Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Have you seen yesterday the lightning game? When Hedman got hit? Kucherov, who was on the ice, jump the guy that made the hit. We have nobody who does that on our team. It shouldnt always be on Xhekaj’s shoulders.

Yep

Lighthearted
Sep 12, 2009
Planète XY 1000 Z
Have you seen yesterday the lightning game? When Hedman got hit? Kucherov, who was on the ice, jump the guy that made the hit. We have nobody who does that on our team. It shouldnt always be on Xhekaj’s shoulders.

I personally would prefer we don't jump the other team after a legit and legal bodycheck. Or else I'll watch pro wrestling instead of hockey.

Reactions: MasterD

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
Solid post. Predation begets predation. Player safety department directed by former players whose careers were spent without wearing gloves on the ice much of the time. He is cut from the same cloth.
It’s the on ice officials who create this atmosphere/environment. The players have to perform within it. Haven’t had this level protection since Brashhear. With a nod to Prusty.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
You are misinterpreting what I wrote.
For me the blindside was Greig's hit not Xhekaj's.
That should have been the five and a game a late hit from the side and his hands were high the intent was evident.

Get that call right and everything that followed could have been avoided.
I don't mean to be rude, but can you blame me? I was talking about the Xhekaj hit and you responded saying you hate those hits, haha

I'm also not sure I buy into the "get that call right and nothing follows." I think Xhekaj would have gladly lined someone up anyway. He likes big hits.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
You do realize that you have to be considered a "star" player in the NHL's eyes in order to get away with doing that stuff right?

It's why Kucherov gets only a 2 min penalty but Geekie got the instigator and misconduct. It's why B. Tkachuk only got an offsetting 2min penalty when he jumped Xhekaj after the Stutzle hit despite it being such an obvious intigator call.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I personally would prefer we don't jump the other team after a legit and legal bodycheck. Or else I'll watch pro wrestling instead of hockey.

A non established nhler going after a star in a preseason game is always going to spark a response.

It's one of the most hated things among nhlers, and it's one if those things that is not spoken about but there is an understanding.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
A non established nhler going after a star in a preseason game is always going to spark a response.

It's one of the most hated things among nhlers, and it's one if those things that is not spoken about but there is an understanding.
Someone needs to give that memo to the group that watched Laine get clipped or Dach getting blindsided.

Yep

Lighthearted
Sep 12, 2009
Planète XY 1000 Z

I get where the Tampa players are coming from and I don't blame them. I find the refs could do a better job game management wise and the NHL rules should not allow this. It is getting ridiculous.

But again, I'm entertained by the sport when it's being played. The after whistle stuff (wreslting, rage vengeance, intimidation...) bores me when it becomes the main event.

Last edited:
Reactions: RealityBytes

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
Although I’ve voiced my concerns…The disrespect WiFi is getting from non hab fans is absolutely insane. If this dude was a flyer or a bruin he would be a living legend. It’s the crest on his chest.. it’s not allowed to represent toughness.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
You do realize that you have to be considered a "star" player in the NHL's eyes in order to get away with doing that stuff right?

It's why Kucherov gets only a 2 min penalty but Geekie got the instigator and misconduct. It's why B. Tkachuk only got an offsetting 2min penalty when he jumped Xhekaj after the Stutzle hit despite it being such an obvious intigator call.
They only got 2 min because they didn't throw a single punch. To get a instigator call you need to be in a fight.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Although I’ve voiced my concerns…The disrespect WiFi is getting from non hab fans is absolutely insane. If this dude was a flyer or a bruin he would be a living legend. It’s the crest on his chest.. it’s not allowed to represent toughness.
Why do you care what the media and/or other fanbases think of a Habs player? I'm certain Xhekaj doesn't care and neither should we because we all know it's hypocritical BS. You should laugh and celebrate the crocodile tears.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
They only got 2 min because they didn't throw a single punch. To get a instigator call you need to be in a fight.
Watch the video again, Tkachuk throws at least 3 punches, one as they both go down, and then two more as he gets back up and the linesman are coming in.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002

That dude is a total wanker. The lightning are pissed because some putz is running around the preseason laying people out. Ok cool, nothing too serious, but he's running around unchecked and without any worries. So they are ok until he hits Hedman, up until then it's been pretty uneventful. Divisional rivals, you know it won't take much to get things going in a preseason game.

Tampa sends a message that his bullshit isn't liked very much, a message that will go into the regular season as an immediate rival. I'm fine with it either way. I like hockey with emotion, good times

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
Why do you care what the media and/or other fanbases think of a Habs player? I'm certain Xhekaj doesn't care and neither should we because we all know it's hypocritical BS. You should laugh and celebrate the crocodile tears.
I don’t care, just pointing out the hypocrisy

Yep

Lighthearted
Sep 12, 2009
Planète XY 1000 Z
That dude is a total wanker. The lightning are pissed because some putz is running around the preseason laying people out. Ok cool, nothing too serious, but he's running around unchecked and without any worries. So they are ok until he hits Hedman, up until then it's been pretty uneventful. Divisional rivals, you know it won't take much to get things going in a preseason game.

Tampa sends a message that his bullshit isn't liked very much, a message that will go into the regular season as an immediate rival. I'm fine with it either way. I like hockey with emotion, good times

I understand that, the messages, the code, the respect, etc. And I like emotion too.

But honest question : what message are the NHL and refs are sending when they let things getting out of control half the time?

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Honestly
I just can't stand that some still call him 'WiFi' lol
When we have clearly moved know the real nickname of 'Sheriff'
WiFi makes him sound like some punk Gen Z kid
It was cute for his first training camp there sure,

But it's the Sheriff now.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Honestly
I just can't stand that some still call him 'WiFi' lol
When we have clearly moved know the real nickname of 'Sheriff'
WiFi makes him sound like some punk Gen Z kid
It was cute for his first training camp there sure,

But it's the Sheriff now.

I always thought X made the most sense as a short form/nick name and I know Elon agrees with me.

Reactions: Redux91

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
I understand that, the messages, the code, the respect, etc. And I like emotion too.

But honest question : what message are the NHL and refs are sending when they let things getting out of control half the time?

I agree there is a reffing problem, always stems back to the instigator rule. None of this BS happens if they get rid of it. There will be fights, but the days of running around with no worries about getting a beatdown in an important game will be over. The NHL has had a reffing and problem with the rules for decades.

Reactions: Yep

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
I don't have an issue with going after a player after a huge clean body check on one of our star players. So long as fighting is legal, I don't see why we wouldn't? You get a penalty, sure, but the idea is to make the other team think twice about those actions. A penalty is potentially a small price to pay to send that message and its up to the team to make the decision on the cost/benefit of taking the penalty. Some people think that just because a hit is legal, you shouldn't get in there, but you need to get in there, cause a clean body check can cause just as much of an injury as an illegal one, and the idea is to minimize such occurrences.

In other words, you can both accept a check is legal (and not demand a penalty/suspension) and also go after the guy to reduce such happenings in the future, and accept the price that goes with it. It's a transaction, and not at all a reflection of not wanting to see clean body checks in the game, but lets face it, you want to see them in neutral games, or against other teams, not on our own boys (unless you love seeing our guys laid out or with severe injuries).

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If you think X is going to be traded, your know nothing about hockey and what X represents to the team.

For non Hab fans and skinny jean crowd read it and run along....

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
If you think X is going to be traded, your know nothing about hockey and what X represents to the team.

For non Hab fans and skinny jean crowd read it and run along....

Most people here understand this, but there's way too much toxic masculinity being used in making this point. You can both like ballet and hockey, or ever (heaven forbid!) wear skinny jeans, and still come down on either side of the argument with a rational position. You don't sound tough in calling people pu*sies/skinny jeans/etc. You sound like a moron.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There's definitely some differences of opinion on Xhekaj in the media, but I've noticed the following:

-- A lot of Habs reporters/journalists are in fact backing Xhekaj's actions. Not just one, but many.

-- Habs social media account has gone out of its way to feature Xhekaj in the last 48h (photo of him on the ice with "patrolling" caption, and today at Mont-Tremblant next to Dach).

-- Teammates and coach 100% have his back.

So, the divide is between quite a large segment of journalists + habs management + team, and some institutionalist journalists (bettman asslickers) and journalists who are "asking questions" without bothering to answer questions (tony, gallo, etc).

I would say Xhekaj is quite safe at the moment despite some supposed twitterati scrutiny.
"Media" are clowns and circus act that need attention.

X is untouchable and they know that if they re-fabricate some of what comes out of their rear end against X and the Habs, they will get clicks.

It goes waaay back when a local rags in other cities thought that Ferguson should be arrested for "fighting without gloves". Back then, local rags were just that, local, now because of the net, even the lowest clown reporter reaches an audience and worse, agreeing droolers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad