Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Most people here understand this, but there's way too much toxic masculinity being used in making this point. You can both like ballet and hockey, or ever (heaven forbid!) wear skinny jeans, and still come down on either side of the argument with a rational position. You don't sound tough in calling people pu*sies/skinny jeans/etc. You sound like a moron.
Amazing disconnect between complaining about another opinion and then adding you own moronic opinion.

Ignored....

Reactions: Pickles

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Honestly
I just can't stand that some still call him 'WiFi' lol
When we have clearly moved know the real nickname of 'Sheriff'
WiFi makes him sound like some punk Gen Z kid
It was cute for his first training camp there sure,

But it's the Sheriff now.

Pretty sure those who actually are in contact with him on a daily basis and call him Wifi (i.e. the players and coaching staff) have more say in whatever his nickname is than some randoms on a hockey forum.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Have you seen yesterday the lightning game? When Hedman got hit? Kucherov, who was on the ice, jump the guy that made the hit. We have nobody who does that on our team. It shouldnt always be on Xhekaj’s shoulders.
A portion of our fanbase and media couldn't handle something that lolol. We're still talking about Xhekaj defending a teammate in a preseason game like it's a national incident.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I agree there is a reffing problem, always stems back to the instigator rule. None of this BS happens if they get rid of it. There will be fights, but the days of running around with no worries about getting a beatdown in an important game will be over. The NHL has had a reffing and problem with the rules for decades.
Yeah because we never saw cheap shot artists like Claude Lemieux, or Darius Kasparitis when there was no instigator rule right? The instigator doesn't stop enforcers from beating down opponents who they feel crossed a line which is exactly what we just saw. Hell it's not even enforced most of the time.

The reffing sucks and will always suck so long as refs are being taught that they should let the players play and only get involved to "manage" the game before it gets out of hand. If they ever realize that by not calling a penalty and letting them play they are influencing the game just as much as calling the penalty then we might start to see some competence. Until then the refs might as well have to face the press after each game because the NHL has made them part of the show.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Yeah because we never saw cheap shot artists like Claude Lemieux, or Darius Kasparitis when there was no instigator rule right? The instigator doesn't stop enforcers from beating down opponents who they feel crossed a line which is exactly what we just saw. Hell it's not even enforced most of the time.

The reffing sucks and will always suck so long as refs are being taught that they should let the players play and only get involved to "manage" the game before it gets out of hand. If they ever realize that by not calling a penalty and letting them play they are influencing the game just as much as calling the penalty then we might start to see some competence. Until then the refs might as well have to face the press after each game because the NHL has made them part of the show.

Claude's bullshit started after 92 when the instigator rule came into effect. Kasparitis antics also were after the rule was in place. Neither of them would have attempted that before the rule was in place, same for Ulf Samuelsson.

Were there dirty hits before 92? Yup. Did they happen more than once? Rarely, and someone paid the price over and over again

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
another good quote from MSL...referencing the team and more specifically Arber;

Je ne sais pas ce que les gars ont mangé cet été. Tu n’haïs pas ça, mais tu espères que rien de grave ne va arriver. Il faut être un peu plus mesuré. Mais en même temps, c’est plus facile de retenir ses hommes que de leur dire : "Envoye, j’en veux plus." C’est deux extrêmes. Mais j’aime mieux avoir l’extrême où il faut que je les retienne et qu’on soit un peu plus mesurés [que l’inverse], a dit St-Louis.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
If you think X is going to be traded, your know nothing about hockey and what X represents to the team.

For non Hab fans and skinny jean crowd read it and run along....

@OldCraig71 they are picking on your Wrangler Jeans again

• Wow
Reactions: OldCraig71

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Claude's bullshit started after 92 when the instigator rule came into effect. Kasparitis antics also were after the rule was in place. Neither of them would have attempted that before the rule was in place, same for Ulf Samuelsson.

Were there dirty hits before 92? Yup. Did they happen more than once? Rarely, and someone paid the price over and over again

Honestly, samuelsson was doing horsecrap things way back as a whaler. Chris nilan would attest to that. Did Claude lemieux ever change? One of my first memories is from the 89 finals how he would just blatantly keep running Mike Vernon.

Ken Linseman was known as the rat and made a living being that in the 80s.

Some of the notorious guys just couldn't help themselves despite the different conditions. I think what has emboldened players these days is that the greasy areas are no longer the trenches that they used to be, so more players willing to go stick their nose in there and do certain things.... the reason for that emoldenment goes well beyond the instigator rule in my opinion and has more to do with the league having much lower tolerance on infractions in general, and retributions are way more scrutinized than ever.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Honestly, samuelsson was doing horsecrap things way back as a whaler. Chris nilan would attest to that. Did Claude lemieux ever change? One of my first memories is from the 89 finals how he would just blatantly keep running Mike Vernon.

Ken Linseman was known as the rat and made a living being that in the 80s.

Some of the notorious guys just couldn't help themselves despite the different conditions. I think what has emboldened players these days is that the greasy areas are no longer the trenches that they used to be, so more players willing to go stick their nose in there and do certain things.... the reason for that emoldenment goes well beyond the instigator rule in my opinion and has more to do with the league having much lower tolerance on infractions in general, and retributions are way more scrutinized than ever.

I just find the instigator rule is used as a weapon now as a strategy at times.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Umm the instigator rule came in in 76 but was rarely ever called until really 2009 when they put an increased focus on it. It's never been a deterrent, just like fighting has never been a deterrent because you know what, lots of hockey players like to fight so it's going to do zilch in deterring them. Like seriously, you think Xhekaj is ever thinking I better not throw a dirty hit because then I might get in a fight that I will probably win.

Did Bobby Clarke only do one dirty play because he or someone had to pay the price by fighting? No he spent his whole doing dirty plays because he was a dirty player.

If anything increased "dirty" hits, which I'd need to see actual proof that it increased has more to do with the speed of the game and the changing views on what constitutes a dirty hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad