Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Why are we talking about 8 years lol. And Arber and his agent aren't dumb , his playstyle + the fact he plays D is an instant 4-5 mill on the UFA market by cro magnon gms. I get trying to fleece the kid on a sweetheart deal but I don't see it happening. He will get bridged and get paid as a UFA if he is smart.

Its actually kind of concerning if he accepts a low ball long term offer , it would tell me he's not confident with his injuries or that he thinks he won't improve , hence taking the long term security right now

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Xhekaj hasn't even established himself as an every game NHL Dman yet....why is anyone talking about an 8 year deal?

He's going to get a standard 2 year bridge deal with a low AAV because he hasn't proved shit yet and being a fan favourite only goes so far in negotiations.

Reactions: Naslundforever

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Xhekaj hasn't even established himself as an every game NHL Dman yet....why is anyone talking about an 8 year deal?

He's going to get a standard 2 year bridge deal with a low AAV because he hasn't proved shit yet and being a fan favourite only goes so far in negotiations.
Only reason 8 years is being brought up is because they want a Nick Paul type thing with a ridiculously cheap cap hit for a long time
Like pulling a fast one kind of, don't see Arbers camp going for it, as much as we'd like it

I'm more baffled people think he's getting 2+Mill right away..?
And I'm a huge supporter/fan of his
But Habs unfortunately have all the leverage here with the abundance of D and Xhekaj not even really 'established' himself yet seeing as how he had to AHL it up for a little bit there

I don't think the bridge deal touches 2mill per at all honestly
Maybe 1.7 or something, maybe

Reactions: BLONG7

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Only reason 8 years is being brought up is because they want a Nick Paul type thing with a ridiculously cheap cap hit for a long time
Like pulling a fast one kind of, don't see Arbers camp going for it, as much as we'd like it
Thing is, Nick Paul had some track record before he signed that 8 year deal. \

Xhekaj does not.

As you just wrote, there's now way he and his agent would sign an 8 year deal today unless the Habs for some reason are willing to overpay.

And conversely, the Montreal Canadiens I don' think would have an appetite to sign a guy who again, hasn't established himself as a regular Dman, for 8 years and that's not even talking about the injury concerns.
But Habs unfortunately have all the leverage here with the abundance of D and Xhekaj not even really 'established' himself yet seeing as how he had to AHL it up for a little bit there

100% agreed.

Reactions: Redux91

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
A 8 years contract with Xhekaj will likely never make sense.

I think the 2 year bridge makes the most sense.

But if we could get him on a good deal long term I'd do it. In reality he will likely do a 2-3 year bridge followed by 4-5 year contracts for most of his career

Reactions: LaP

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Hughes loves to drive the leverage bus.............seems to live for it in fact.
A 2 year deal and maybe a 3rd year but that will be it.......I do also think it will be sub 2M but I am never right on the money.......I do have faith in Hughes doing the right thing here.
The kid is a good young player, with lots to learn........a fan fave and a team favorite, and love to see the kid defend his team mates...

Reactions: Redux91

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Very few people are thinking an 8 year deal.
More than likely a 2-3 year show me type of deal.
His health can be used as a cautious approach and the deal would work for the kid and the team.
Some are but you have to accept that there are idiots everywhere.:nod:

Gaud

May 11, 2017
i dont understand how knowledgeable habs fan can watch these playoffs and think it would be a good idea to trade Xhekaj!! Its a bloodbath out there!! freaking Zadarov was one of the Canucks most important player!! Xhekaj is gonna be a huge part of the team success come playoff time!!

I dont think anyone is saying the playoffs are not physical. Also, no one is saying we should get rid of Xhekaj but acquire no one at all who can be physical.

I like Xhekaj; he is physical, can fight, makes big hits that raise the crowd. He also seems to have a hell of a slapshot, but we dont see that often. I like his attitude.

My question on Xhekaj is "take the physicality away, what can he do?" - if the answer is nothing big, or "meh", then i question what makes him untouchable to some fans in the first place. If all he offers you is fists and pain, then he wont be getting icetime when you need to protect a lead or catch up; how can a 3rd pairing D be untouchable?

If this is how the habs see him, i definitely support the Habs trading him as i believe the hype will get us an overpayment and we have a lot of D talent. Get a Delaurier type on the fourth line if you feel your team needs fists for protection.

However, the guy is still young and has very little pro experience. If we can make him into a serviceable DFD that can take on defensive missions reliably without putting himself in the box unnecessarily, great! I certainly dont see the coach putting him in these situations now.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Zadorov makes $3.75 and is an established D man

Gudas makes $4 and was/is an established D man.

Arber has done nothing in the league yet. Great kid, works hard and I hope he turns out for us. Until he does, he's a project.
Gudas signed that contract at the end of his career.

Zadorov rumors are he is looking for 6-6.5M$ this summer.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Gudas signed that contract at the end of his career.

Zadorov rumors are he is looking for 6-6.5M$ this summer.

RE: gudas latest contract, it's still the biggest cap % of his career at 4.79%.

Zadorov is like 29 and at peak value for any team wanting to win a cup now. He has 58 playoff games under his belt. I'm Xhekaj's biggest fan but you can't compare them. Yet.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
RE: gudas latest contract, it's still the biggest cap % of his career at 4.79%.

Zadorov is like 29 and at peak value for any team wanting to win a cup. He has 58 playoff games under his belt. I'm Xhekaj's biggest fan but you can't compare them. Yet.
Yet is right

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
I'm hoping for the later in his career offensive explosion ala our handsome old boy Sheldon Souray. Have we had a cooler player in a Habs jersey since Sheldon? Arber is about the only guy that could challenge for it.

Nothing beats the combo of good looks and pugilism. Add offense.... /swoon

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
First thing I will say is this is a crazy comparison yes, but chill with the "got cha" game. I do see some parallels

Chara vs Xhekaj.
* Similar height/weight. Chara a bit bigger
* Similar physical/intimidating presence
* Similar skating/mobility for big guys
* Two players you don't want to fight.
* Similar shot from the point but Chara had that monster slap shot (in his prime). Xhekaj does have a good shot and not sure how much he will improve it.
* Similar back/forth development at the beginning of the NHL career

Remember, Chara took 7 years to get to this prime (age 19-26) with the Islanders and Sens. Go look up his resume from age 19-26. Then compare that to Xhekaj from 20-23.

Not saying Xhekaj turns into Chara exactly but man, the physical and intimidating presence in the D zone can be similar. Pretty sure the potential is why several GM's are calling us about Xhekaj. They want to buy low before he potentially breaks out.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
First thing I will say is this is a crazy comparison yes, but chill with the "got cha" game. I do see some parallels

Chara vs Xhekaj.
* Similar shot from the point but Chara had that monster slap shot (in his prime). Xhekaj does have a good shot and not sure how much he will improve it.

Remember, Chara took 7 years to get to this prime (age 19-26) with the Islanders and Sens. Go look up his resume from age 19-26. Then compare that to Xhekaj from 20-23.

Not saying Xhekaj turns into Chara exactly but man, the physical and intimidating presence in the D zone can be similar. Pretty sure the potential is why several GM's are calling us about Xhekaj. They want to buy low before he potentially breaks out.
I sure hope they don't trade him......he is a project of sorts, but we all need to be patient and to your point, the potential is there, to become a force.

That said, if someone wants to overpay then it warrants some consideration.....but I hope we are not like the Sens, and let him slip away like they did with Chara. Again, not saying he will become that player, but there are a ton of similarities.
Hughes is a smart dude, who seems to know what he is doing.....Gorton looking over his shoulder is a good thing also.

The boys love trying to steal the show on draft day so................

Chara vs Xhekaj.

I sure hope they don't trade him......he is a project of sorts, but we all need to be patient and to your point, the potential is there, to become a force.

That said, if someone wants to overpay then it warrants some consideration.....but I hope we are not like the Sens, and let him slip away like they did with Chara. Again, not saying he will become that player, but there are a ton of similarities.
Hughes is a smart dude, who seems to know what he is doing.....Gorton looking over his shoulder is a good thing also.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I don't think they will trade him very easily. I read somewhere this past week that the Flames called and whoever reported it, said it better start with their 9th OA pick.

Reactions: BLONG7

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Chara vs Xhekaj.

Chara was a freak.... hard to find a comparable to him.

A closer comparison might be a former Hab. Sheldon Souray. I doubt he will be as good offensively but I think he has a bomb, nonetheless.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016

Chara vs Xhekaj.

This is like comparing David Desharnais and Martin St. Louis based on their first couple seasons.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad