Confirmed with Link: Arber Xhekaj Signed 2 years @ 1.3 AAV

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Good signing but thought Canadiens might lock him long term with others. Keep core group together. As Been reports multiple teams were calling about Wifi this summer and Habs said he's not available. Sounds like he's in long term plans.

Reactions: Kimota

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Good signing but thought Canadiens might lock him long term with others. Keep core group together. As Been reports multiple teams were calling about Wifi this summer and Habs said he's not available. Sounds like he's in long term plans.

He's had 2 blown shoulders.

2 years, to show us what you got and ensure the blown out shoulders aren't an issue.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
With Guhle signed to a significant deal it should give Arber and Justin some hard perspective about where they stand with the organization. I mean, both were signed to the cheapest show-me deals that their agents would accept and the time is now for both to get it together.

It also makes one or both of them prime candidates to be traded which should light a fire under both. Arber must clean up the bad penalties or else he's gone. In my opinion it would be a big mistake to trade him but I have an attachment to this style of NHLer so it clouds my view of his warts I guess.
Yeah Arber just needs to stop taking the chintzy penalties.
I pointed out last season that when he nullifies a couple of players in scrums the Refs appreciate it.
This will eventually lead to him copping more breaks on calls like the good vets get.
Half of the penalties he took in the corners and in front of the net were never called against Weber.
I've said it more than once I can live with the hard two minutes like clocking someone with his gauntlets on when necessary.
Smart vets do it all the time sending a clear message without having to sit for five.
The triple H's are what I can't stand from any player. Hooking holding and high sticking.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He's had 2 blown shoulders.

2 years, to show us what you got and ensure the blown out shoulders aren't an issue.
Hughes as to have injury worry there. Otherwise you'll think he would locked Wifi long term. While he can get him cheap. Bridge contracts don't work out on core players.

If I was opposing GM I would have offer sheeted Wifi. I'd give up late first to gamble on Wifi. Odds are Wifi be better player than 30th pick in draft. Looking at 6 million Hughes would had to swallowed hard. Good chance I would have got him

• Haha
Reactions: rahad

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I pointed out last season that when he nullifies a couple of players in scrums the Refs appreciate it.
This will eventually lead to him copping more breaks on calls like the good vets get.
Half of the penalties he took in the corners and in front of the net were never called against Weber.
I've said it more than once I can live with the hard two minutes like clocking someone with his gauntlets on when necessary.
Smart vets do it all the time sending a clear message without having to sit for five.
The triple H's are what I can't stand from any player. Hooking holding and high sticking.
All excellent points and I want to add that when I watched Arber last season, I felt he got in trouble when he wasn't moving his feet or having the instinct to realize how fast his opponent was. This is nothing new for bigger players, especially younger guys getting used to the speed of the NHL. He is a good skater but like other heavier players, it takes longer to move a bigger frame hence the reason he gets penalized for stick work.

Because he is young and surrounded by competition who are fighting for his spot, he will not have the luxury of continuing these bad habits. It would have been better for him to try and drop 10-15 pounds and get a little quicker as a means of being more effective. MSL is not going to keep him in the lineup because he can KO guys, he has to be able to play.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Hughes as to have injury worry there. Otherwise you'll think he would locked Wifi long term. While he can get him cheap. Bridge contracts don't work out on core players.

If I was opposing GM I would have offer sheeted Wifi. I'd give up late first to gamble on Wifi. Odds are Wifi be better player than 30th pick in draft. Looking at 6 million Hughes would had to swallowed hard. Good chance I would have got him
If they were having any issues getting through to him they sent him a hard message with this contract. He has to be better or he's gone. He is a fan fav but we have to trust the instincts of management and the coaching staff because they see what we don't. I want to see him be a hab for many years but he needs to get better and sadly he won't be afforded the leniency given to a first-round pick, he has to always prove himself.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017

He will need to play hard game if he’s effective. Penalties are the outcome but he needs to choose which plays are worth a penalty and which are not. I would not change Xhekaj into some defenseman he’s not, takes away that 6’4” 230lbs monster.

Example, if someone hits him, he doesn’t need to retaliate.
If someone hits Hutson, then yes go all out crazy.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013

Other GM have enough work with their own depth chart, salary cap. Personnally, I wouldnt want to see Hugues offer sheeted a 5/6th dman of another team. This kind of mismanagement could come back haunt us someday

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal

Giving 6m to a #5-6 defenseman is beyond absurd..... The ''opposing GM'' need to get fired, if he believe Arber is worth 6m.

Seriously, Arber is slowly starting to become our new ''Mike Komisarek''.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Giving 6m to a #5-6 defenseman is beyond absurd..... The ''opposing GM'' need to get fired, if he believe Arber is worth 6m.

I have no idea what it means that you claim Arber is starting to become our "Mike Komisarek"

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
All excellent points and I want to add that when I watched Arber last season, I felt he got in trouble when he wasn't moving his feet or having the instinct to realize how fast his opponent was. This is nothing new for bigger players, especially younger guys getting used to the speed of the NHL. He is a good skater but like other heavier players, it takes longer to move a bigger frame hence the reason he gets penalized for stick work.

Because he is young and surrounded by competition who are fighting for his spot, he will not have the luxury of continuing these bad habits. It would have been better for him to try and drop 10-15 pounds and get a little quicker as a means of being more effective. MSL is not going to keep him in the lineup because he can KO guys, he has to be able to play.
Yup, behind the play and out of position leads to his minor penalties not his toughness save a few instigator penalties. Needs to build a solid D game.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

You would have gotten Xhekaj for a first and then entered cap hell. A GM giving 6 millions to Xhekaj should be fired the next day. Even if he reaches his ceiling+++ 6 millions will still be too much money,

Last edited:

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
An undrafted player who missed an entire season of hockey during covid is most assuredly not done developing.
He will always have to do more because of that. We have all seen multiple first and second-round flops get 200-plus games in the league because they were scouted to be more and teams hope that the player will eventually justify the reason they were highly touted.

I believe he will have a solid NHL career and I hope it's with the Canadiens because I would hate to see him end up with some other Eastern team with a chip on his shoulder.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
An undrafted player who missed an entire season of hockey during covid is most assuredly not done developing.
For sure. I like how he moves for a big man and has nerves of steel so It feels like good coaching and ice time would do it.

Reactions: Tyson

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012

Komisarek????? Are you serious??
Xhekaj is WAYYYYY ahead in every department.
Better skater, better shot, better offensive IQ, meaner and tougher.
I’m not saying he’s locked in as a top 4 defender; 5th or 6th is more realistic.
Like someone posted earlier, veterans get away with most of his penalties. Looking back at our last playoff run, Weber, Chiarot and Edmundon were brutal with their late hits and cross checks, but as veterans, they were getting away with it.
Next time we make the playoffs, I look forward to seeing Xhekaj defend our zone.
Please !!!!!! Don’t mention Komisarek ever again when talking about Xhekaj.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
If we trade him we are one lol.
The old regime would have held press conferences bragging they turned a walk on into a 1st…...HuGo are aware it’s not wise to trade away that which every team wants & needs, especially in the playoffs. The Habs will be competing when AX is in his prime! IMHO, Xhekaj has the potential to be special. That’s not a stretch since he’s already a unicorn who’s tuff as nails and can skate very well for a kid 6’4” 240. Oh yeah he can bomb it 100mph! Lots of awkward learning for the kid but he seems to take the coaching well…… make no mistake he has lots of tools that can’t be taught.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The old regime would have held press conferences bragging they turned a walk on into a 1st…...HuGo are aware it’s not wise to trade away that which every team wants & needs, especially in the playoffs. The Habs will be competing when AX is in his prime! IMHO, Xhekaj has the potential to be special. That’s not a stretch since he’s already a unicorn who’s tuff as nails and can skate very well for a kid 6’4” 240. Oh yeah he can bomb it 100mph! Lots of awkward learning for the kid but he seems to take the coaching well…… make no mistake he has lots of tools that can’t be taught.
Former Hab Sheldon Souray is a good comparable to Xhekaj. Big and mean with a hard shot but he was in the NHL for 5 years before he was able to make a solid offensive contribution. It takes longer for defensemen to come into their own.

I agree that he would be so valuable on a competitive team, especially in the playoffs, someone will need to do the dirty work of protecting Suzuki, CC, Slaf and Demidov and he's the only one that we have that opposing players are worried about.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Former Hab Sheldon Souray is a good comparable to Xhekaj. Big and mean with a hard shot but he was in the NHL for 5 years before he was able to make a solid offensive contribution. It takes longer for defensemen to come into their own.

I agree that he would be so valuable on a competitive team, especially in the playoffs, someone will need to do the dirty work of protecting Suzuki, CC, Slaf and Demidov and he's the only one that we have that opposing players are worried about.
I had the pleasure of speaking one on one with Sheldon many years ago. He was one of the most down to earth athletes I ever met. Just a good guy.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

He will likely have Flojack as a tag team partner as early as next season.
I'm fairly convinced his progression will be along the same lines as Arber.
Not to mention it's a heck of a lot easier to graduate as a forward at his age.
Particularly given how soft our bottom is... pun intended.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Komisarek????? Are you serious??
Xhekaj is WAYYYYY ahead in every department.
Better skater, better shot, better offensive IQ, meaner and tougher.
I’m not saying he’s locked in as a top 4 defender; 5th or 6th is more realistic.
Like someone posted earlier, veterans get away with most of his penalties. Looking back at our last playoff run, Weber, Chiarot and Edmundon were brutal with their late hits and cross checks, but as veterans, they were getting away with it.
Next time we make the playoffs, I look forward to seeing Xhekaj defend our zone.
Please !!!!!! Don’t mention Komisarek ever again when talking about Xhekaj.
Komisarek was still better defensively than Xhekaj. He was playing a lot of minutes with Markov facing top line. I wouldnt want to see a pair /Matheson/Xhekaj right now. And this is not because I dislike Xhekaj. But, in Montreal, Komisarek had great timing to hit everybody into the D zone ans close the play rapidly. Xhekaj, this not always easy in his own zone

Reactions: rahad

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I had the pleasure of speaking one on one with Sheldon many years ago. He was one of the most down to earth athletes I ever met. Just a good guy.
My wife and I met him and his wife Barbara (better known as Kelly Kelly) years ago at a hockey fund raiser. Talk about a good looking couple. Both very down to earth. If I didn't know better, I wouldn't have known they were celebrities. I had met Sheldon earlier. He would tease me by saying "You played hockey, you're so tiny" lol

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Komisarek was still better defensively than Xhekaj. He was playing a lot of minutes with Markov facing top line. I wouldnt want to see a pair /Matheson/Xhekaj right now. And rhis is not because I dislike Xhekaj. But, in Montreal, Komisarek had great timing to hit everybody into the D zone ans close the play rapidly. Xhekaj, this not always easy in his own zone
Komisarek a 7th overall pick benefitted from playing with Markov. Once he went to Toronto he ultimately ended up in the AHL.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Komisarek a 7th overall pick benefitted from playing with Markov. Once he went to Toronto he ultimately ended up in the AHL.
Mete was still a liability even playing with Weber. In fact, Komisarek played differently after Lucic fight. Same happenned with Byron after Weegar.
Komisarek was still a reliable stay at home Shut down defenseman playing on a top 4 and keeping a positive ratio. Xhekaj will need to prove he can eat those minutes against top line

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00