Are Sweeping Changes Coming ?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Sure he wants the cash but hiring someone else is not gonna speed up anything since if we want another teams young player they want our good player in return.
We have not many tradable assets .
If we trade our vet dmen for futures how long will it take to replace them considering weve been trying tto teplace edler and tanevs tough minutes to no avail.
I see no firing next year that's just a pipe dream

Maybe Benning shouldn't have wasted the assets he did have. And with what we're left with...I think it's justified to blame Benning for the lack of tradeable assets today. This is the team he put together. If nobody wants the players the Canucks have it speaks volumes of his inability to put together a team that's even half decent.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Probably why it would be a good idea to start a rebuild then.
Tough to sell a rebuild to ep40 since when you get a franchise player like ep40 you never tear down you build around.
Its like the oil telling connor its time to tear down because hes likely to request a trade instead.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Tough to sell a rebuild to ep40 since when you get a franchise player like ep40 you never tear down you build around.
Its like the oil telling connor its time to tear down because hes likely to request a trade instead.

You never let one player (let alone a 20 year old kid) dictate what the team does. I heard this lame excuse when talking about the Sedins, and that didn't stop the team from bottoming out. It's no excuse for the lack of a rebuild.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Sweeping changes are coming. I can't see the Canucks making the playoffs next season, and I can't see ownership not making a move at that point.

My worry is that the moves that Benning will inevitably make in order to make the playoffs and save his job will do even more long-term damage.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Maybe Benning shouldn't have wasted the assets he did have. And with what we're left with...I think it's justified to blame Benning for the lack of tradeable assets today. This is the team he put together. If nobody wants the players the Canucks have it speaks volumes of his inability to put together a team that's even half decent.
I understand your concrrns and they are valid but I just dont see him getting fired especially after ep40 has emerged.
If we had taken mittlestat valardi or any of the lesser prospects there would be a chance of a firing but aquaman was genuinely excited about the team as evidenced by his loving tweets about our new wunderkind star.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I understand your concrrns and they are valid but I just dont see him getting fired especially after ep40 has emerged.
If we had taken mittlestat valardi or any of the lesser prospects there would be a chance of a firing but aquaman was genuinely excited about the team as evidenced by his loving tweets about our new wunderkind star.

And when the Canucks miss the playoffs again next year? That'll be the longest playoff drought in team history. Not to mention, I expect the team will be at the bottom of the standings once again so likely will be the worst team in the NHL over a 5 year period at that point. How can you justify Benning keeping his job when he's built such a bad hockey team?

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
You never let one player (let alone a 20 year old kid) dictate what the team does. I heard this lame excuse when talking about the Sedins, and that didn't stop the team from bottoming out. It's no excuse for the lack of a rebuild.
They do let these young players dictate the team direction though.
These young franchise players are money in the bank to owner's because they represent tickets sales so they get what they want usually or they get traded.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
These young franchise players are money in the bank to owner's because they represent tickets sales so they get what they want usually or they get traded.

I don't doubt that Benning allows certain players dictate what he does. That's part of the reason why he's a bad manager.

If you're fine with losing Pettersson as a free agent or to a trade demand (if you think he's the type that would do that) because the team is still a bad team 5 years from now, by all means support retaining Benning. Nothing good will come from an extended Benning tenure as GM. He should have been fired years ago, but people like you wanted him extended and Aquilini was talked into extending him by Linden. That happened, and guess what? The team is still a mess and still awful. You want more of that?

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
You know what isn't money in the bank to the owners? Struggling to sell tickets and declining viewership.

This is a really strong fairweather fanbase. Tickets and overall demand for the team is super high when they're good, and virtually nonexistent in bad stretches.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
And when the Canucks miss the playoffs again next year? That'll be the longest playoff drought in team history. Not to mention, I expect the team will be at the bottom of the standings once again so likely will be the worst team in the NHL over a 5 year period at that point. How can you justify Benning keeping his job when he's built such a bad hockey team?

It shouldn't be a binary switch that you flip at the start of the season, 'we're going to make the playoffs' or 'we're forfeiting the playoffs and rebuilding'. I'd say the best thing for the team right now would be to do a Colorado like transition where you cut the useless players, bring in a bunch of support guys that play the right way supplementing the core group and elevating you back into the playoffs. If it doesn't work out though then you sell at the deadline and continue to rebuild.

Personally I wouldn't know the specific moves to pull that Colorado thing off, but this is where that young analytics new blood type GM comes in. The point is we have Pettersson-Boeser-Horvat in place, with Hughes and another top pick about to join the team, and realistically probably another one next season, so rather than committing to another multi-year 'rebuild' we should be committing to a quick retool of the rest of the roster.

Though with the contracts Benning has saddled the team with it may take another 2-3 seasons to get to the point we need to be at.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
It shouldn't be a binary switch that you flip at the start of the season, 'we're going to make the playoffs' or 'we're forfeiting the playoffs and rebuilding'. I'd say the best thing for the team right now would be to do a Colorado like transition where you cut the useless players, bring in a bunch of support guys that play the right way supplementing the core group and elevating you back into the playoffs. If it doesn't work out though then you sell at the deadline and continue to rebuild.

Personally I wouldn't know the specific moves to pull that Colorado thing off, but this is where that young analytics new blood type GM comes in. The point is we have Pettersson-Boeser-Horvat in place, with Hughes and another top pick about to join the team, and realistically probably another one next season, so rather than committing to another multi-year 'rebuild' we should be committing to a quick retool of the rest of the roster.

Though with the contracts Benning has saddled the team with it may take another 2-3 seasons to get to the point we need to be at.
This.

Excellent post and pretty much where I sit. They're at the point now they can look to ascend, they're never going to tear it down to the studs, so now it's just addition by subtraction.

They have to try and progress next year, the goal next year should be playoffs, but they also need to be realistic and approach the deadline differently than they have in the past if they're out of it. Basically like the Rangers this year if the wheels fall off.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Specific moves shouldn't be that hard and the fact we have signed so many plugs instead of the obvious buy low candidates easily identified like Marchessault, de haan, strome etc is even more mind boggling how bad our team is being run..

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I hope we hire a new President this off season, someone good. I think that's the route the org might go for more incremental change.
That would be pretty decent..I would prefer it to be a knowledgable hockey mind,as opposed to a sports business executive..Someone like John Davidson over a Bob Nicholson.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
The fact that 1040 is starting to turn on this Benning makes me optimistic change may finally be on the horizon. Once the media turns on you the negativity spreads like wildfires. It is only a matter of time at this point.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The biggest knock for me is JB has at best made some ok trades and some very bad ones, and then overpays those acquisitions. He is poor at evaluating what a player is worth and his potential is.

His drafting is ok. Home runs on EP, Boeser, Gaudette (where picked) and a major mistake on Juolevi... (though it’s not impossible he turns into a stud.)

I just don’t think he is all that bright...

Reactions: JuniorNelson

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I wasn't specifically saying those two guys, just that it be a hockey guy over a business executive..Why even have a President if they're just a puppet for the Family?
Would you have considered Gillis a hockey guy? I'm not pushing for Gillis, just wondering.

If they hire a president, Benning's days are numbered. I'm not sure you would want that as an ardent Benning supporter.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Too funny. Just listening to the Pat Cast and Botchford while he was in Vegas he had dinner with some NHL Agents and they were saying that in December and January when the Canucks were doing ok. Benning and Weisbroud were very arrogant and strutting around arena thinking as one agent said they were " Ballers" the agents were laughing at them and more so now. wow!!!

member 290103

The biggest knock for me is JB has at best made some ok trades and some very bad ones, and then overpays those acquisitions. He is poor at evaluating what a player is worth and his potential is.

His drafting is ok. Home runs on EP, Boeser, Gaudette (where picked) and a major mistake on Juolevi... (though it’s not impossible he turns into a stud.)

I just don’t think he is all that bright...

This is exactly the problem. Benning is not a bright individual. I fin think Linden was either. Conversely, Gillis and Gilman were incredibly bright.

I’d love to see one of the two of them return with Judd Brackett calling the shots at the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad