Are the 2024-2025 Edmonton Oilers the biggest preseason cup favourites of all time?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Which thread started by an Oiler fan recently has them tooting their own horn?
You don't usually start them because most of you know that starting a pro Oilers thread is like leading with your jaw in a WBA fight. You just jump into threads started by others with both feet and a cockiness perhaps only rivalled by Leafs fans.

CantHaveTkachev

Accruing Cap Space
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
You don't usually start them because most of you know that starting a pro Oilers thread is like leading with your jaw in a WBA fight. You just jump into threads started by others with both feet and a cockiness perhaps only rivalled by Leafs fans.
why does it bother you that many Oiler fans think we have a good team? they were 2 goals away from winning it all last year FFS

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
No one in Edmonton thinks it's going to be easy to get back to the Cup finals, as a matter of fact the odds are stacked against any team going to back to back Cup finals and everyone knows they need to upgrade certain areas including the team itself.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Every year it's the team that lost in the finals that is predicted to win-it-all. Sure, that worked last year, but I don't think it holds much water historically.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Every year it's the team that lost in the finals that is predicted to win-it-all. Sure, that worked last year, but I don't think it holds much water historically.
No it hasn't. Besides Florida this year it's happened twice in the past 40 years.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Lol after watching last night's game I find it hard to believe this team went to the Stanley Cup final. What an insult.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017

How many of those teams had one of the all-time greats leading them?

Lol after watching last night's game I find it hard to believe this team went to the Stanley Cup final. What an insult.

You were shitting on them all last season, so quit feigning surprise.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Who would that be on Florida? 'Cause they actually did it.

On average, an all time great... or not, can only play 25 minutes a night. That means he's not on the ice for the other 35 minutes or 55-60% of the game. That's not enough. its a TEAM game.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
One interesting thing to follow is Emberson. The Oilers somehow have that guy in their middle pair so they have a lot of eggs in that basket. They need Emberson to be passable. So far... he looks very sketchy with the puck and a bit lost in his zone. If he flops, Edmonton will be over the barrel trying to replace him with very few options available and very few assets to pursue those meager options.

Reactions: hn777

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
No it hasn't. Besides Florida this year it's happened twice in the past 40 years.
That's literally what I said.

You were shitting on them all last season, so quit feigning surprise.
I'm not sold on the Oilers with that defense and goaltending. Great forward group though.

Last edited:

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
The roster that is worse this year is going to outperform the over-performing team from last year... sure, sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad