Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Can’t wait for the season to start so that when Xhekaj starts crushing opponents in the boards , people will remember why he’s one of our most important players and stop with this nonsense trade/lowball contract talk.

Reactions: SnapVirus

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He is such a underrated player OMG. He is going to be a stud top 4 D to me. He have everything.

Bold statements will get laughed at but he's on track to be the next Chara style type player. Yes, I know how it sounds and I know the probability.

* Very Big, Strong, and mobile. Plays nasty and looks for physical confrontation
* Can fight
* Strong shots from the point
* Decent all around game

Probably won't have the top end value Chara had but I see lots of parallels in their style of play.

I hope we pair Xhekaj and Mailloux together next year.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I like Xhekaj, but I don't think I've seen a player whose hype far outweighs his accomplishments quite like he has.

I'm rooting for him, he's got a unique profile, but I still think he's very rough around the edges and i'm not sure how much more growth there is in this player.

I get the "Chara style type player" comment you made @Habs Halifax , is not a direct comparison and more of a stylistic one. But he's got a long way to go for even that.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I'd give him a $3-$3.5M for 5 years on his next contract if he'd take it.

Could be a huge steal and you'll always have a team willing to take on that type of player at that price. win/win.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd give him a $3-$3.5M for 5 years on his next contract if he'd take it.

Could be a huge steal and you'll always have a team willing to take on that type of player at that price. win/win.

I smell bridge deal big time. 2 years at $1.5M or $1.75M. Harris got 2 years at $1.4M.

If they go 5+, it's a gullible marriage where both sides want each other now and to get it over with. I don't see Gorton/Hughes reaching on the long term bloated deal though. Your $3M-$3.5M for 5 is basically max point I would say (AAV range anyways).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He hasn't earned it to this point and it would be reckless for an organization to give it to him...imo

5x $3M-$3.5M range would not be reckless IMO. 8x $5M would be though

It all comes down to if you believe he is a very good top 4D moving forward or not. If you believe it, you definitely do the 5x $3M-$3.5M contract (if Xhekaj likes that as well)

However, I smell bridge deal. 2x $1.75M. Something like that. A little inflation add to Harris's bridge.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Bold statements will get laughed at but he's on track to be the next Chara style type player. Yes, I know how it sounds and I know the probability.

* Very Big, Strong, and mobile. Plays nasty and looks for physical confrontation
* Can fight
* Decent all around game

Probably won't have the top end value Chara had but I see lots of parallels in their style of play.

Sorry but that's an insane comparison.

Chara was such a unique player with his combination of size, strength, coordination, awareness, leadership, competitiveness that there simply are no "Chara style type" players. There are plenty of 6'3"-6'4" defensemen who play a physical brand of hockey and can fight that would make for more reasonable comparisons.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sorry but that's an insane comparison.

Chara was such a unique player with his combination of size, strength, coordination, awareness, leadership, competitiveness that there simply are no "Chara style type" players. There are plenty of 6'3"-6'4" defensemen who play a physical brand of hockey and can fight that would make for more reasonable comparisons.

In terms of style, it's fair. It terms of NHL career and accomplishments, it's a reach. Let see how it ages. Chara was not that special after his 1st two seasons. Where does Xhekaj top out at? Your guess is as good as mine. But when I look at Chara after his 1st two seasons, it fits.

I know how it looks. Bold statements like do get attacked and I get that angle. However, making cheap predictions doesn't get you any credit either.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I like Xhekaj and his unique combination of skills and presence that he brings to our lineup, but I think he still has to take a step in his game before he can reliably handle minutes on a highly competitive playoff team. He's been insulated by the coaches because opposing teams top six players seem to be able to exploit his positional weaknesses with relatively high frequency.

There's definitely still time and opportunity for him to grow his game and he has the tools to do it. Defencemen like him can take quite a while to reach their full potential. Now that he has two partial seasons with the club under his belt, I'll be looking for him to take a step this season and really nail down a regular spot in the lineup without having to be insulated so much by the coaches.

Reactions: Archijerej

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada

* Can fight
* Decent all around game

Lmaoo and Harris is the next Niedermayer, Kidney is the next MSL and Roy is gonna turn into Tavares. Got anymore of the stuff you're smoking?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lmaoo and Harris is the next Niedermayer, Kidney is the next MSL and Roy is gonna turn into Tavares. Got anymore of the stuff you're smoking?

Exaggerating in a belittle way. Talk to me when you want to have a respectful conversation and also comprehend the conversation well. I loose respect for posters who do the LMAO and what are you smoking narratives. Spend the same energy to comprehend it as you are belittling it. I know you can if you try.

When I look at Chara's first two seasons, I see some parallels with Xhekaj's first two seasons. More about style. When comparing style in the 1st two seasons, it's fair. When comparing to Chara's entire career and accomplishments, it's a reach. Are you able to comprehend this? That's up to you but I won't be surprised if you try to dig a line in the sand and debate something with a spin :sarcasm:

Some posters need to chill with absolute player comparisons. It's usually never presented that way. and anybody with a brain knows no two players will be a like. I stand by what I said and I'm looking at Chara's first few seasons. You're looking at his entire career.

Last edited:
Reactions: rickthegoon

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Exaggerating in a belittle way. Talk to me when you want to have a respectful conversation and also comprehend the conversation well. I loose respect for posters who do the LMAO and what are you smoking narratives. Spend the same energy to comprehend it as you are belittling it. I know you can if you try.

When I look at Chara's first two seasons, I see some parallels with Xhekaj's first two seasons. More about style. When comparing style in the 1st two seasons, it's fair. When comparing to Chara's entire career and accomplishments, it's a reach. Are you able to comprehend this? That's up to you but I won't be surprised if you try to dig a line in the sand and debate something with a spin :sarcasm:

Some posters need to chill with absolute player comparisons. It's usually never presented that way. and anybody with a brain knows no two players will be a like. I stand by what I said and I'm looking at Chara's first few seasons. You're looking at his entire career.
Funny you guys weren't singing that same song back when I was getting borderline harassed for my opinion on Xhekaj. And you can also compare Xhekaj's first few seasons and body to Cody Franson (he was a bit older but you could argue Xhekaj wouldn't have made Nashville's excellent D core at the time as a 20-21 y-o). Impossible to compare stuff like this using the 100th percentile outcome.

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
I like Xhekaj and his unique combination of skills and presence that he brings to our lineup, but I think he still has to take a step in his game before he can reliably handle minutes on a highly competitive playoff team. He's been insulated by the coaches because opposing teams top six players seem to be able to exploit his positional weaknesses with relatively high frequency.

There's definitely still time and opportunity for him to grow his game and he has the tools to do it. Defencemen like him can take quite a while to reach their full potential. Now that he has two partial seasons with the club under his belt, I'll be looking for him to take a step this season and really nail down a regular spot in the lineup without having to be insulated so much by the coaches.
I think playoff team is the key word here.

Anyone watching the playoffs right now? Its insane how big players that are otherwise useless in the normal season can become MVP, while smaller players just disappear.

Lane Hutson is going to be fun to watch during the season, but Xhekaj and Mailloux are more likely to have an impact once the playoffs starts.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
In terms of style, it's fair. It terms of NHL career and accomplishments, it's a reach. Let see how it ages. Chara was not that special after his 1st two seasons. Where does Xhekaj top out at? Your guess is as good as mine. But when I look at Chara after his 1st two seasons, it fits.

I know how it looks. Bold statements like do get attacked and I get that angle. However, making cheap predictions doesn't get you any credit either.
Not even close. There has literally never been a player in the history of the NHL with Chara's combination of size/length/athleticism. Chara is bigger than Xhekaj in the same proportion as Xhekaj is bigger than Newhook. They are orders of magnitude different players, in style and career accomplishments.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
He is such a underrated player OMG. He is going to be a stud top 4 D to me. He have everything.
I wouldn’t say underrated. Apparently most teams have been calling about him.

I remember Chara looking incredibly awkward and really not that good. I was thinking at the time “this guy won’t be around long”. I don’t see the comparison. Arber looks a lot more confident than Chara did in his early days imo.

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
it's funny that a guy so many people here hate, is the one guy other GM's from other teams are asking for when they call. But you know, keep hanging on to the waiver wire pickups and the gutless smurfs on the backend like they are cornerstones to the rebuild lol. Jordan Harris RULEZ and is UnTucHaBlez !!!!

Reactions: Redux91

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I remember Chara looking incredibly awkward and really not that good. I was thinking at the time “this guy won’t be around long”. I don’t see the comparison. Arber looks a lot more confident than Chara did in his early days imo.

I remember this as well. The other angle I am surprised nobody "nit picked" is Chara started at age 19 and Xhekaj started at age 20/21. It's fair to some degree to say Xhekaj looked better right out of the gate.

The comparison I see is that nasty side for big guys. Very intimidating and I'm very curious to see what kind of player Xkekaj is once he matures. Players mature at different rates so it really is hard to compare it exactly at the same age time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not even close. There has literally never been a player in the history of the NHL with Chara's combination of size/length/athleticism. Chara is bigger than Xhekaj in the same proportion as Xhekaj is bigger than Newhook. They are orders of magnitude different players, in style and career accomplishments.

Once again. You're looking at Chara's career and overall accomplishments and not his first few seasons like Xhekaj. Chara broke out with his last season with the Sens and then with the Bruins after they signed him. It's not probable Xhekaj breaks out like this because it's rare but I can see him being a very nasty top 4D.

It's more about a style than an exact career comparison bud. In terms of bringing the nasty side and being very intimidating (also can fight), there are things to compare. What Xhekaj has and can possibly provide is not readily available. These are rare attributes like Chara had.

Who would you rather compare Xhekaj to? Chiarot? That make you more happy. The safter boring conversation. lol

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Funny you guys weren't singing that same song back when I was getting borderline harassed for my opinion on Xhekaj. And you can also compare Xhekaj's first few seasons and body to Cody Franson (he was a bit older but you could argue Xhekaj wouldn't have made Nashville's excellent D core at the time as a 20-21 y-o). Impossible to compare stuff like this using the 100th percentile outcome.

It's only a derail type conversation when fans spend their energy to nit pick and try to compare using the 100th percentile approach. I stand firm on what I said. There are several attributes to compare and they are rare types. Big nasty mobile guys who have good shots and can not only fight but make you look like a rag doll. Very Intimidating and guys you don't want to mess around with.

I think Xhekaj can provide lots of value for us in terms of being a shut down type and it's not a H Lindholm or Brodin style shutdown. It's more around the Chara style shutdown.

Gaud

May 11, 2017

* Can fight
* Decent all around game

I dont know about comparing him to Chara (i dont see an upside for him for first pairing) and to be honest, if i remove the physicality, i dont see a "decent all around game". If the guy continues to develop his D and pick his moments to take penalties or fights, then maybe?

However, I dont see Xhekaj being an OFD, though he has a good slapper. So he can hope to become a shutdown D - my question is; how useful is a DFD if he is the one getting penalties? I feel that having a goon there kind of defeats the purpose.

I am a fan, but im not anywhere as excited about Wifi's current game as most people seem to be. I certainly dont see him as untouchable

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I dont know about comparing him to Chara (i dont see an upside for him for first pairing) and to be honest, if i remove the physicality, i dont see a "decent all around game". If the guy continues to develop his D and pick his moments to take penalties or fights, then maybe?

However, I dont see Xhekaj being an OFD, though he has a good slapper. So he can hope to become a shutdown D - my question is; how useful is a DFD if he is the one getting penalties? I feel that having a goon there kind of defeats the purpose.

I am a fan, but im not anywhere as excited about Wifi's current game as most people seem to be. I certainly dont see him as untouchable

Do you remember Chara's flaws from his Islander days and first season with the Sens? That was 4 total seasons and Xhekaj has played 2. There is reason to believe Xhekaj will improve and develop more right? Probably not going to have the career Chara had but you should get the point.

Player comparisons are touchy on HF boards. Way too much energy trying to compare 1/1 exactly. I think it fits in terms of style and how Xhekaj can be intimidating. Once he is fully matured and got the right amount of experience, he is going to be a force! Would you prefer to compare Xhekaj to Tinordi? Safe low prediction but cheap talk?

Xhekaj is not untouchable but he shouldn't be shopped either. If teams want to call, let them but we are not trading him for low value. He's got rare attributes you just can't find that easily and he is not done developing/maturing. Letting go of an asset like this for cheap can back fire on you. And there has been multiple reports of teams calling Hughes for him. That tells us something

I really like the Xhekaj / Mailloux pairing.

Last edited:

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
it's funny that a guy so many people here hate, is the one guy other GM's from other teams are asking for when they call. But you know, keep hanging on to the waiver wire pickups and the gutless smurfs on the backend like they are cornerstones to the rebuild lol. Jordan Harris RULEZ and is UnTucHaBlez !!!!
Nobody I've ever met hates Jackeye.... even on here nobody doesn't like the kid lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad