NHL Team Prospect Pool Strength Rankings (July 2024)

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
It sure is a bad comparison, considering the Coyotes were booted out of the league and spent 20 odd years being the leagues basement dweller and kicked out of their arena. Last I checked Ottawa still has their team, a full size arena to play in, and have at least done some shit worth a damn before this lmao
The arenas the teams play in have nothing to do with my argument.

Attendance, revenue generation and on-ice competitiveness are the crux. All of which are bottom of the barrel for the Sens organization in the NHL.

There's no other situation like Arizona though. Ottawa may be struggling, but the agonizing Coyotes made the league look like a complete joke. It's been embarassing headline after headline for them for basically their entire existence.

When the Senators are planned to play a minimum of 3 seasons in a U of O facility, you can come back and cry injustice.
See my response above.

You all are fixating on the arena thing when it hasn't once been a tenet of my argument.

Last edited:

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Whether their fans want to admit it or not...they're definitely up there. The team right now, while having star players, isn't good enough to win. They have a relatively weak prospect pool, and will be losing a 1st rounder in the next 2 years. And to top it off they are in a very strong division, with alot of the other teams currently not in the mix having better/more young players/prospects. What path do they have to follow that will lead to long-term playoff success, other than a rebuild?

They're clearly worse than FLA, TOR, TBL, and BOS.

DET, and BUF finished above them in the standings last year and have just as much if not more young star players, but much better prospect pools.

That leaves them at the bottom with MTL, who again has a much better prospect pool, and their own handful of young players also improving.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
As long as Pegula is meddling with the Sabres, I think he owns that title for now and into the future.
Unfortunately, we can no longer retain the title. This team still has a good prospect pool, a solid roster, should be a solid head coach, and we know Adams at least has a brain. Maybe not the best for the job but the organization is at least being ran competently.

If it was the "past" for sure.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
Of course it doesn't. One team has an arena and the other doesn't.
Attendance, revenue generation and on-ice competitiveness are the crux. All of which are bottom of the barrel for the Sens organization in the NHL.
For 20 odd years like the poster you quoted mentioned? Or just the years that fir your narrative?

Demigod11

Jun 28, 2021

See my response above.

You all are fixating on the arena thing when it hasn't once been a tenent of my argument.
A lot of franchises have lacked attendance, revenue generation and on-ice competitiveness.

My point is that those were not even close to be the only worries the coyotes had. The focus is on the arena thing because of how outrageous and ridiculous it is to have such a situation occur in a top level pro league.

Attendance is also a stat that can easily be misleading. I'm fairly certain the Sens would fill a baseball stadium every night if they gave their tickets away like the Coyotes were, even if they're in a much smaller and poorer market, and litterally sandwiched right inbetween hockey's 2 largest fanbases, Montreal and Toronto.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
Whether their fans want to admit it or not...they're definitely up there. The team right now, while having star players, isn't good enough to win. They have a relatively weak prospect pool, and will be losing a 1st rounder in the next 2 years. And to top it off they are in a very strong division, with alot of the other teams currently not in the mix having better/more young players/prospects. What path do they have to follow that will lead to long-term playoff success, other than a rebuild?

They're clearly worse than FLA, TOR, TBL, and BOS.

DET, and BUF finished above them in the standings last year and have just as much if not more young star players, but much better prospect pools.

That leaves them at the bottom with MTL, who again has a much better prospect pool, and their own handful of young players also improving.
Rebuilding is not the answer

The have the pieces they can build around with Tkachuk, Stutzle, Sanderson, Pinto, Greig, Chabot.

Florida has proven that Pro scouting is just as if not more important than drafting

And to be honest I don't want to rebuild get out of here with that garbage

Better Drafting, Smart FA signings

Good coaching choice

I'd even take Joel Quenville on the Sens right now like this core just needs to learn how to play a system.,

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Of course it doesn't. One team has an arena and the other doesn't.
I've never made it a pillar of my argument. This is literally a strawman argument.
For 20 odd years like the poster you quoted mentioned? Or just the years that fir your narrative?
The Sens have had bad revenue and attendance for years. Just because the Coyotes have been a poorly for longer doesn't absolve the Ottawa organization for their lack of success.

A lot of franchises have lacked attendance, revenue generation and on-ice competitiveness.

And according to you none of that matters as long as the arena situation isn't an issue. You're really setting an incredibly low bar for success here.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Unfortunately, we can no longer retain the title. This team still has a good prospect pool, a solid roster, should be a solid head coach, and we know Adams at least has a brain. Maybe not the best for the job but the organization is at least being ran competently.

If it was the "past" for sure.

Until they actually do something competent on the ice, this is Buffalo’s title. 13 years of evidence versus a couple of weeks of activity still slants this in favor of how they have been.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
They should be able to get solid returns on Tkachuk and Stutzle when they trade them. Some teams don't have assets with that kind of value so I would not call them the worst.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Until they actually do something competent on the ice, this is Buffalo’s title. 13 years of evidence versus a couple of weeks of activity still slants this in favor of how they have been.
The whole point of this thread is present and future. Sabres are set up perfectly fine.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
The Sens have had bad revenue and attendance for years. Just because the Coyotes have been a poorly for longer doesn't absolve the Ottawa organization for their lack of success
Yes we know, we've splained to you why. Lots of teams fit this category. Some teams fit have only ever fit this category and know nothing else; Ottawa is not one of them. Posters form other fanbases have called you out but you're only responding to Sens fans. Can you say agenda?

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Yes we know, we've splained to you why. Lots of teams fit this category. Some teams fit have only ever fit this category and know nothing else; Ottawa is not one of them. Posters form other fanbases have called you out but you're only responding to Sens fans. Can you say agenda?

You can make the exact same excuses for all those other teams as well. Nothing you've "splained" is unique to the Senators.

"The Coyotes had bad ownership so the fans got smart and stopped supporting a loser. It's all totally logical and explainable if you look at the details and context of the situation."

I understand completely. It's OK when Ottawa does it, but when other teams do it then it's a problem.

Can you say double standard?

Demigod11

Jun 28, 2021
I've never made it a pillar of my argument. This is literally a strawman argument.

The Sens have had bad revenue and attendance for years. Just because the Coyotes have been a poorly for longer doesn't absolve the Ottawa organization for their lack of success.

And according to you none of that matters as long as the arena situation isn't an issue. You're really setting an incredibly low bar for success here.
Nobody's absolving the Sens from their lack of success. They just kind of belong to a tier with a few other shit franchises, with nothing too outrageous about them to make them stand out.

Then you have the Coyotes, who not only failed to get any support from fans OR elected officials in their massive, wealthy, isolated media market for 3 decades, but metaphorical sticks have been thrown into their wheels at every turn to force their fate. Everything that could make them look like a nail to be hammered down happened.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
They should be able to get solid returns on Tkachuk and Stutzle when they trade them. Some teams don't have assets with that kind of value so I would not call them the worst.
They would have to demand a trade. There's no way in the world you trade someone like Tkachuk, Stutzle and especially Sanderson without them coming to you and saying I want out. No way in the world.

PeE eL DuBoiS

Send ze caviar to mah chambers, peasant
Mar 31, 2022
No, but the situation isn't great because they tried to rush a rebuild by a few years. Ideally they should have a better prospect pool and at least another high end roster player.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
They would have to demand a trade. There's no way in the world you trade someone like Tkachuk, Stutzle and especially Sanderson without them coming to you and saying I want out. No way in the world.
It's not out of the question they do unless they realize their mistake and hire a real coach.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Happy Anaheim is on top but rather them start selling some assets for help now, so they can start becoming competitive again soon. The Bottom 5 finishes are embarrassing now.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
It's not out of the question they do unless they realize their mistake and hire a real coach.
It's never out of the question that someone asks to be traded, I'm just saying Ottawa would never actively look to trade those three unless they asked. Especially Sanderson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad