Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Let's not forget that Jaroslav Halak carried that team and the timely goal-scoring of Mike Cammalleri. It was good to have toughness but we lived and died with Jaro.
Cammalleri led the entire playoff in goals that year. You only need two or three fingers to count how many other players in the history of the league scored more goals in the playoffs than cammalleri in 2010 without reaching the final.

It was a historic run for cammalleri but completely overshadowed by the heroics of halak.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
People worried he's going to just be a goon.. don't put him in the same box as the rest of the league (whos fans clearly don't ever watch the Habs) put him in.

The guy can play and he knows he'll have to in order to stay in the lineup. We have a crazy amount of guys coming up pushing for spots. He's not going to be taking 7 minute penalties in the regular season costing us games or throwing cheap shots because someone said something to him earlier.

I get fans want him riding the line but this is where some type of coaching has to come into it. I think he'll be fine, personally, but if not hopefully Marty is there to straighten him out.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
People worried he's going to just be a goon.. don't put him in the same box as the rest of the league (whos fans clearly don't ever watch the Habs) put him in.

The guy can play and he knows he'll have to in order to stay in the lineup. We have a crazy amount of guys coming up pushing for spots. He's not going to be taking 7 minute penalties in the regular season costing us games or throwing cheap shots because someone said something to him earlier.

I get fans want him riding the line but this is where some type of coaching has to come into it. I think he'll be fine, personally, but if not hopefully Marty is there to straighten him out.
The problem is sooner or later someone is going to run one of our star players.
It's really not a question of if it's a question of when.
Ideally he's on the ice and can react taking a two at most but getting a message across to both teams.
Unfortunately he's far more likely to be on the bench so if someone else doesn't step in can he let it go?
The retaliation when it's two shifts later is always going get cracked down hard on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leto

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
The problem is sooner or later someone is going to run one of our star players.
It's really not a question of if it's a question of when.
Ideally he's on the ice and can react taking a two at most but getting a message across to both teams.
Unfortunately he's far more likely to be on the bench so if someone else doesn't step in can he let it go?
The retaliation when it's two shifts later is always going get cracked down on hard.

His teammates are putting him in a terrible spot by not responding. If anything, the other teams will try to exploit it and take him out of the game. Management needs to get a guy to share the load.​

Reactions: Rapala

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Cammalleri led the entire playoff in goals that year. You only need two or three fingers to count how many other players in the history of the league scored more goals in the playoffs than cammalleri in 2010 without reaching the final.

It was a historic run for cammalleri but completely overshadowed by the heroics of halak.
I always thought the Halak love was overrated. Habs barely played hockey, they just collapsed in the slot and gave 50 shots from the blue a game it was pathetic; and it’s a goalie’s dream. Then Cammalleri would get the puck somehow and shoot 50%. I was at a few of those games it was exciting but almost funny.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
His teammates are putting him in a terrible spot by not responding. If anything, the other teams will try to exploit it and take him out of the game. Management needs to get a guy to share the load.​
A lot of teams use the get in their face strategy against Montreal. That mentality coming in will potentially lead to more bad hits it just will.
We are playing in a league where legal hits can spark a heavy reaction so when a bad hit goes unchallenged it looks horribly soft.

Reactions: Leto

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Last edited:
Reactions: The Real Timo

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
I hated so much D's in Habs uniform because of their bad transition. Xhekaj have a great transition. Great hands. Great shot. He is a good passer.

I really like his game, he isn't just a fighter//hitter. He is a very good hockey player aswell!!
Unfortunately he's a defensive liability at the moment. His agility is still an issue as well as his positioning. Nobody gets caught running around trying to make a hit more than Arber. Imo, he's definitely behind Struble for that bottom left side pairing.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
I think people are sleeping on X's ability to play the game. He'll never be a star, but his mobility and puck skills are rare for a guy whose most noticeable trait is his toughness.
And his ability to get hard shots to the net are also greatly under appreciated on this board. The kid is the unicorn.
How many guys in the league have this size, mean streak,protective instinct,confidence and a 107 mph slapshot? Easy answer : 1 and he’s ours.

Reactions: CAUFIELD

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
Unfortunately he's a defensive liability at the moment. His agility is still an issue as well as his positioning. Nobody gets caught running around trying to make a hit more than Arber. Imo, he's definitely behind Struble for that bottom left side pairing.
At the moment? Wasn't +5 in the pre-season?

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
At the moment? Wasn't +5 in the pre-season?
You put a lot of stock into he preseason?

I like Arber, I really do. My issue is if he's going to be a bottom pairing guy, he needs to get so much better in his own end. He's constantly out of position....this needs to improve significantly. He has two years to get his game in order to be an everyday NHL'er....imo of course.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
You put a lot of stock into he preseason?

I like Arber, I really do. My issue is if he's going to be a bottom pairing guy, he needs to get so much better in his own end. He's constantly out of position....this needs to improve significantly. He has two years to get his game in order to be an everyday NHL'er....imo of course.
None. But you said at the moment, I didn't.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I know +/- isn't the best stat, but he was second on the team last year. He can't be as bad defensively as People seem to think
He isn't his mistakes tend to get magnified because he is under far more scrutiny than Struble who does make mistake too.
Other than having to respond to POS hits his camp was fairly tidy IMO.

Reactions: The Real Timo

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
So third pairing...:huh:
How was Barron in the sheltered department.
Kovacevic had around the same TOI as Xhekaj per game, but he was used as a shutdown D (against weaker opposition). Struble was used similar to Kovacevic, but played more minutes.

Xhekaj was mostly deployed in the ozone against week strength of opposition.

Barron faced average strength of opposition and played ~3 minutes more than Xhekaj per games.

Xhekaj was less sheltered when he came back from the AHL, let see if that holds up this year.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Kovacevic had around the same TOI as Xhekaj per game, but he was used as a shutdown D (against weaker opposition). Struble was used similar to Kovacevic, but played more minutes.

Xhekaj was mostly deployed in the ozone against week strength of opposition.

Barron faced average strength of opposition and played ~3 minutes more than Xhekaj per games.

Xhekaj was less sheltered when he came back from the AHL, let see if that holds up this year.
Good point he also played some of his best and most consistent hockey after he returned.
It's important because I do think there will be some games his pairing will have to step up if Hutson/Savard get swamped.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad