Speculation: Are we nearing the end of the 7/8 year deals for players close to 30?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Sorry, but that contract is not "bad"

The problem with that player, and for the AVS, is the off-ice-life and problems of that player.
Sure, but it still statistically represents a contract that the Avalanche no longer want. For the purposes of this exercise it will count as a contract that a team doesn't want anymore, even if the circumstances are wholly unique.

In other words, if this contract expired next year, I don't think the Avs would care that much

Zito and Brisebois read this, laughed in Stanley cups and said here's another
I think I teed them up, eh?

I believe players and teams can mutually void a contract. Clearly players don't really care about a fresh start otherwise more of that would happen.

The buyout is the other option.

What may make sense is to make buyouts easier, and maybe soften the cap hit structure. Unlimited and can happen at anytime. I mean, there is no disadvantage to the player, as they get all their money, AND get new opportunities.

The only risk is teams with more money would use it to circumvent the cap more often, but as it isn't really used heavily today, there is room to tweak it.
It's just so rare a player would ever light money on fire like that.

Like, is Nurse terminating his contract even a real option? It would be the best for the oilers and probably Nurse's career, but he'll never make up that money.

Until we see a real player do it (not Zadina), it remains a tertiary option

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
As long as GMs are ambitious? Hell no.
Agree with this. If GM's didn't learn from the Kyle Okposo, Loui Erickson, Milan Lucic summer of fun they are not going to learn. How many teams were in on Jay Guetzel for max term? How do you think the Tanev, Pesce, Slavin contracts are going to look in the back half of those deals? (I will say all 3 d-men have lower AAV's than I was expecting though).

In most cases, GM's are trying to save their very high paying jobs. If it doesn't work and the next guy has to clean up a contract mess they left behind - such is life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad