Are the Canucks trying to replicate the 2019 St Louis Blues Gigantic Dcore that won the Cup? Can it be successful in todays Hockey.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
everyone had identified that the defense is unfinished. management has been good with identifying their shortcomings so far, like bringing in Zadorov after christmas last year. They will likely accrue cap space and bring in a puck moving D midway, they are starting at around 3.5 million.

Someone mentioned Desharnais, he confirmed yesterday that its not just Zadorov, its everyone on Van's D pairings playing to an identity to punish the opponent, and made a strong impact. Just like how Coffey helped Bouchard on offense, Foote/Gonchar is doing the same on Dzone coverage/playstyle for vancouver. Shoring up the PK was the main issue going in, I believe its been addressed with the resignings and UFA signings, they are ALL above average is that regard.

2 threads to be specific. Stop whining about hockey forum users posting in a forum about hockey.

Back to the topic at hand. Nobody fears this defence. Vinny brings size but limited mobility.
Vinny will be the #6/#7. Seems like Edm of all teams fears this defense though, Skinner/Arvidsson is not exactly a physical match to heavier teams.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Vinny will be the #6/#7. Seems like Edm of all teams fears this defense though, Skinner/Arvidsson is not exactly a physical match to heavier teams.
I disagree. As a match-up, I think the Oilers would find your previous roster and defensive composition far scarier to deal with compared to what OP listed.

The Oilers rarely had to be or were the more physical teams in their playoff wins this past off-season. The increased skill/scoring still outweighs the loss in size in the forward group, IMO.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
I'm surprised how little Nucks fans think of Zadorov. He was one of their best players in the playoffs imo. Guy is built for playoff hockey.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
It seems that the Canucks want a massive massive Dcore. Much like the 2019 St Louis D-Core that ground and pounded their way to a cup.

2019: Blues D

Alex Pietrangelo: 6'3- 215lbs
Colton Parayko: 6'6 - 230lbs
Jay Bouwmeester: 6'4- 205lbs
Joel Edmundson: 6'5 220 lbs
Carl Gunnarson- 6'2- 200lbs
*Vince Dunn- 6'0- 200 lbs

2024/25 Canucks Dcore

Tyler Myers: 6'8 225lbs
Carson Soucy: 6'5 210lbs
V Desharnais: 6'6 220lbs
D Forbort: 6'4 210 lbs
N Juulsen 6'2 205lbs
Hronek 6'0 190 lbs
Q Hughes 5'10 180lbs

Do you think this ground and pound system can be successfull? even in the regular season? If i recall , the 2018/19 St Louis Blues struggled at the first part of that year and it wasnt until the 2nd half and playoffs ( when reffs tend to swallow the whistle) that their Dcore became more successful.

Can this blue print be successful the way the game is played in 2024 which is with speed and more speed. Is there enough puck movers? An option would be to separate Hughes and Hronek and pair each of them with a Giant.

Of note, the past playoffs, the Canucks iced a pretty similar D Core. They had Zadorov and Ian Cole as part of the core before they had to replace them with Desharnais and Forbort.

This D Core "bully" system "Held down" Mcdavid to 9 pts in 7 games and held him pointless in 2 of the 7 playoff games including game 7.

One thing is certain, much like the 2019 Blues Team, i dont think anybody will be excited to play the Canucks because win or lose, the opponent will not be coming out of that series healthy, much like the Oilers did not come out healthy vs the Canucks in the 2nd round this season.

We all know it a copy cat league but im trully curious if this is a plausible path to the Cup in today's hockey.

Really off comparison when Hughes and Hronek are huge parts of the D. They’ve signed bigger dmen, maybe that’s part of why those players were targeted, but you really can’t say they’re trying to model themselves after another team when 2 of their 6 defensemen don’t at all fit the model laid out.

Reactions: Three On Zero

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
I'm surprised how little Nucks fans think of Zadorov. He was one of their best players in the playoffs imo. Guy is built for playoff hockey.

He'll be missed but the team needed to find someone to play with Pettersson and with Hughes needing a new deal in 3 years, Boeser needing a new deal next year, and OEL's buyout being at it's most damaging next season and the season after, the team can't afford to have $5m for 6y tied up in realistically a very good #5, even if Z does have a unique skill set.

The team is better off hoping that the coaching staff who squeezed every last drop out of Tyler Myers can turn one of Forbert or Desharnais into the next Zadorov.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
He had great moments and was definitely a physical beast in the playoffs but during the regular season was very average

Still would want him back though

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
It seems that the Canucks want a massive massive Dcore. Much like the 2019 St Louis D-Core that ground and pounded their way to win a cup

2024/25 Canucks Dcore

Tyler Myers: 6'8 225lbs
Carson Soucy: 6'5 210lbs
V Desharnais: 6'6 220lbs
D Forbort: 6'4 210 lbs
N Juulsen 6'2 205lbs
Hronek 6'0 190 lbs
Q Hughes 5'10 180lbs

Yes but they really need to move that Hughes guy that is really not fit for this.

Retain 50% and we can take him.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I disagree. As a match-up, I think the Oilers would find your previous roster and defensive composition far scarier to deal with compared to what OP listed.

The Oilers rarely had to be or were the more physical teams in their playoff wins this past off-season. The increased skill/scoring still outweighs the loss in size in the forward group, IMO.
I guess we will have to see. you guys just traded your 6'3 center for a more skilled 5'9 prospect, looks like edm is committed to skilled little guys.

If management does nothing to address the weakness, which they have ample cap to leverage, the only difference from last year is Cole and Zadorov to Forbot/Desharnais/Juulsen. They didnt lose in size, but puck moving ability, they gained a lot of PK and shot blocking prowess. and they no longer have a guy that kept deflecting pucks into our own goal. personally, I have all the faith in the world that the D corp will look a lot improved. The advantage Vancouver has is not on the ice, but the star studded team behind the bench.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Size didn't win the Blues a cup. It's just a coincidence these guys were big. Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester, Parayko, Edmundson is an INSANE top 4, one of the best I've ever seen. The Canucks cannot have a "big defense" because even if their other 5 dmen were all 6'10" they'd still have a 5'10" dman on the ice for half the game.
Joel Edmundson was (appropriately) healthy scratched for some of that playoff run, he was the 6/7 with Bortuzzo. Dunn was the 5.

Gunnarsson and his glorious OT winner in Boston was the other guy in the top 4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad