Are the Montreal Canadiens Contenders for 2016?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Yeah, but they are both goalies. I'm not sure about Allah, but JC has a really high save percentage, saved billions over the last two millenniums.

JC would be the all world goalie we need with price out.

Hopefully Allah can score goals and fix the powerplay.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
- Best player/goalie in the world. That goes a long way towards making us contenders. Of course this hinges on health. If Price isn't healthy then this whole discussion is moot.

- We are in the right conference and in the right division. The East is quite weak right now. Tampa's slipped off. NY Rangers (who we traditionally have owned) are probably the best out there. Then there's Washington who look great. Other than that? It's a pretty underwhelming group and Washington will have to play NY to get out of the division.

- There are several teams in the West who'd be better than we are. At the end of the day though, they will all have to play each other to get to the final.

Picking ANY team to beat the field you're probably going to be wrong in whoever you take to win the cup. Chicago has a great shot at it for example but they're going to have to play a bunch of powerhouses and probably go through LA just to get to the final.

I'd say we have a serious shot at the cup this year and if I had to pick one team it would be Montreal. We're my pick to make it out of the East and then we'll have to hope like hell that Price can carry the day in the finals.

Others have brought up that we need more scoring. I agree we should do everything we can to beef that up now. But even as-is I think we make it out of the East. The finals will be another story but with Price we can beat any team in the league in a seven game series. Of course... Price has to be healthy or we can forget about all of this.

image.jpg

You have to make it to the playoffs first.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Coke's bad for you. I just saved your life. Sorry about the PJs.

- Lafleurs Guy saves!

...it's Cherry Coke, so it's got nutritional value...:laugh:

Coke's also expensive. Yeah you might have saved his life.

...and to think the wife bought it for me to shut me up...she's trying to kill me...oh, well, I had a good run...:laugh:

StanAjax

Jul 30, 2003
Nantes
Visit site
I voted "No they are not contenders but would be if we added a big scorer".

And I want that big scorer to be Puljujärvi or Laine.

Because we need more sisu too.

I guess I just have to hope that Price is out for the year, the rest should unfold itself quite smoothly.

That would not make us contenders for 2016 though...

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
What did you say? I have his 3 cup rings, 2 gold medals as top C, and 2010, Conn Smythe Trophy hiding your post. :popcorn::help:

3 cups = Blackhawks are a great team
2 gold medals = Canada is a great team
1 Conn Smythe in a season he scored 0 points in the Stanley Cup final.

Also note i never said he was a bad player. I said he wasn't clutch.

He's a very good player, who plays just as well in the regular season as he does in the playoffs.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
3 cups = Blackhawks are a great team
2 gold medals = Canada is a great team
1 Conn Smythe in a season he scored 0 points in the Stanley Cup final.

Also note i never said he was a bad player. I said he wasn't clutch.

He's a very good player, who plays just as well in the regular season as he does in the playoffs.

Not sure what TV from Mars you are watching, but it's not the same as mine. He's clearly a force to be reckoned with when the pressure is on. To the point where he's being compared favorably to Crosby at both Olympics. And you don't win a Conn Smythe without being a pressure player.

Saying that he's not clutch is kinda ridiculous on a number of level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5LV4yr7YV0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NPXZJQay7c

Over a large sample he is one of the best playoff performer of his generation:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/t/toewsjo01.html

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Not sure what TV from Mars you are watching, but it's not the same as mine. He's clearly a force to be reckoned with when the pressure is on. To the point where he's being compared favorably to Crosby at both Olympics. And you don't win a Conn Smythe without being a pressure player.

You win a conn smythe because you are a great player, not because you are a pressure player.

Saying that he's not clutch is kinda ridiculous on a number of level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5LV4yr7YV0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NPXZJQay7c

Those are great plays in big situations. He also makes great plays in the regular season. Again just shows he's a great player, not that he is a different player in the playoffs vs regular season.

Over a large sample he is one of the best playoff performer of his generation:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/t/toewsjo01.html

Stat A) 0.88 points per game

Stat B) 0.87 points per game

Quick pick which one is Toews career regular season PPG, and which one is his career playoff PPG.

Being one of the "best playoff performer of his generation" doesn't prove he's clutch, why? cause he's also one of the "best performers of his generation PERIOD".

Toews is an amazing player, regular season and playoffs. That doesnt prove that this mythical "clutch" gene or ability or attribute or whatever it is exists.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
You win a conn smythe because you are a great player, not because you are a pressure player.

Those are great plays in big situations. He also makes great plays in the regular season. Again just shows he's a great player, not that he is a different player in the playoffs vs regular season.

Stat A) 0.88 points per game

Stat B) 0.87 points per game

Quick pick which one is Toews career regular season PPG, and which one is his career playoff PPG.

Being one of the "best playoff performer of his generation" doesn't prove he's clutch, why? cause he's also one of the "best performers of his generation PERIOD".

Toews is an amazing player, regular season and playoffs. That doesnt prove that this mythical "clutch" gene or ability or attribute or whatever it is exists.

are you trying to argue that you don't believe that some players handle the pressure of the playoffs better than others?

that is, essentially, what being "clutch" is.

You're right in pointing out that Toews is a great player, period... but lot's of "great" (or very good) players struggle to consistently perform at/above their average level of play as the pressure mounts.

on the flip side, there are also athletes who consistently perform considerably above their average level of play, when the pressure increases.

Performance under pressure is a well studied, though hard to accurately quantify, aspect of sport psychology. "Clutch" is more/less the way it gets discussed by media/fans. It is absolutely a "real" thing in the world of sports (and in any performance envrionment for that matter).

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I'll say yes only because the definition of the term "contender" is so loose these days.

Look at the other "contenders" in the East. Washington is the only one I'm buying. The Rangers are like 6-12-4 in the last month and a half. The Lightning have been mediocre all year long. Pittsburgh has all kinds of problems. The Islanders and the Panthers, are we calling them contenders yet when they haven't proven anything in the playoffs?

Kinda the same thing in the West too. Outside of the Hawks and maybe the Kings, even teams like the Stars and Blues go through stretches where they look very beatable.

So sure, we're a contender, even though that doesn't really say much one way or the other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad