Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
True . We have 20m$ unused. Cant see a team risking to sign Xhekaj to an offer while we have plenty of money to match. We saw the consequence with Aho/KK.
I doubt he would be that wanted. You are right when a team sees another team with ample cap space they would assume that the team would match. The only scenario would be spite similar with what Dundon did with Kotkaniemi

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yeah no way I trade Arber for a late first. Would only think about it in a package for a McGroarty/Zegras/Necas

No point in doing that now, if we were forced to take a defenseman at 5, maybe you go that direction.

But now we have Demidov-Suzuki-Caufield-Dach-Slafkovsky-Newhook-Roy. I'm not desperate to get rid of a very valuable playoff style defenseman to get the Zegras and Necas' of the world and the contracts that will come with them. They become the 6th option up front.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Nothing more irritating than all the talks about trading Xhekaj.

Unless there's something really f***ed up going on, never trade this guy.

Whatever they offer for him, we don't need.

Having a top pugilist who can play will be invaluable in our window.
Well you hope the shoulder surgery was a success because the guy that ragdolled Kassian was not the guy we saw last year. Either he was completely uninterested in fighting or he didn’t win.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Well you hope the shoulder surgery was a success because the guy that ragdolled Kassian was not the guy we saw last year. Either he was completely uninterested in fighting or he didn’t win.
He focused on other areas of his game. It was much needed and he looked better, after his AHL stint at least.

Ragdolling Kassian, while fun, isn't the point of this game. It doesn't matter that he didn't fight all the time. He needs to be on the ice to improve his hockey skills.

Reactions: quarter450

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He focused on other areas of his game. It was much needed and he looked better, after his AHL stint at least.

Ragdolling Kassian, while fun, isn't the point of this game. It doesn't matter that he didn't fight all the time. He needs to be on the ice to improve his hockey skills.
I agree. Fighting it stupid. But as long as it’s part of the game, I prefer having the meanest guy around.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I agree. Fighting it stupid. But as long as it’s part of the game, I prefer having the meanest guy around.
Yeah it is a part of his game that I appreciate, but it is especially meaningful if he is also a good hockey player. I like that he improved his discipline in the later part of the season and focused on his hockey instead of boxing.

Xhekaj is still the meanest guy around even if he doesn't fight every game anymore.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
But I don't want to trade him. Even if a team offer 1st round pick. I'm a big believer of him. I would keep him easily over all names you said.

YUP! Xhekaj is a keeper. Top 4D physical potential and his puck moving is not terrible. Mobility for a guy his size is well above average.

I really like the Mailloux/Xhekaj pairing.

I'm sure that was a discussion with MSL and Hughes. Fighting is nice when it's required but can't be his sole focus. Got to focus on what it takes to reach top 4D and be a physical presence. Fighting is secondary.

Reactions: dralaf

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
YUP! Xhekaj is a keeper. Top 4D physical potential and his puck moving is not terrible. Mobility for a guy his size is well above average.

I really like the Mailloux/Xhekaj pairing.

I'm sure that was a discussion with MSL and Hughes. Fighting is nice when it's required but can't be his sole focus. Got to focus on what it takes to reach top 4D and be a physical presence. Fighting is secondary.
Especially when you have a guy who can contribute in other areas. Do people really want key players breaking a hand on someone’s helmet and missing 6 weeks? Look what happened to Arber with his shoulder. I’m up for a good fight, but some people are a little too bloodthirsty.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Xhekaj is the kind of guy you only trade in a package for an elite player.

I definately wouldn't trade him for a potential top 6 player or a 1st round.

The thing is though. If fans are afraid of Guhle's injuries, they should be even more worried about Xhekaj's.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Xhekaj is the kind of guy you only trade in a package for an elite player.

I definately wouldn't trade him for a potential top 6 player or a 1st round.

The thing is though. If fans are afraid of Guhle's injuries, they should be even more worried about Xhekaj's.

Agreed. We need our D to mature because we are riding some guys hard due to the youth and lack of maturity. Savard is gone next year so this is a big year for Guhle, Xhekaj, Barron, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Hutson. They are all at different spots but one more year of maturity helps.

Xhekaj is a good one. Might take a while before he matures and is a trusted top 4D though. I like his potential but I see modest growth season/season and look how long it took for someone like Zadorov to mature.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Agreed. We need our D to mature because we are riding some guys hard due to the youth and lack of maturity. Savard is gone next year so this is a big year for Guhle, Xhekaj, Barron, Mailloux, Reinbacher, Hutson. They are all at different spots but one more year of maturity helps.

Xhekaj is a good one. Might take a while before he matures and is a trusted top 4D though. I like his potential but I see modest growth season/season and look how long it took for someone like Zadorov to mature.
While Xhekaj is a very tough player I would try and add some toughness on the 4th line. Arber is developing into a good player and you don't want Dmen fighting all that much, they are needed on the ice.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
While Xhekaj is a very tough player I would try and add some toughness on the 4th line. Arber is developing into a good player and you don't want Dmen fighting all that much, they are needed on the ice.

At some point in the future yes. Today with all the vets we have in the bottom 6? NO. Clutters it up too much. Fighting is cheap and it doesn't really stop players from hitting guys hard. It's nice to watch but overrated.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Yeah it is a part of his game that I appreciate, but it is especially meaningful if he is also a good hockey player. I like that he improved his discipline in the later part of the season and focused on his hockey instead of boxing.

Xhekaj is still the meanest guy around even if he doesn't fight every game anymore.
There was a game last year where Evans took a cheap shot and Arber was on the ice and didn’t respond. He’s not the meanest.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
At some point in the future yes. Today with all the vets we have in the bottom 6? NO. Clutters it up too much. Fighting is cheap and it doesn't really stop players from hitting guys hard. It's nice to watch but overrated.
You are not wrong but myself I want to see Xhekaj concentrate on hockey. Some teams still employ goons which is hard to comprehend

Reactions: The Real Timo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad