Are the 2024-2025 Edmonton Oilers the biggest preseason cup favourites of all time?

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
We're a contender and we'll add at the deadline like usual. Probably have two new dmen by then. But there's a lot of great teams who are also contenders and you also have to be lucky. I wouldn't be surprised to see a team like Dallas or Vancouver come out of the West.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Literally every article I've read it's been Oilers all across the board. I don't recall seeing one team being such an overwhelming preseason favourite. Can you?
The team that loses in the final is always the favorite the next season.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
With the Kings looking likely to be losing out to Seattle or Utah for the wild card, that first round bye may not be in the cards this year.

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
The all time part shows a lack of knowledge of the last century of hockey. Not knocking the oilers, but there's a reason the Canadians haven't won in about 30 years yet have more cups than any team.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Oilers are only a +800 favorite which about an average top leading favorite most seasons. Colorado was a +625 favorite 2021-22, which they won. For 2022-23, they were + 425.

Penguins or Blackhawks all have had better odds sometimes in the same year going as low as +500. Detroit red wings were a + 450 in 2002 when they won and +300 in 2003. There’s literally been a large amount of teams that had better odds than Oilers to start the season. Even Tampa Bay had +675 odds to win in 2020 and this was after that embarrassing Columbus sweep choke.

Having said that, they are the favorite this season for a reason. All these comments making them sound like this is still the overrated Oilers in 2018 is laughable people still think of them like this.

Last edited:

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Its funny because I have not really seen this as reality that the Oilers are the heavy favorite to win it all this year...in fact just a minute ago I clicked on ESPN NHL page and they have the Dallas Stars winning it all....and if I had to pick a favorite, I would go with the Avs and Panthers.....however with such great parity, it is certainly true that the Oilers could win it all....with about 7 other teams....

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Prior to Florida winning the SC in 2024 and playing in the finals in 2023, Pittsburgh was the last team to play in the finals (and lose) in 2008 and win it all in 2009. Prior to Pittsburgh in 2008 & 2009 the last team to do it was Edmonton in 1983 & 1984.
The odds aren't in Edmonton's favor to come back and win it all in 2025.

Last edited:

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Heard this last year.... Stars were less of a challenge than the Canucks, and will be just as banged up again this year going through the Avs and another central team. As much as it pains me to admit it a Canucks team with a healthy Demko is probably our biggest threat. That or Mackinnon and Makar going Harlem Globetrotters

What the Stars looked like vs us in one series compared to what the Canucks looked like against us has little bearing on the point of my post. That would be like saying Draisaitl is a playoff dud because of his performance in the Finals. We know he was injured. Could some of the Stars have been dealing with the same?

And even if they weren’t playing through major injuries, maybe we’re just a bad matchup for them, but theres no guarantee we play them (maybe we don’t make it to the conference finals).

They are probably the deepest team in the league.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I don't know why this would be the case, the team didn't even win the cup and has goaltending about as bad as you possibly can and make the SCF, not to mention non-elite D-corps.

Pengs in early 90s and Crosby/Malkin prime should have been better candidates to repeat, same with Avs/Wings teams in 2000ish era, or Lightning in their prime more recently.

Edmonton as dominant favorite makes not a lot of sense to me.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Literally every article I've read it's been Oilers all across the board. I don't recall seeing one team being such an overwhelming preseason favourite. Can you?
Canucks fan I'm presuming?

Come on man. They don't have a goalie do they?

Sure they could absolutely go all the way but this is a weak attempt at a jinx thread from what I'm assuming is a Canucks fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad