Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
Arber is getting cooked on X today. Oooof…Coming from all corners of hockey commentary. Some even implied he turtled. Lol
X, the grand arena of intellectual heavyweights. Half the people on there can't remember to take their meds, and the other half haven't figured out they need them yet!

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I love Xhekaj, but no matter the player, I'm not a fan of that kind of hit. Take him out clean on the board. Hard. Make him hurt and think of his momma. I want the other teams afraid of going close to the board. But open ice hits where 95% of the time you get a major for it is not useful.
I never advocate for hitting vulnerable players BUT if a guy like Ridley Greig in a pre season game blindsides a top 6 forward then sadly it becomes a game of an eye for an eye. One of the issues I see is how easily refs allow games to get out of hand.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Some time ago, probably in a rumor period (july 1st or TDL), I added Hockey30 to my notifications by mistake. On my phone. Since then it's been a barrage of silly clickbait headlines completely based on an idiot's 'interpretation' of events. Mostly always trying to brew shit in habsland. It's like the Habs version of the National Inquire. Even worst, it's written in a very poor French.

Today was the day I finally decided to make the effort of scrolling the notification list to remove that bullshit forever.

The headline was something along the lines of "it's finally over between Xhekaj and Saint-Louis".

:facepalm:

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Anyone who is upset with The Sheriff and would like to see him demoted clearly to me is lacking wisdom and can’t see the big picture. The Sheriff being on the team is a restrainer for opposing teams to take aggressive runs at our stars and smaller players. Someone has to be the enforcer to deter that kind of behavior. Today, The Sheriff is the Chosen One. Let him be…..I’m sure when it counts he will be more discreet. Celebrate The Sheriff….he’s a blessing, not a curse.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Codes are absolutely stupid. The league has rules and has the ability to suspend players who don't respect them.

Letting the players police themselves is some real 1950s crap that every needs to be moved on from.
You... you don't actually watch any games, do you?

You don't know how society works, do you?

Things happen and there's no supplemental punishment for it, so you need to do it yourself.

Sometimes, that's how life is, too.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
One thing I will say, the refs will be looking to get Xhekaj for everything now. His name is in all the hockey news today. Similar to Rempe last year.
Those same refs will be looking at Xhekaj to help diffuse situations as well.
Here's a dude that neutralizes two players in a scrum almost every time.
The misconception is that Arber goes out looking for trouble when in reality his job is preventing it.
There is absolutely no need for him to participate in staged fights any longer.
I've said it more than once the bullshit of us always being on the receiving end has to stop.

What I don't get is how so many of our fans don't realize what is going on out there
I watched an entire season of players running Guhle every f***ing game last year.
I watched a game where Guhle was shutting down Kucherov he didn't like it and he responded with a chicken shit fly by boarding from behind.
I watched numerous games where Suzuki was getting hacked and wacked between whistles and bumped and harassed after.
No playoffs no in the mix and another bottom finish if this shit isn't addressed...

Unfortunately I don't think we have enough munitions to prevent it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadienna

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Anyone who is upset with The Sheriff and would like to see him demoted clearly to me is lacking wisdom and can’t see the big picture. The Sheriff being on the team is a restrainer for opposing teams to take aggressive runs at our stars and smaller players. Someone has to be the enforcer to deter that kind of behavior. Today, The Sheriff is the Chosen One. Let him be…..I’m sure when it counts he will be more discreet. Celebrate The Sheriff….he’s a blessing, not a curse.
The thing people have to also consider is that he is a pretty good young player who has alot of Development left. I want him to not forget that he is a work in progress and has to balance his rugged play with improved play.

X, the grand arena of intellectual heavyweights. Half the people on there can't remember to take their meds, and the other half haven't figured out they need them yet!
🤣🤣🤣

Opening night he will be in the line up and I will say right now that he will receive one of the top 3 loudest ovations.

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
The amount of fans on this forum that think this is ballet and that are content with our team having gotten their heads bashed in for the last 20 years with no deterrence is outstanding.

"Waaaaah, intent to injure, waaaah."

They go after your top guys. You go after their top guys till they stop. Beating up Greig won't stop them. They'll just send a new knucklehead next time. Cheap shot artists are a dime a dozen in the AHL and NHL. You go after Stuzle and maybe they'll think twice about hitting Dach. In order to legitimately deter, there actually has to be the possibility of the other inside losing something valuable. That's how deterrence actually works in all facets of life, not just Hockey.

Grow up and put your big boy pants on or learn to love continued injury-riddled seasons while crying like bitches every time a Sens player puts one of our guys on the shelf.
Nah bro, you make too much sense for the kumbaya crowd. Let them injure our top guys and we'll just bow, smile and shake their hands.

• Haha
Reactions: 417

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I love Xhekaj, but no matter the player, I'm not a fan of that kind of hit. Take him out clean on the board. Hard. Make him hurt and think of his momma. I want the other teams afraid of going close to the board. But open ice hits where 95% of the time you get a major for it is not useful.
Habs 95% opponents 5%. :sarcasm:

Dude I'm with you but once again the retaliation was The Montreal Canadiens sending a message they felt needed to be sent.
I'm just a fan and if I can suggest or even guess what was going/needed to happen before the fact as the only way to get that message across it says much.
If the Refs f*** up these calls going forward the temperature will go up there's just too much testosterone flying around out there.

The league needs to look long and hard at itself before trying to pin these incidents on the players.
Where is the hue and cry for a proper rule being put in place to protect the players.
There is more onus and penalty put on an accidental high stick drawing a drop of blood than on a blindside hit. :banghead:

Last edited:
Reactions: MangoX

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Florida was 2nd in penalty minutes in the whole league. You need that toughness and other teams have to be affraid of you, if you want to win. Arber, Struble, Slaf, Dach, Pezzetta bring that. I think Guhle will bring that as well in upcoming seasons. Beck can be physical, along with Tuch, Florian and Thorpe when it comes to our prospect pool. Teams will hate to play against these guys.

Reactions: MangoX

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
You’re fortunate then, the PWHL has a franchise in Mtl. & they don’t allow fighting, it’s fine. lol.

The QMJHL leadership also has their knickers in a knot over fisticuffs…….as a season ticket holder I can tell you there’s an increase in dirty stick work & false courage, knowing they don’t have to back anything up…..since they’ve outlawed fighting. I guess it comes down to what style you like more C. Lemieux/Lapierre or A Xhekaj/C Nilan
Cheers
I'd rather watch paint dry than watch the PWHL again.

• Haha
Reactions: BJCOLLINS and 417

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
I hate those hits I always have and I always will.
An obvious blindside check needs to be called a major every time it should be in the rule book five and a game no exceptions.
When any major penalty is not properly enforced the refs lose control. I've seen it over and over and over again.
Obvious blindside? He's skating towards the offensive zone with two defenseman there. It's not like Xhekaj appeared out of thin air beside him. If any player can turn or look away before a hit then what's the answer? If you're skating towards the offensive zone, you should be expecting to get hit.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Ask yourself why susuky cest le capitain bon petit gars qui prend pas trop de place qui jamais va se souler la geule... ,des bon petit gars de chez nous qui vont jamais oser fourer Chantal

Lmao don't day drink kids.

Translation; we need 20 drunk motherf***ers on this team 😤

1000008635.jpg

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Obvious blindside? He's skating towards the offensive zone with two defenseman there. It's not like Xhekaj appeared out of thin air beside him. If any player can turn or look away before a hit then what's the answer? If you're skating towards the offensive zone, you should be expecting to get hit.
You are misinterpreting what I wrote.
For me the blindside was Greig's hit not Xhekaj's.
That should have been the five and a game a late hit from the side and his hands were high the intent was evident.

Get that call right and everything that followed could have been avoided.

ChuckDemersNorris

Feb 11, 2024
  • Haha
Reactions: Team_Spirit

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Florida was 2nd in penalty minutes in the whole league. You need that toughness and other teams have to be affraid of you, if you want to win. Arber, Struble, Slaf, Dach, Pezzetta bring that. I think Guhle will bring that as well in upcoming seasons. Beck can be physical, along with Tuch, Florian and Thorpe when it comes to our prospect pool. Teams will hate to play against these guys.
Ducks were 1st in penalty minutes in the whole league. Not sure how much we can draw from that stat alone

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
There's definitely some differences of opinion on Xhekaj in the media, but I've noticed the following:

-- A lot of Habs reporters/journalists are in fact backing Xhekaj's actions. Not just one, but many.

-- Habs social media account has gone out of its way to feature Xhekaj in the last 48h (photo of him on the ice with "patrolling" caption, and today at Mont-Tremblant next to Dach).

-- Teammates and coach 100% have his back.

So, the divide is between quite a large segment of journalists + habs management + team, and some institutionalist journalists (bettman asslickers) and journalists who are "asking questions" without bothering to answer questions (tony, gallo, etc).

I would say Xhekaj is quite safe at the moment despite some supposed twitterati scrutiny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad