Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
People really trying hard to hate on the most competent group since the beginning of the 2000s by a country mile.

Wah wah wah I want a rebuild to be over by year 3.
No sir I know the rebuild is far from over and management is straddled with several bad contracts, I just want to see on ice leadership, decent play in the D zone, i want to see a team ready to play when the puck drops.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
No sir I know the rebuild is far from over and management is straddled with several bad contracts, I just want to see on ice leadership, decent play in the D zone, i want to see a team ready to play when the puck drops.

But what is more true.. the team last year that competed most nights, led the league in 1 goal games, and lost most nights due to a lack of talent and not a lack of execution/pace

or a less than 10 game sample to start the season where everybody looks off?

I'm inclined to believe that the larger sample size of the horses in the room is more indicative of who they are than a struggling young roster to start the year.

Reactions: Benstheman

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Looking at all these deals by Hughes, other than Hutson, there is hardly anything to be really excited about

View attachment 920948
The Hutson deal was more luck that he was still there, as they didn't target him from Edmonton and he was a nice surprise.

The Toffoli deal might be really nice in turn.

Mike Matheson and a 4th, who's a solid prospect for the Habs is a good deal.

The dumping of Petry again along with others to get a 2nd and a 3rd is a good deal.

The Monahan deal to take him on for free, then trade him for a 1st (later added the 2nd from the Barron trade to move up and select Hage) is a nice deal.

I don't hate Hughes, I don't particularly like him, but he's made deals and been somewhat aggressive.

Let's not forget he got Laine and a 2nd for Harris. Sucks Laine got hurt as I was hoping to eat crow, but that's a well worth it deal.

In comparison, Bergevin didn't try and get Teravainen and Bickell for futures. Have to imagine the Hawks would have traded with him and his connection over the Canes, but when you're an idiot you don't do basic things.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
7238ee10-e85f-4f64-8b6e-e92b10c67a3c_text.gif

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
But what is more true.. the team last year that competed most nights, led the league in 1 goal games, and lost most nights due to a lack of talent and not a lack of execution/pace

or a less than 10 game sample to start the season where everybody looks off?

I'm inclined to believe that the larger sample size of the horses in the room is more indicative of who they are than a struggling young roster to start the year.
👍
They are not trading Arber unless he never develops into a capable bottom pairing defenseman.
Hard to develop being a healthy scratch. Marty seems to prioritize developing some players more than others. MSL is doing everything he can to help Dach get going as he should but why not help Xhekaj the same way?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
👍

Hard to develop being a healthy scratch. Marty seems to prioritize developing some players more than others. MSL is doing everything he can to help Dach get going as he should but why not help Xhekaj the same way?

Who is the future 2C that is currently sitting and scratched that should play over Dach?

If Xhekaj plays and gets infinite rope, that means Struble also has to sit and not play. They are in a competition. If there is an alternative for your play and that alternative has outplayed you up to this point, and you had an opportunity when they were hurt, and didn't take it. Then you have to bide your time for your next chance.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Who is the future 2C that is currently sitting and scratched that should play over Dach?

If Xhekaj plays and gets infinite rope, that means Struble also has to sit and not play. They are in a competition. If there is an alternative for your play and that alternative has outplayed you up to this point, and you had an opportunity when they were hurt, and didn't take it. Then you have to bide your time for your next chance.
Agreed but has Struble been any better? No he hasn't, maybe he is rusty but none of the young D have gone without struggles. If Xhekaj sits 3 straight there is an issue.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If they trade Arber And keep on sucking i'm done With them till St-Louis gets canned and maybe Huges as well
Imagine staking your whole Habs fandom on whether or not they trade Arber Xhekaj...when there's not even an indication they event want to trade him.

I'm a big AX fan, but he's by far and away, the most overrated Habs player by this fanbase.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Agreed but has Struble been any better? No he hasn't, maybe he is rusty but none of the young D have gone without struggles. If Xhekaj sits 3 straight there is an issue.

He was miles and leagues better in pre-season.

He then got hurt and that was Arber's chance and he fumbled the bag.

Xhekaj likely plays because of the injury to Barron. When he gets back in there, he has to make a case to stay in the lineup.

We can't just put him out there because he can punch people in the face. He has to find his game outside of that. Not every game is going to call for that and if you are a liability, that just adds to the issues we already have.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He was miles and leagues better in pre-season.

He then got hurt and that was Arber's chance and he fumbled the bag.

Xhekaj likely plays because of the injury to Barron. When he gets back in there, he has to make a case to stay in the lineup.

We can't just put him out there because he can punch people in the face. He has to find his game outside of that. Not every game is going to call for that and if you are a liability, that just adds to the issues we already have.
I said it during camp and was blasted for it...when he was getting kicked out of games and barely playing while leaving the team short handed with ill advised and ill executed payback fights, I said that he's playing like someone who thinks he doesn't have to compete for a spot every night.

And here we are.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
Imagine staking your whole Habs fandom on whether or not they trade Arber Xhekaj...when there's not even an indication they event want to trade him.

I'm a big AX fan, but he's by far and away, the most overrated Habs player by this fanbase.

Hughes has been on the record saying they traded Romanov because they had a lot of depth on the left side (citing Guhle and a certain Arber Xhekaj). They declined offers for him when the league called when he was sent to Laval last year. People are making nonsensical scenarios about trading him when there is nothing to suggest that the management wants to.

Arber has all the tools to be more than a goon in this league. It's up to him to show he can do it on a consistent basis. Otherwise, a goon defenseman will be in and out of the lineup on a consistant basis.​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad