Are the Calgary Flames a bottom 5 team without Markstrom?

Are the Calgary Flames a bottom 5 team without Markstrom?

• Yes

Votes: 90 65.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 34.3%

• Total voters

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Good chance assuming that theyre going with Wolf

its now officially a rebuild with a bunch of bad contracts. GM is probably already thinking Gavin McKenna.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Yes and no, yes they're probably bottom 5 or right there unless Huberdeau somehow comes back to what he was. No, it's not because of Markstrom. He ranged from mediocre last year to merely adequate this year.

• Haha
Reactions: Regal

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Good chance assuming that theyre going with Wolf

its now officially a rebuild with a bunch of bad contracts. GM is probably already thinking Gavin McKenna.
Maybe on McKenna but I think Calgary's long-term is because of where they are at not because of my future possible player but where is the maybe option?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
In terms of goals saved above expected, he was 9th on Moneypuck, 4th on NaturalStatTrick and 8th in GAR on evolving hockey, and losing Tanev and Hanifin isn’t going to help their defensive game. Still, the team’s underlying numbers weren’t bad, and they still have some solid players. I could see them falling but I don’t think they’ll be bottom 5 bad.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Maybe on McKenna but I think Calgary's long-term is because of where they are at not because of my future possible player but where is the maybe option?
Conroy's goal over the next few seasons will be to trade: Huberdeau, Kardi, Coleman, possibly even Weegar since he'll have the most value. Its the only way to go at this point after Tkachuk, Gaudreau, and now Markstrom leaving.

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I’ll be conservative and say bottom third. I can see their young guns winning them some games. But obviously the team is in the midst of a rebuild.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
By the end of the season the perceived gap between Wolf and Markstrom will be miniscule imo. I don't think this trade effected the teams results in a significant way. I felt more confident with Wolf at the end of last year. Give him 20 games and I think he'll be cooking.

Whether we're bottom five is up in the air. No rookies step up, Huberdeau and Kylington do nothing, Bahl and Miro look like #6/7's, they use zero cap space for NHL caliber players. Zary/Sharangovich both take steps back. Like ya, we're going to be bad, really f***ing bad if all those things happen.

But I think that would be very pessimistic.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Conroy's goal over the next few seasons will be to trade: Huberdeau, Kardi, Coleman, possibly even Weegar since he'll have the most value. Its the only way to go at this point after Tkachuk, Gaudreau, and now Markstrom leaving.

Nah, Weegar is gonna be the next Captain. Huberdeau is untradable, just gotta hope he figures it out.

Coleman likely traded next year, Kadri I have no idea what that trade even looks like. Other team pretty much has to hope he goes on LTIR in a few years haha

Reactions: amnesiac

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Nah, Weegar is gonna be the next Captain. Huberdeau is untradable, just gotta hope he figures it out.

Coleman likely traded next year, Kadri I have no idea what that trade even looks like. Other team pretty much has to hope he goes on LTIR in a few years haha
Tell yourself Weegar's value will surely fall as the team gets worse (a la Seth Jones). Smart thing to do is trade him relatively soon, imo. A Cup contenders would pay quite a bit, I would think, as his contract may be a bargain as the cap goes up over the next 7 years.

Toronto??? haha

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Tell yourself Weegar's value will surely fall as the team gets worse (a la Seth Jones). Smart thing to do is trade him relatively soon, imo. A Cup contenders would pay quite a bit, I would think, as his contract may be a bargain as the cap goes up over the next 7 years.

Toronto??? haha

Weegars contract is a bargain today imo but I'm quite content with him retiring as a Flame. Love the guy.

Seth Jones value plummeted because he got overpaid and isn't very good in his own end. Most teams can improve their defense more with 9 million in cap space than with Jones

Last edited:

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Weegars contract is a bargain today imo but I'm quite content with him retiring as a Flame. Love the guy.

Seth Jones value plummeted because he got overpaid and isn't very good in his own end.
I think if you put Jones on a contender, hed be a top 15 Dman in the league. Rarely do "top" Dmen look good on a bottom feeder. Only Karlsson 22-23 comes to mind.

Reactions: Crow

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I think if you put Jones on a contender, hed be a top 15 Dman in the league. Rarely do "top" Dmen look good on a bottom feeder.

Ya I don't you could find a GM willing to take that bet. I'd take the cap space

Flames are a bottom feeder and Weegar got put with Miromanov for a quarter of the season. Looked like our best player.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Ya I don't you could find a GM willing to take that bet. I'd take the cap space

Flames are a bottom feeder and Weegar got put with Miromanov for a quarter of the season. Looked like our best player.
fair, but whats the point is keeping a very good Dman in his prime when your team is starting a rebuild? especially if it could fetch you something significant.

Its why I think Montreal should trade Matheson asap

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
fair, but whats the point is keeping a very good Dman in his prime when your team is starting a rebuild? especially if it could fetch you something significant.

Because they don't want to turn into Buffalo/Edmonton. Hell, Chicago/San Jose look like they are trending that direction as well. They aren't trying to bottom out and intentionally suck for 3 years.

Imagine if they had traded Giordano when he was 30.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Because they don't want to turn into Buffalo/Edmonton. Hell, Chicago/San Jose look like they are trending that direction as well. They aren't trying to bottom out and intentionally suck for 3 years.

Imagine if they had traded Giordano when he was 30.
well sucking for a long time worked for the likes of: PIT, CHI, WSH, TB, COL, and soon to be FLA.

Without those numerous top picks none of those teams win the Cup..... even LA and STL needed Doughty and Pietrangelo as top picks to win. It obviously doesnt always work, but its proven to be the best way BY FAR to build a Cup winner.

EDM still have time too. I guarantee theyll be contenders over the next few seasons now that theyve been there. SJ/CHI are just starting their rebuild. You couldve said the same about PIT after 2003 or TB in 2008.

Takes time to become a contender after rebuilding. Hedman drafted in 08, MacKinnon and Barkov in 2013.... all won the Cup a decade later.

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
It's not a matter of Markstrom at this point. It's lack of him and our current D-Core.

Kylington may re-sign but until then:

Weegar-Andersson
Bahl-Miromanov
Hanley-Pachal

Then our forward group is clearly not playoff calibre either.

Lot of cap space and possible changes in the pipes, but yeah.

The Oilers truly sent them to the shadow realm with one play-off series.

Absolutely. Broke the franchise.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
well sucking for a long time worked for the likes of: PIT, CHI, WSH, TB, COL, and soon to be FLA.

Without those numerous top picks none of those teams win the Cup..... even LA and STL needed Doughty and Pietrangelo as top picks to win. It obviously doesnt always work, but its proven to be the best way BY FAR to build a Cup winner.

EDM still have time too. I guarantee theyll be contenders over the next few seasons now that theyve been there. SJ/CHI are just starting their rebuild. You couldve said the same about PIT after 2003 or TB in 2008.

Takes time to become a contender after rebuilding. Hedman drafted in 08, MacKinnon and Barkov in 2013.... all won the Cup a decade later.

Sure if you get a Crosby/McDavid its worth it. Otherwise not really. There's three teams that failed miserably for every one of those and you have zero control over it.

I'd stop watching hockey if they sucked for that long

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad