Are the Canucks trying to replicate the 2019 St Louis Blues Gigantic Dcore that won the Cup? Can it be successful in todays Hockey.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
you'd have a point if McDavid didnt average 11.76 points per 7 games in the playoffs and scored even more against every other team he faced

LA: 12 points in 5 games
DAL: 11 points in 6 games
FLA: 11 points in 7 games

9 points in 7 games is the worst series he had and well below what the Stanley Cup Champions Florida managed to do.
and thats with a third stringer in net for the canucks

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I feel like the Canucks got a lot of miles out of Zadorov's skating and puck skills last year. Swapping him out for Forbort and Vinny is a massive downgrade. Hell, forget Zadorov, neither of those guys are even at Ian Cole's level with the puck.

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Myers
Forbort-Juulsen/Vinny

One amazingly dynamic pair, and then 4/5 guys that are going to struggle moving the puck up ice for half the game.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
I feel like the Canucks got a lot of miles out of Zadorov's skating and puck skills last year. Swapping him out for Forbort and Vinny is a massive downgrade. Hell, forget Zadorov, neither of those guys are even at Ian Cole's level with the puck.

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Myers
Forbort-Juulsen/Vinny

One amazingly dynamic pair, and then 4/5 guys that are going to struggle moving the puck up ice for half the game.

i don't see how they can make a functional third pairing with this group. their only guys who can move the puck are hughes and hronek and sometimes myers if you give him time and space. at least one pairing is going to spend the entire game pinned in their own end

Nogatco Rd

Translator spent all my HF cash
Apr 3, 2021
It seems that the Canucks want a massive massive Dcore. Much like the 2019 St Louis D-Core that ground and pounded their way to a cup.

2019: Blues D

Alex Pietrangelo: 6'3- 215lbs
Colton Parayko: 6'6 - 230lbs
Jay Bouwmeester: 6'4- 205lbs
Joel Edmundson: 6'5 220 lbs
Carl Gunnarson- 6'2- 200lbs
*Vince Dunn- 6'0- 200 lbs

2024/25 Canucks Dcore

Tyler Myers: 6'8 225lbs
Carson Soucy: 6'5 210lbs
V Desharnais: 6'6 220lbs
D Forbort: 6'4 210 lbs
N Juulsen 6'2 205lbs
Hronek 6'0 190 lbs
Q Hughes 5'10 180lbs

Do you think this ground and pound system can be successfull? even in the regular season? If i recall , the 2018/19 St Louis Blues struggled at the first part of that year and it wasnt until the 2nd half and playoffs ( when reffs tend to swallow the whistle) that their Dcore became more successful.

Can this blue print be successful the way the game is played in 2024 which is with speed and more speed. Is there enough puck movers? An option would be to separate Hughes and Hronek and pair each of them with a Giant.

Of note, the past playoffs, the Canucks iced a pretty similar D Core. They had Zadorov and Ian Cole as part of the core before they had to replace them with Desharnais and Forbort.

This D Core "bully" system "Held down" Mcdavid to 9 pts in 7 games and held him pointless in 2 of the 7 playoff games including game 7.

One thing is certain, much like the 2019 Blues Team, i dont think anybody will be excited to play the Canucks because win or lose, the opponent will not be coming out of that series healthy, much like the Oilers did not come out healthy vs the Canucks in the 2nd round this season.

We all know it a copy cat league but im trully curious if this is a plausible path to the Cup in today's hockey.
The term is "D corps"

Reactions: jd22

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
this D group is unfinished. they need a puck mover or 2. Signing Kylington or heck even Barrie for spot duty is necessary, most likely, I can see a mid season trade like what they did bringing in Zadorov. The theme is plain for all to see, ground and pound. With a top tier goalie like Demko as the last line, it should work well. Ultimately everything rides on his health.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
The Blues are trying to get back to their successful style by drafting bigger, physical players who can skate these past couple drafts. I love the direction they are headed.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Soucy Myers Forbort Desharnais are all very tall and heavy.

And their combined cap hit is pretty low.
Gives more flexibility to bring in Wallinder and E petersson.

this D group is unfinished. they need a puck mover or 2. Signing Kylington or heck even Barrie for spot duty is necessary, most likely, I can see a mid season trade like what they did bringing in Zadorov. The theme is plain for all to see, ground and pound. With a top tier goalie like Demko as the last line, it should work well. Ultimately everything rides on his health.
We also have Silovs who is capable

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
This current D-corp will guarantee one thing, whoever they face over the course of a 7 game series will have that much of a lower chance to be healthy with each game they grind you down with. When you knock, say, Draisaitl to 75% effectiveness in game 1, by the end of the run he scored only twice? in 16 games, and the other team cannot afford to sit that broken player, it makes a huge difference in who comes out of the series.

Last year was their first crack at playoff hockey, this year they have better suited personnel to play to their identity, big guys that hits, blocks and is mobile. It's a strategy that is proven to work for Tocchet, for Foote when they were players.

Reactions: Zanon

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
"This bully system"... You lost Zadorov, and added Desharnais. That's a big downgrade when it comes to play, and toughness.

I liked Vinny as a #6/7 in Edmonton, but he really doesn't bully anyone, especially for his size.

Reactions: Oilhawks

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
feels reminiscent of when pat quinn assembled a blueline of monsters thirty-odd years ago

lumme 6’1
lidster 6’1
plavsic 6’1
diduck 6’1
babych 6’2
murzyn 6’2
dirk 6’4
gregg 6’4

does not seem like much now, but for 1992 that was enormous. only lidster was less than 200 lbs and an awful lot of beef on diduck, babych, murzyn, and dirk.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
"This bully system"... You lost Zadorov, and added Desharnais. That's a big downgrade when it comes to play, and toughness.

I liked Vinny as a #6/7 in Edmonton, but he really doesn't bully anyone, especially for his size.
we’re not gonna pay bottom pairing guy 5 million and I doubt any downgrade on our bottom pairing is gonna make a difference. If we ever learn anything is to not overpay your players.

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Myers
Forbort-Juulsen/Vinny

no we didn't. Soucy got injured and we took turns trying out Cole or Zadarov on the 2nd pairing and they both weren't good. You guys mentioned how bad he was in our series, yet suddenly the narrative is that hes a huge lost on our 3rd pairing? ?

have we signed him you oiler fans would have said, oh we paid too him for a guy that averages 3 hits a game.

Back to the topic.

The Canucks at this point feel with Tocchet, Foote and Gonchar, they can improve any dman on the planet. The track record begins with Hughes Myers and Juulsen. Both Juulsen and Myers were absolute trash until Foote came in, Juulsen is a AHL defender fast forward one year, their game showed mass improvements. So I think management feels they can get some extra mileage out of Forbert and Desharnais. Canucks top 4 from last year remains the same, (also a concern) but it is what it is.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
we’re not gonna pay bottom pairing guy 5 million and I doubt any downgrade on our bottom pairing is gonna make a difference. If we ever learn anything is to not overpay your players.

no we didn't. Soucy got injured and we took turns trying out Cole or Zadarov on the 2nd pairing and they both weren't good. You guys mentioned how bad he was in our series, yet suddenly the narrative is that hes a huge lost on our 3rd pairing? ?

have we signed him you oiler fans would have said, oh we paid too him for a guy that averages 3 hits a game.

Back to the topic.

The Canucks at this point feel with Tocchet, Foote and Gonchar, they can improve any dman on the planet. The track record begins with Hughes Myers and Juulsen. Both Juulsen and Myers were absolute trash until Foote came in, Juulsen is a AHL defender fast forward one year, their game showed mass improvements. So I think management feels they can get some extra mileage out of Forbert and Desharnais. Canucks top 4 from last year remains the same, (also a concern) but it is what it is.
If you honestly don't believe there's a difference in Zadorov vs Desharnais, you're in for quite the surprise

Reactions: Oak

lawrence

May 19, 2012
If you honestly don't believe there's a difference in Zadorov vs Desharnais, you're in for quite the surprise

knowing you guys, you be shitting on us, if we signed Zadarov by saying we paid too much for a bottom pairing.

so Canucks be damned for not signing him.
Canucks probably be damned if we also signed him. We know there's a difference between the 2. Clearly, you also don't know much about the team outside of the 7 games our teams played against one another.

Desharnais is here to replace Juulsen.
Forbert assumes the role of the 3rd pairing left side, replacing Cole/ Zadarov. We're not paying 5 million for bottom pairing dman.

you guys would know by now what its like to overpay for a bottom pairing dman. (Cough Nurse cough)

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
This current D-corp will guarantee one thing, whoever they face over the course of a 7 game series will have that much of a lower chance to be healthy with each game they grind you down with. When you knock, say, Draisaitl to 75% effectiveness in game 1, by the end of the run he scored only twice? in 16 games, and the other team cannot afford to sit that broken player, it makes a huge difference in who comes out of the series.

Last year was their first crack at playoff hockey, this year they have better suited personnel to play to their identity, big guys that hits, blocks and is mobile. It's a strategy that is proven to work for Tocchet, for Foote when they were players.
A player of any size can slash and break someone's finger.

Vegas and the Blues won because their big defencemen were also good.

The key is being good, rather than just big.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
knowing you guys, you be shitting on us, if we signed Zadarov by saying we paid too much for a bottom pairing.

so Canucks be damned for not signing him.
Canucks probably be damned if we also signed him. We know there's a difference between the 2. Clearly, you also don't know much about the team outside of the 7 games our teams played against one another.

Desharnais is here to replace Juulsen.
Forbert assumes the role of the 3rd pairing left side, replacing Cole/ Zadarov. We're not paying 5 million for bottom pairing dman.

you guys would know by now what its like to overpay for a bottom pairing dman. (Cough Nurse cough)
The victim complex is real, same old.

I'm not exactly sure what Nurse has to do with anything here? Grow up.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
That Vancouver de doesn't look impressive at allbut in general big D corps have proved quite effective in the playoffs.

During Montreal's run to the finals, the most used players were Weber, Chiarot and Edmundson. Not an all star D in any way, except for Weber, but they really had a high impact on games.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The victim complex is real, same old.

I'm not exactly sure what Nurse has to do with anything here? Grow up..

I don’t want us to play 5 million for a bottom pairing dman let alone 10 million for a bottom pairing dman. He wasn’t even that good in the oilers series. We had to move on.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
That Vancouver de doesn't look impressive at allbut in general big D corps have proved quite effective in the playoffs.

During Montreal's run to the finals, the most used players were Weber, Chiarot and Edmundson. Not an all star D in any way, except for Weber, but they really had a high impact on games.

The top 4 remains the same as last year. Also Montreal also relied on a star goalie that powered their way to the finals.

Unfortunately, Vancouver didn’t have that luxury last year.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
A d-core that size holding an injured McDavid to 9 points in 7 games isn’t exactly good…

And the d-core got worse.

Nobody is frightened of the Canucks defence like you’re making it out to be.
Anything holding an injured McDavid to 9 points in 7 games is good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad