Are sports team allegiances in your city/area culturally, geographically or generationally divided ?

torontoblood

Proud Member of Leafs Nation
May 27, 2021
I’m Just a curious man trying to learn something new.

I notice that some team fanbases clearly skew younger and blacker, or older and whiter. Some teams have more Hispanic or Asian fans per capita. Some teams probably have a disproportionate amount of female fans. Some teams bring all the ethnicities/races (white, black, asian etc) and all the generations together (boomers to gen Z)

Some teams somehow find a way to attract defined niche populations(the hipster and hippie crowds for example)

Does sports fandom pretty much comes down to demographics ? Different teams have different demographics and customers

Urban vs suburban
City vs country
City vs rest of province (Canada)
blue collar vs white collar
Yuppies vs working class
Democrats vs republicans
Immigrants vs born and raised natives
Wealthy vs poor

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
There are so many Golden Knights fans in Northern California, it is mind-boggling.

That seems odd, are these mostly northern Nevadans who moved to California recently since 2020 but I don't think that number would be very large?

I could see some southern Californians rooting for the Knights if they're easier and cheaper to see games with ESPN Plus instead of cable and if the drive to go to a game isn't that much more hassle than LA or Anaheim but northern California would be a surprise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad