Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Xhekaj after the Trouba hit on Barron...

1729704995938.png

If you know you know

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I wouldn't blame him if he wants out.
I know he is definitiely nowhere near same caliber of a player, but it's a Subban-Therrien situation all over again. We have a player that is a fan favorite, that brings something that the team lacked for ages, that still a better defenseman than those that the coach pushed down our throats, yet the Napoleon there doesn't like him and he eventually will leave to do better somewhere. While Habs will continue to dress a bunch of creampuffs who get run over night after night.

Why can't this organization figure out that NHL is a tough and rough place to play and you need that on your team?

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
The Habs don't deserve this kid. Too f***ing stupid to truly work with him and develop him. How is it possible that he was a better player 2 seasons ago?

People gave Ducharme shit for destroying Caufield's confidence but MSL does the same thing with Xhekaj.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Something happened to this organization somewhere in the 90's. They're just so uncomfortable with having toughness in the lineup and they just don't know how to deal with these kind of players.

Reactions: Hannibal

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
The league is soft now. I get all the games , I think there was 4 fights in 16 games last night.
Edit. 3 fight in 16 games lol.

Last edited:

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Yup. Xhekaj's been bad but his replacements have not been better.

They need a guy like him to impose respect.

I was at the game. After the Barron hit, people in the stands behind the pressbox started chanting Xhekaj's name. Slafkovsky (who was laughing his ass off hearing it), Laine and RHP turned around and knew exactly what the fans meant and understood very well. Arber himself was pretending not to hear it, I'm guessing out of frustration. It was a clear indication (to me) that the players want this guy to play. They would rather live with the bad but have that fear factor on the ice.

At this point, the team is not winning anything so it doesn't matter that he sucks as a hockey player. Unless they get someone else to bring that element in the lineup, they need someone like Xhekaj to protect the team.
He wasn’t playing like himself but I seriously believe Marty has certain players afraid to make a mistake,this is what separates an experienced coach from someone learning on the fly and this is where were ultimately going, which is backwards. I hate it when they say the fans don’t know anything yet if the people paying to see you perform can’t judge you what’s the point of your existence?

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Sigh
I just don't get Marty sometimes
I had a hard time figuring out coaching decisions last year from both pro teams, but I’m often coaching from the couch. I can be critical and keep it to myself.

What I try to keep in mind is that he had zero coaching experience, so what our kids heard last year and jumped to it…..this year they may need a more creative version of MSL. And he may not have a different approach. I remember in training camp & the golf tournament MSL said there was going a different direction with player’s expectations. It’s early in the year I guess.

He's done a great job with the PP, Burrows was really in over his head.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Softest team in the league doesn't need a guy like Xhekaj in its line-up. :pcheer:
There was a reason I wanted to address the bottom 6 last off season.
I thought our brain trust understood the need but they clearly didn't.
We couldn't even land one player to help ensure teams respect us a little bit.
I'm not sure getting Laine was a good bet but I am sure we'd get just as bitch slapped with him in the lineup.
Hughes talked about getting bigger it was the first thing out of his mouth but not a word about getting tougher.

Reactions: Monsieur Miz

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
If Arber Xhekaj legitimately wants to be traded because he is getting scratched for not playing better than his competition, then trade him.

Thats not the case though because Arber isn't a quitter.

He will be better. But you don't get to just play because you can punch faces.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
you said Matheson got his ass beat and it was embarrassing?

So that's why people are complaining that AX didn't play, presumably that he would have fared better in that fight?

If Arber Xhekaj legitimately wants to be traded because he is getting scratched for not playing better than his competition, then trade him.

Thats not the case though because Arber isn't a quitter.

He will be better. But you don't get to just play because you can punch faces.
I seriously doubt he's that entitled. He's in a competition with other players for a spot. That's his reality.

Like you said, he doesn't strike me as a quitter or someone who would feel like he's above being a healthy scratch.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Yup. Xhekaj's been bad but his replacements have not been better.

They need a guy like him to impose respect.

I was at the game. After the Barron hit, people in the stands behind the pressbox started chanting Xhekaj's name. Slafkovsky (who was laughing his ass off hearing it), Laine and RHP turned around and knew exactly what the fans meant and understood very well. Arber himself was pretending not to hear it, I'm guessing out of frustration. It was a clear indication (to me) that the players want this guy to play. They would rather live with the bad but have that fear factor on the ice.

At this point, the team is not winning anything so it doesn't matter that he sucks as a hockey player. Unless they get someone else to bring that element in the lineup, they need someone like Xhekaj to protect the team.

Wow crazy

I guess Arbs didn't want to end up on tiktok, he kept his game face on.

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver
Sigh
I just don't get Marty sometimes
Maybe 2 things. He was well surrounded to the point where maybe he did not see the need of players like arber. Or he does not like idea of losing arber for 10 minutes a game for fighting causing the d-men to play down a man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad