Arena Enhancement Discussion Thread

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
I personally love that they got rid of straws and lids, or that they might be trying to. Do I think this is more about cutting costs? Absolutley. Do I think there are bigger issues out there than straws? Yes, again. But like anything its a start. People already go around with draft beers with no lids, how is this any different? And as for kids and those with disabilities, I think its a great time to start a habbit of bringing your own straw or cup, maybe the arena could start a bring your own cup promo where they will discount $1 or something? Either way, its not a huge deal imo, its simply mngt trying to save a buc and seem trendy for "going green"
Actually at the last Vanderbilt football game I went to (a month or so ago), they did offer a refill option on a souvenir cup for $2 at their concession stands. They did not advertise it well but it did save me a few dollars and keeps a a few extra and perfectly good cups from being tossed in the bin on a oppressively hot day too. Would be a great option for Bridgestone to consider too. Plus if you are toting in an empty cup, I really do not think that there would be issues coming back into the arena with it...

My idea would be that they could set up a unique QR or scan code on each cup to offer incentives for fans to recycle/re-use at games 'green rewards', a vehicle for additional in-house promo opportunities, and offer a lot of data to track the fate of these cups that could be very useful and lucrative to organizations to help become greener. I think that that also would be a huge benefit to season ticket holders to also be empowered to be able to choose to re-use and recycle at games while saving a few dollars at a time.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
My guess is the team won't do a lot of listening about the "going green" stuff at first.......people always complain when things change. It's easy to just be like yeah whatever they'll be fine. Now in a few months if they're still getting constant complaints about it, they might be forced to look at some things.

The Milwaukee newspaper had this section called the Green Sheet because the 4 pages were green instead of white. It contained comic strips, word puzzles, horoscopes, offbeat or historical stories, this date in history info, birthdays of various celebrities... It was dropped when the 2 remaining major newspapers in town (owned by the same company) merged to become the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on April 1, 1995. Subscribers complained for TWENTY YEARS that they wanted the Green Sheet back before it came back! Circulation had fallen to half of the pre-merger number. That got attention.

At work, the younger people, under 35, all want to read the Green Sheet. They frequently ignore the front page or sports sections.

The moral of the story is that bad management thinks that only they know best and if you have a mob with torches and pitchforks all for their "benefit", they will actually listen to you, rather than go out of business or die on the spot. Good luck with the lids; you are going to need it!

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
They never gave me any problems bringing an empty water bottle, but the water is a little off tasting. I didn't have a spare lid but I did bring a plastic straw for Bella.

Reactions: valeriammm

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
Went to the grilled cheese place last night. Great grilled cheese but good thing I had 25 minutes!!!
Touch screens Designed by an idiot with not clear instructions, poor set up/ line control. Did have one person to help 3 screens but he was not proactive or interested. So took 5 times as long as speaking to a person. Then you go to the hidden side to pick up and realize , oh, there's 40 people here waiting for their Sammy.......... what a shit show. Worker trying to yell numbers like at Starbucks and no one can hear. Plus 3 different register have different series of numbers.
Great grill cheese, but I don't have 25 minutes each game.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I hate the concession stand screens. Confusing if you are trying to get your STH discount. I couldn't use leftover gift card money to purchase something in the pro shop. Then when they scanned my STH badge, it screwed up the whole transaction.

Reactions: predfan98

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
My desire for straws and lids is much more altruistic than "spilling" or something getting into it (like peanut shells etc). I'm a simple man - I want to be able to mix my airplane bottle booze into my sodas....
Seems to me that no lids would facilitate this. ;-)

Reactions: adsfan

AnalogKid

Oct 3, 2017
Am I the only one who thinks the new Arena host is amazingly annoying?

I absolutely refuse to order using a screen at a kiosk, they will lose a sale before I do that, this is one of the main reasons we don't go to Walmart. That being said we've only gone to the first two games and both times my food was horrible (very bad meatballs at Wicked Weed and hot dog of the day on lower concourse, use fresh buns fellas!)I think I'm going to just start getting to town earlier and eating before we go in. I am now stashing a lid and straw in the bag we bring into the arena...good times.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN

Starting to think Mav was sort of a last second departure and this was the short notice option. Seems nice but just doesn't have the arena presence (?) of her predecessors. Plus let's be honest... Mav might be the GOAT.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
No, in fact judging by feedback online, on Twitter, and on sports radio, I think we've yet to find someone who doesn't find her incredibly annoying. But credit to the team, they turned her mic waaaaaaaaaaaaaay down so now she's not really all that noticeable. From where I am anyway.

Reactions: AnalogKid

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007

I absolutely refuse to order using a screen at a kiosk, they will lose a sale before I do that, this is one of the main reasons we don't go to Walmart. That being said we've only gone to the first two games and both times my food was horrible (very bad meatballs at Wicked Weed and hot dog of the day on lower concourse, use fresh buns fellas!)I think I'm going to just start getting to town earlier and eating before we go in. I am now stashing a lid and straw in the bag we bring into the arena...good times.
Yes I am hopefully going to get there early to next game. And am going to walk thru and determine where and if I will spend money for the rest of the season. This whole thing may save me $.
The whole screen thing was why I didn't use a couple of concession stands last year to just get things like popcorn, etc last year. The hassle and increased wait time was too much.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
i do not ever use a self serve kiosk or checkout anywhere. if i pay for something, i am not checking myself out and all that. call me a lazy ass but that's taking a job from someone as well. yes i know it's 2018.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Would be awesome if they would stop doing whatever catering they're trying to do and start selling spaces to legit establishments. Think I got spoiled visiting Amalie Arena and Staples Center. I mean come on, who wouldn't rather have a Wetzel's or Auntie Anne's over whatever the generic pretzels are that we have??

Last edited:
who gives a shit about lids and straws? drink your drink and stop complaining

who can eat at a hockey game? i think the last time i ate at a game it was 2007 and i missed too much of the action trying to eat, never again

apparently maverick left right before preseason so it makes sense they had to last minute get the shrieking woman

no i do not need a receipt for my beer. plz stop asking

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I eat at the game often, but usually during warm-ups. It's a 2-hour drive from Decatur and my choices are to eat before I leave and be hungry by the end of the game, or eat when I get there and be good for the rest of the evening. So the refreshment stands are important to me.

I don't like handing my phone over for the ID card. Let me hold it while they scan it, or put a scanner where I can swipe my phone over it. Whatever. My phone is already broken. On top of which I don't really like the idea of someone handling food and phones. Phones aren't very sanitary. I don't even really like having to handle it myself right before eating.

Don't even get me started on the idea of ordering kiosks. Now, when I can order and pay from an app on my phone five minutes before the end of a period, then go pick up my food without a long line, then we'll be getting somewhere. But waiting in line to use a kiosk, then waiting in another line to get my food, is just nonsense.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Ordering kiosks are so stupid. The only bright side is that the concession stands behind me have no lines now because people just get pissed off and don't deal with it.

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018
Lol I had no idea there was such food snobbery at hockey games. Eat your over priced greasy hotdogs and nachos and stop whining.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad