Value of: Arber Xhekaj

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Xhekaj is not an enforcer, he's got good nhl talent.

He's got great size (6'4 240 lbs), is a good skater (regardless of size), got decent offensive abilities (has an extremely hard shot, good hands + passing ability) and is very mean + physical.

He's also only 23 years old, so he still has a lot of development left. The habs have Guhle and Hutson on the left side, so he's unlikely to play much in the top 4, but he's got the talent to become a 2nd pairing dman.
Luke Gazdic once won the Oilers hardest shot competition. Nobody's stick checking you in a hardest shot...

Reactions: spaghtti

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Easily.
Xhekaj would make the bottom pairing of any team in the league.
He could barely make the bottom pairing of one of the worse dcores in hockey lmao.

He doesn't make the LD core on (based on puckpedia depth charts):
Anaheim (worse than Dumoulin)
Boston (worse than Zadorov)
Buff (worse than Samuelsson)
He might make calgary over Bean, although both suck
Car (worse than Ghost)
He might make Chi over kaiser although he'd be the 6th D and you'd probably rather give opportunities to Korchinski
Col (worse than Kylington)
He would make CBJ over Jack johnson
Dal (worse than Lindell)
Detroit (worse than Maatta)
Edmonton (worse than Kulak)
Florida (worse than Schmidt)
LAK (worse than Anderson)
He could make Minnesota over Chisholm
Heck apparently he can't even beat out Struble in MTL
Maybe he could beat out Stastney but you'd move one of Fabbro or Schenn to the left and he still wouldn't play
NJD (worse than Dillon)
NYI (worse than Reilly)
Maybe he could beat out Zac Jones
Maybe he could beat out Kleven
Philly (worse than Zamula)
Pitt (worse than Graves)
Maybe he could beat out Thrun in SJS, but you'd rather play Shakir
Sea (worse than Evans)
STL (worse than Suter)
He could make TBL over Lilleberg maybe
Maybe Tor (worse than Benoit)
Utah (worse than Cole)
Van (worse than Forbort)
VGK (worse than McNabb)
Was (worse than Sandin)
He could maybe make WPG he's about the same as stanley

He maybe makes 11-12 teams, mostly in a competition with some other shit depth dman

Reactions: Xirik and HBK27

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
he has eight career goals.

I like the kid, he's a throwback, but Habs fans are kidding themselves if they think other teams are drooling at the prospect of giving up crazy amounts for him.
Yes 8 goals in 95 games without pp time. He's not a offensive dynamo but he have a good shoot. Becoming a heathly "Erskine" with more offence is what should be his ceilling. And don't kid yourself, every team would like to have him

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
He could barely make the bottom pairing of one of the worse dcores in hockey lmao.

Car (worse than Ghost)
He might make Chi over kaiser although he'd be the 6th D and you'd probably rather give opportunities to Korchinski
Dal (worse than Lindell)
Maybe he could beat out Stastney but you'd move one of Fabbro or Schenn to the left and he still wouldn't play
NJD (worse than Dillon)
NYI (worse than Reilly)
Pitt (worse than Graves)
Sea (worse than Evans)
STL (worse than Suter)
Utah (worse than Cole)
Van (worse than Forbort)
VGK (worse than McNabb)
Was (worse than Sandin)

He maybe makes 11-12 teams, mostly in a competition with some other shit depth dman
Incredible that you have rankings that far down the depth chart. I mean... 3rd pairing LDs are what 160th-192nd overall defencemen.

Way to go Gibbs! You must watch an insane amount of hockey to have players rankings that deep! Surprised you aren't working for a team somewhere!

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

Car (worse than Ghost)
Dal (worse than Lindell)
NJD (worse than Dillon)
NYI (worse than Reilly)
Pitt (worse than Graves)
Sea (worse than Evans)
STL (worse than Suter)
Utah (worse than Cole)
Van (worse than Forbort)
VGK (worse than McNabb)
Was (worse than Sandin)

Stopped after you suggested Zadorov is a bottom-pairing D. No point in reading further.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Stopped after you suggested Zadorov is a bottom-pairing D. No point in reading further.
Zadorov is worse than Lohrei yes. If you prefer I can switch them, both are better than xhekaj

Incredible that you have rankings that far down the depth chart. I mean... 3rd pairing LDs are what 160th-192nd overall defencemen.

Way to go Gibbs! You must watch an insane amount of hockey to have players rankings that deep! Surprised you aren't working for a team somewhere!
General ranges, which is why when you get down to the scrubs like Xhekaj, Johnson, Zamula, Jones, Kleven, Korchinski, Bean, Thrun, etc it's pretty interchangable.

• Haha
Reactions: waitin425

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
But he has a 107.9 MPH clapper he’d never be able to get off in a game! Did you not see that part?!

Luke Gazdic once won the Oilers hardest shot competition. Nobody's stick checking you in a hardest shot...

Are we pretending that having one of the hardest shots in the league is not a good asset to have?

Car (worse than Ghost)
Dal (worse than Lindell)
NJD (worse than Dillon)
NYI (worse than Reilly)
Pitt (worse than Graves)
Sea (worse than Evans)
STL (worse than Suter)
Utah (worse than Cole)
Van (worse than Forbort)
VGK (worse than McNabb)
Was (worse than Sandin)

Xhekaj would make the bottom pairing over several of the guys you have, especially considering that a lot of them are over 30, and teams will prefer to play the 23 year old developing big mean and physical dman over the 30 something year old declining dman.

Xhekaj can also play the right side, so the option to put him on the right, or put him on the left and put the other ld on the right, are there.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Are we pretending that having one of the hardest shots in the league is not a good asset to have?

Xhekaj would make the bottom pairing over several of the guys you have, especially considering that a lot of them are over 30, and teams will prefer to play the 23 year old developing big mean and physical dman over the 30 something year old declining dman.

Xhekaj can also play the right side, so the option to put him on the right, or put him on the left and put the other ld on the right, are there.
Are we pretending that a controlled environment is the same as a game situation?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I'm saying that having the hardest shot isn't indicative of a player's talent level or NHL impact.

Heck Martin Frk has arguably the hardest shot in professional hockey (109.2 MPH) and he's an NHL/AHL tweener.

Reactions: BM14 and dgibb10

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

You seem to underestimate how ineffective Xhekaj is as a hockey player. Only the scrub teams who aren't planning on making the playoffs at all worry about forcing minutes to a nearly 24 year old enforcer for "development".

Teams trying to win are going to give minutes to either: top prospects (20 year olds who are a lot higher pedigree than Xhekaj), or the best guy who can help them win. Xhekaj is neither.

Going into tanking teams that I said Xhekaj wouldn't make:

Ducks: traded for Dumoulin for a reason, and will be playing him over better prospects than Xhekaj such as Helleson and Luneau.

Oh wait that's the only one.

Heck even MTL wouldn't give Xhekaj consistent minutes/games over veterans like Kovacevic/Savard/Matheson, so that's bullshit

Reactions: BM14

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

A bottom pairing D who doesn’t play either special teams is not that valuable.

Reactions: dgibb10

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
You got that far but didn't understand the part where he clearly says "based on puckpedia depth charts"

No point in replying further.

Yeah. puckpedia depth charts. Consulting them without applying any judgment sure speaks a lot about one's ability to convince he knows what the f*** he's talking about.

Reactions: bud12

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Yes 8 goals in 95 games without pp time. He's not a offensive dynamo but he have a good shoot. Becoming a heathly "Erskine" with more offence is what should be his ceilling. And don't kid yourself, every team would like to have him
I know this B's fan would be more than happy to have him

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
why do they call him wifi or is it wifey
well first of all its wifi and its because his name looks like a wifi password. also id bet you wouldn't have the stones to call him wifey to his face....,

Dont bother my friend. You are talking to a few notorious Habs haters. You could be offering Roy or Richard and they would find a way to say they are worthless. You are wasting your time....

Reactions: HabsAddict

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Arber Xhekaj is on the fast track to become Mike Komisarek 2.0 in Hab-land.

He'll be their savior for a few years before realizing his ceiling at the NHL level is far lower than acknowledged. Too bad they no longer have the ability to vote him into a starting AS game lineup like Komisarek.

Thaaaat being said, it's a good to have a rough and tumble dude like that on the back end, especially for a team trying to work their way up the standings like MTL. I still don't think he wears a Habs uniform for longer than a couple more years. He will eventually get scapegoated when more is asked of him than he can reasonably handle.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Yeah. puckpedia depth charts. Consulting them without applying any judgment sure speaks a lot about one's ability to convince he knows what the f*** he's talking about.
The judgement was that Mason Lohrei is a stud. You're welcome to go read about what bruins fans think about Lohrei.

Both are better than Xhekaj tho, so I didn't think it was particularly relevant to get in a debate about who will be the 2LD this coming year.

If you can think of examples of guys I have misjudged as the 2LD who are worse than Xhekaj while the 3LD I listed is better than Xhekaj, go ahead

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Arber Xhekaj is on the fast track to become Mike Komisarek 2.0 in Hab-land.

He'll be their savior for a few years before realizing his ceiling at the NHL level is far lower than acknowledged. Too bad they no longer have the ability to vote him into a starting AS game lineup like Komisarek.

Thaaaat being said, it's a good to have a rough and tumble dude like that on the back end, especially for a team trying to work their way up the standings like MTL. I still don't think he wears a Habs uniform for longer than a couple more years. He will eventually get scapegoated when more is asked of him than he can reasonably handle.

He'll never be asked to do anything more than what he's doing now though. Which is making you guys cry like little girls and kick some asses on a third pairing.

The fancy stuff is going to get taken care of by guys like Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux and Guhle.

But keep going. I'm always in for a good laugh.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Dont bother my friend. You are talking to a few notorious Habs haters. You could be offering Roy or Richard and they would find a way to say they are worthless. You are wasting your time....
In his defense, Roy is 58 years old and hasn't played in over 20 years and Richard is dead, so I don't think they'd have a lot of value. LOL

Last edited:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
He'll never be asked to do anything more than what he's doing now though. Which is making you guys cry like little girls and kick some asses on a third pairing.

The fancy stuff is going to get taken care of by guys like Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux and Guhle.

But keep going. I'm always in for a good laugh.

I think you should perhaps consider your own emotional volatility on the topic if you’re writing a sentence like that in response to what I posted.

You have no crystal ball to tell me he will never be asked to perform above his ability. Are those other four guys you listed all guaranteed to perform admirably in the long term in the position you anticipate? Of course not. It never works that way.

I have no idea what you’re “laughing” at. Xhekaj is a cool player to have. Love the idea of someone that no one realty saw coming making an impact (to whatever degree that may be). As indicated, I’m not sold on the hype (see initial post by Habs fan in this thread about him commanding at least two first round picks in a trade). I would hardly equate that to “crying like a little girl”.

But keyboard warrior it up if you will.

I think it’s worth noting, that perhaps logically, tough players really pull the emotions out of hometown fans and precipitate an outsized amount of hype given what will be their actual impact. For another example of that, see: Rempe, Matthew.

Not saying either guy isn’t an NHL contributor. What I am saying is that neither is worth two first round picks.

• Haha
Reactions: Kents polished head

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad