Are we in Canada paranoid about 2026 or should we not be worried?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I know we Canadians dump on ourselves but we REALLY are good at hockey <-- at the risk of stating the obvious. :) And being good at hockey makes me HAPPY. :)
We aren't alone in dumping on ourselves when it comes to hockey, it's fans nature to do that, it just is more intense with us considering it's cultural significance here.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Wyatt Johnston with his 30th goal and 31st assist, tonight.

The kid is 20. LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Wyatt Johnson with his 30th goal and 31st assist, tonight.

The kid is 20. LOL.

Does anyone remember why on earth that kid was not on any of the World Junior teams? 2023 I get it, he's in the NHL. But 2022? He had a monster year and was a 1st round pick. That is basically a guarantee to make the team.

And I agree with you on Laf. I was a patient fan of him as well. I defended him a lot. I just saw something in him right in junior, he did not look like the Daigle type that was a bust. Just too blue chippy for me to ignore. I thought maybe it was a mental thing, but he definitely had and has the skill. He's flourishing now. Might be seeing him truly burst out now. Wouldn't shock me if he ends up flanking the LW on a line with one of the top centres. For example, the month of March he had 16 points in 14 games. I mentioned to people that he is not the only 1st overall pick - or high pick - that needed a few years to adjust and burst out. Man, people are impatient. We are spoiled with the Crosby/Ovechkin/McDavid/Bedard types that we forget these guys are the exceptions, not the rule for 18 year olds to dominate.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Does anyone remember why on earth that kid was not on any of the World Junior teams? 2023 I get it, he's in the NHL. But 2022? He had a monster year and was a 1st round pick. That is basically a guarantee to make the team.

And I agree with you on Laf. I was a patient fan of him as well. I defended him a lot. I just saw something in him right in junior, he did not look like the Daigle type that was a bust. Just too blue chippy for me to ignore. I thought maybe it was a mental thing, but he definitely had and has the skill. He's flourishing now. Might be seeing him truly burst out now. Wouldn't shock me if he ends up flanking the LW on a line with one of the top centres. For example, the month of March he had 16 points in 14 games. I mentioned to people that he is not the only 1st overall pick - or high pick - that needed a few years to adjust and burst out. Man, people are impatient. We are spoiled with the Crosby/Ovechkin/McDavid/Bedard types that we forget these guys are the exceptions, not the rule for 18 year olds to dominate.
Not sure why WJ never made a WJR team.

LAF was difficult to like for the first couple years. He never seemed to play hard. He also lacked... "something". At times "everything". However, I could not believe all the scouts were wrong about him.

I'm still a little worried his recent greatness will be a mirage but he looks like the real deal. If this continues and the Rangers give him PP1 minutes next year, he will be PPG+ in 2024/25.

Last edited:

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
He made the winter 2022 team. He had a long season with Windsor that year and had wrist surgery after, and missed the summer tournament. After that he was in the NHL for 2023

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Just be thankful that Canada doesn't have a population of 333,000,000 or we'd be the best at every sport.
Well, I am sorry if you are uncomfortable with the idea that you are competing with our 3rd/4th/5th rate athletes. I can't help that, I wish more Americans would play hockey, but they don't.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Well, I am sorry if you are uncomfortable with the idea that you are competing with our 3rd/4th/5th rate athletes. I can't help that, I wish more Americans would play hockey, but they don't.
Well, I am sorry if you are uncomfortable with the idea that someone else is better than you at something - even though you have a large population advantage. I can't help you with that.

• Haha
Reactions: jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
He is no more uncomfortable with that then you are with the fact you have a population of over 300 million.He's right........if we had a population that big with the hockey culture we have and our hockey infrastructure you could forget about the U.S ever having even the wildest chance of taking the heavyweight championship from Canada in hockey.

We would eat you alive till the end of time. After all, as you said yourself........all your best athletes play different sports.

Count your blessings instead of attempting to antagonize.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023

LAF was difficult to like for the first couple years. He never seemed to play hard. He also lacked... "something". At times "everything". However, I could not believe all the scouts were wrong about him.

I'm still a little worried his recent greatness will be a mirage but he looks like the real deal. If this continues and the Rangers give him PP1 minutes next year, he will be PPG+ in 2024/25.

I am going to say that the two top left wingers on Canada will be Lafreniere and Byfield. I figure Byfield shifts onto the wing rather easily. Two years can change a lot, and I see these guys for what they are now. Definitely the real deal, and it just took a while for them to get there because the 2020 draftees had a lot of hockey robbed from them at a critical time. This is why no one dominated that draft yet but there are a lot of gems from there now.

Just be thankful that our best athletes don't play hockey or it would be a bloodbath.

I think a Canada/USA game would be a physical battle regardless. I think the U.S. has bigger size up front and Canada more talent and depth. This is why if I was involved in their game plan I would use guys like the Tkachuk brothers and throw the body around a lot. I am sure this is no secret to whoever the coach will be (Torts?) but the U.S. won't be taken lightly either way. Quite frankly I haven't since 1996 taken them lightly. There was that 2004-'16 era where they didn't have the players that replaced the World Cup winning squad of 1996, but even then I always knew the Americans would bring their "A" game against Canada. They even made it close in 1976. We outshot them badly but won with a Sittler empty netter 4-2. Closer than it should have been.

He made the winter 2022 team. He had a long season with Windsor that year and had wrist surgery after, and missed the summer tournament. After that he was in the NHL for 2023

Makes sense

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I know but, as @jj cale said, he's just trying to antagonize. :)
I'm just a little sick of that tired old line about " if only we had our best athletes" it's an excuse of course and it's not always as cut and dry as it seems. Take basketball for instance, you won't find any better rate of athlete they have then what is playing that sport and just this past WC they couldn't even medal. Of course they always say...." but it's not our best playing" that one sound familiar to you? I'm sure it does. But as fans from other countries always say to us when we lose and don't have our best teams we should have the depth to cover. Fair enough................then the U.S in basketball SHOULD REALLY have the depth to cover. And yet they can't be better then........get this, France!! in fact, they can't even be better then little old Canada who took them out!! and Canada didn't even have it's best team there for gods sake.

Every advantage possible in terms of top athletes, population, etc..............and France and Canada were superior.

Holy shit.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I've put him on IGNORE so...
Anyway, boys, let's get back to the topic at hand, PLEASE....

:)

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Girls are playing now, and they are in tough.
It's nice to see Women's Hockey being more competitive - TBH. As for this game, we'll be fine. :)

So many Canadian kids from the 2019 Draft have disappointed. Alex Newhook, however, is making a comeback at 23 and playing really well - now that Montreal is giving him a chance. :thumbu:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I am going to say that the two top left wingers on Canada will be Lafreniere and Byfield. I figure Byfield shifts onto the wing rather easily. Two years can change a lot, and I see these guys for what they are now. Definitely the real deal, and it just took a while for them to get there because the 2020 draftees had a lot of hockey robbed from them at a critical time. This is why no one dominated that draft yet but there are a lot of gems from there now.

I think a Canada/USA game would be a physical battle regardless. I think the U.S. has bigger size up front and Canada more talent and depth. This is why if I was involved in their game plan I would use guys like the Tkachuk brothers and throw the body around a lot. I am sure this is no secret to whoever the coach will be (Torts?) but the U.S. won't be taken lightly either way. Quite frankly I haven't since 1996 taken them lightly. There was that 2004-'16 era where they didn't have the players that replaced the World Cup winning squad of 1996, but even then I always knew the Americans would bring their "A" game against Canada. They even made it close in 1976. We outshot them badly but won with a Sittler empty netter 4-2. Closer than it should have been.

Makes sense
In my opinion Canada doesn't have much if any of a skill advantage at this point. I also don't think the respective U.S. and Canadian rosters will be all that physical. Canada does have more depth, but I'm not sure that will make much of a difference this go around in a best on best.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It's nice to see Women's Hockey being more competitive - TBH. As for this game, we'll be fine. :)

So many Canadian kids from the 2019 Draft have disappointed. Alex Newhook, however, is making a comeback at 23 and playing really well - now that Montreal is giving him a chance. :thumbu:
Newhook has been o.k for us this year, we have a lot more work to do though. What has been really great has been the emergence of Slafkovsky can't believe people were writing that guy off after one 18 year old season. I knew he would show them, just had to figure things out with his size and skillset.

The crowds pretty tough here at HF.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Newhook has been o.k for us this year, we have a lot more work to do though. What has been really great has been the emergence of Slafkovsky can't believe people were writing that guy off after one 18 year old season. I knew he would show them, just had to figure things out with his size and skillset.

The crowds pretty tough here at HF.
Everyone wants to be the FIRST person to say someone is a bust - if it comes true, it's some kind of badge of honour at HF.

Robert Thomas, at 24, is looking GREAT in St Louis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad