Are the 2024-2025 Edmonton Oilers the biggest preseason cup favourites of all time?

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
OP: "hmm i haven't quite had enough sand in my bum. I should make a thread about the team I hate the most, that should do".

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Dear non-Oilers and Leafs fans,

Is it time to transfer the "plan the parade" meme to the Oilers? One would think the Leafs have suffered enough.

• Haha
Reactions: Coffees

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Dear non-Oilers and Leafs fans,

Is it time to transfer the "plan the parade" meme to the Oilers? One would think the Leafs have suffered enough.
The problem is, I think most Oilers fans are raising an eyebrow at these prognostications. The team is banking on a homerun for the second pairing RD at the deadline.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think it’s one of those things where the media feels McDavid is due and the team getting so close last year means it’s a fun narrative to push. We saw it after 16-17 as well to some degree as the young upcoming next great one/team. Not that they shouldn’t be one of the big favourites, but the parity in the league today is too high to make any real predictions.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
No. the last easy cup prediction other than the Lightning was the Blackhawks once they got Hossa. Oilers are closer to the Leafs playoff hopes than a for sure thing

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Literally every article I've read it's been Oilers all across the board. I don't recall seeing one team being such an overwhelming preseason favourite. Can you?
Did you just start watching?

Every year the media sort of coronates somebody. Pre-cap there were some SERIOUS favorites. This is but a ripple.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I think it’s more a case of lazy pundits drawing easy connections (McDavid is due; Florida lost before winning it the next year), but if we’re looking at a roster, top to bottom, I think the Oil would be in the 3-5 range (and I say this being an Oilers fan).

The Rangers and Stars have the more complete teams. Trade deadline can change that and I think it’s obvious that we’ll be all in. Those teams will be as well, but we maybe have more to gain from a trade deadline upgrade than they do. But it’s a lot of ifs.

Heiskanen and Fox are better #1 D than Ekholm (I’m not putting Bouchard there).

Shesterkin and Oettinger far better than Skinner.

We get the nod at forward because of McD and Drai, but I don’t know that it’s the same degree of difference vs the D and G.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I wouldn't say we are a preseason fav at all. Too old. Goaltending is ok. No 2rd and no guys under the age of 59 on the roster.lol.

I do think we will tinker with lineup and have a great squad by playoffs though. We also need good health going into playoffs.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I don't see it, personally. My predictions usually suck so grain of salt and all that.
is it because McDavid yelled?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Feels like they always anoint a team. Makes it more of a story when literally anything else happens.

Skinner or the defense have a bad game and you can talk about firing the coach/gm for an hour.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
I think it’s more a case of lazy pundits drawing easy connections (McDavid is due; Florida lost before winning it the next year), but if we’re looking at a roster, top to bottom, I think the Oil would be in the 3-5 range (and I say this being an Oilers fan).

The Rangers and Stars have the more complete teams. Trade deadline can change that and I think it’s obvious that we’ll be all in. Those teams will be as well, but we maybe have more to gain from a trade deadline upgrade than they do. But it’s a lot of ifs.

Heiskanen and Fox are better #1 D than Ekholm (I’m not putting Bouchard there).

Shesterkin and Oettinger far better than Skinner.

We get the nod at forward because of McD and Drai, but I don’t know that it’s the same degree of difference vs the D and G.

How is Bouchard not the 1D??

dem

Mar 17, 2002
As an Oiler fan... I don't get it..

The D isn't good enough.

Stu Skinner is still Stu Skinner.

I mean.. I hope they are good this year. The forwards look good...

..but the Oiler have a penchant for underperforming. They seem to only perform when their back is against the wall.

Reactions: Czechboy

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The team that makes the Cup Final generally gets a lot of picks for Cup favorite the following year and when you have the best player in a generation probably that only makes it a more popular choice.

Plenty of people picked Florida to win last season after they had gone to the Finals (and gotten destroyed by Vegas).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad