringing Suzuki’s, Caulfield, Romanov’s, hit down. Don’t think we have any other big contracts yet.

Reactions: Captain97

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Why do you think it matters??? For the 10 000 fans with nothing better do do in July and prospects + their families?

You dont think the fans would rejoice like crazy if Bettman announces a trade and Habs get good player(s)X or Y or Z?

Was done before btw.

Remember Louis Leblanc. Some say Habs caved to their fans…
they always end up caving to the fans. They just keep pressuring umtil they get what the want.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I think I take the franchise D over Toews…

Also, a rookie may be cost-controlled for the first three years but it wouldn’t matter as we wouldn’t be competitive. By the time our window opens, it would be payday a la Marner, Matthew’s, etc.
By the time the window would be open Chycrun would be elsewhere ad he's a UFA at the end of hos contract

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Absolute best case scenario, Wright ends up as a decent, shoot-first center (Stamkos/Seguin) compared to a guarantee top 15 D. I’ll take the defensemen…

Bedard/Michkov is another story though.
Only on hf is the 17 year old locked in stone ... but the 16 year old ... next Gretzky.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I mean you can say that about any player really. Same issue with Suzuki, no?
Suzukinis signed for 8 years starting in 2022-2023.

Next year Chycrun will have 3 years left on his deal. It'd just plain stupid. Keep the pick, and draft a Dman who'll end up just as good and who you'll have for the next 7years at least

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
It’s interesting for sure. But my fear would be the Habs add Chychrun, Price comes back, and the team gets re-energized and finishes with the 9th overall pick. A team back of them wins 2nd place, and the Yotes pick 10th.
Or worse, the MTL pick ends up 11th, the yotes get it anyway (as the pic owed from the Dvorak trade) and they ended up trading a young 1D in Chych for Carolinas late 1st

trading for that pick now doesn’t make sense

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Montreal: 2022 1st (top 3 pick)

for

Arizona: Chychrun

Habs get a young top pairing defensemen, under contract to speed up their rebuild. Yotes get a top pick in Wright/Savoie/Nemec to add to their draft picks.

Who says yes/no?
No! Habs never trade that pick with Draft in Montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad