Confirmed with Link: Arber Xhekaj Signed 2 years @ 1.3 AAV

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
If at 25 he's almost a top 4 playing the 5th slot, bringing in that hard play in his zone, some offense and being a mentor to the kids we're golden.

A good young veteran on the 3rd pair will be around 2-2.5 on a 5-6 year deal and he'd be worth it at that point. He still has to bring his game at that level but i trust he can.

No I don't see a prime Petry here but his plus far outweight the minus for that slot. I much rather have him than a Mete. Let's remember Kulak took time but just was at SCF eh? Odelein is another example of a player that developpes late into a valuable player.

I love the Sherif, we needed a guy like that so bad and he's not yet the finished product! Good deal, i'd be sad, i mean kinda realy sad if he gets traded... ;)

Reactions: Redux91

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Seriously I don't see why Xhekaj can't become a top 4 D-man. He have a great shot. Great mobility, great skating, great hands, great passing ability.

People like him as a fighter, but I really like what I see from him at D. He just need to be more consistent in D zone.

He is much better D-man than Ben Chiarot and he have played top 4 with Habs lol.

Reactions: Sorinth

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Xhekaj is a solid skater who can actually play. Yes goons like Rempe might play 8 minutes per game but it is still a game of intimidation. Imagine having a player like Xhekaj who is just as tough as any good in the league but can also play close to 20 minutes per night?
I guess some did not watch the last playoffs my friend. I agree 1000% with you.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Bridge deal was necessary here. Unlike Slaf who kept improving over the entire season and finished looking like a 1st line winger, Xhekaj has had plays and stretches during a game where he shows why we think he may be a Unicorn, but its not remotely close to being consistent. And right now Xhekaj looks like a bottom pair guy with no.4D potential.

So he signs for 2 and has his chance to land the big deal in 2 years or less.

Reactions: Redux91

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
The way i see Habs D starting in 2025-2026 :

Guhle (PK1)- Reinbacher (PK2 + PP2)
Hutson (PP1) - YYY (PK1)
Xhekaj (PK2) - Mailloux (PP2)

I think what we will see with Habs D, depending on the quality of the YYY player we would acquire is a 1st pair that plays 22-23 minutes, a 2nd pair that plays 19-20 and a 3rd paid that plays 17-18 minutes.

What i like about that scenario is it facilitate longevity in the long run and lowered the chances of injuries. Also, the coach have more options and does not fera to use his 3rd pair against opponent top line. And i think Xhekaj will eventually be good enough to do that. Mailloux, not so sure defensively.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
With Guhle signed to a significant deal it should give Arber and Justin some hard perspective about where they stand with the organization. I mean, both were signed to the cheapest show-me deals that their agents would accept and the time is now for both to get it together.

It also makes one or both of them prime candidates to be traded which should light a fire under both. Arber must clean up the bad penalties or else he's gone. In my opinion it would be a big mistake to trade him but I have an attachment to this style of NHLer so it clouds my view of his warts I guess.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
With Guhle signed to a significant deal it should give Arber and Justin some hard perspective about where they stand with the organization. I mean, both were signed to the cheapest show-me deals that their agents would accept and the time is now for both to get it together.

It also makes one or both of them prime candidates to be traded which should light a fire under both. Arber must clean up the bad penalties or else he's gone. In my opinion it would be a big mistake to trade him but I have an attachment to this style of NHLer so it clouds my view of his warts I guess.

Neither are close to as good as Guhle right now and both older. Hope they take it as motivation to be solid NHLers next season and earn an extension next summer.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
The way i see Habs D starting in 2025-2026 :

Guhle (PK1)- Reinbacher (PK2 + PP2)
Hutson (PP1) - YYY (PK1)
Xhekaj (PK2) - Mailloux (PP2)

I think what we will see with Habs D, depending on the quality of the YYY player we would acquire is a 1st pair that plays 22-23 minutes, a 2nd pair that plays 19-20 and a 3rd paid that plays 17-18 minutes.

What i like about that scenario is it facilitate longevity in the long run and lowered the chances of injuries. Also, the coach have more options and does not fera to use his 3rd pair against opponent top line. And i think Xhekaj will eventually be good enough to do that. Mailloux, not so sure defensively.

I think Hutson should pair up with Reinbacher just because Reinbacher is a horse and can cover up. Let Hutson free to do his thing.

Guhle on the other hand is a rock on defense and offense. I don’t mind pairing Guhle up with Mailloux. I think Mailloux is going to be one of the better two way defenseman in the league.

When I think of Logan Mailloux I think of a bigger version of Matt Niskanen. He’s got that nastiness in him, can drop the gloves and play two way game.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

One or both along w Harris are gonzo, it’s a matter of when not IF IMO

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
Yes we all know Xhekaj is very tough, he is still only 23. He is still learning his game. Everyone on the planet knows a man does not reach his MAN body prime until 25-29. Very strong now but at 25-29 Very very very strong. Look at Slav form 19 to 20 years old. The second half of last year was just wow and he is still only 20 he won't won't begin HIS prime for 5 more years YIKES. Hughes has been doing a GREAT job turning the Habs around, yes it takes time when you start way way behind the 8 ball and add to all this the crazy year over year injuries to your top players. Fans from other team all they see is what the habs put on the ice for a game and conclude the habs aint worth shiiiiit. I remember games the habs had to put 8-10 ahl players on the ice and other fans were laughing at the habs. Just remember one day mother nature will send tornados to you back yard.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Seriously I don't see why Xhekaj can't become a top 4 D-man. He have a great shot. Great mobility, great skating, great hands, great passing ability.

People like him as a fighter, but I really like what I see from him at D. He just need to be more consistent in D zone.

He is much better D-man than Ben Chiarot and he have played top 4 with Habs lol.
His reads aren't that great and contrary to Chiarot he doesn't have an HHOFer to make him look better than he is.

But he DID look distinctly better when paired with Savard.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Hutson should pair up with Reinbacher just because Reinbacher is a horse and can cover up. Let Hutson free to do his thing.

Guhle on the other hand is a rock on defense and offense. I don’t mind pairing Guhle up with Mailloux. I think Mailloux is going to be one of the better two way defenseman in the league.

When I think of Logan Mailloux I think of a bigger version of Matt Niskanen. He’s got that nastiness in him, can drop the gloves and play two way game.

I honestly don’t think we will ever be able to properly shelter Hutson in a top 4D spot at 5/5. Think about the top 10 teams or top 5 standards in the NHL?

My plan would be both PP units and 3rd pairing minutes at 5/5. Especially on the road with last change. You could give him more 5/5 time for home games.

It’s going to be a reality some have to accept if we ever reach top 5 quality and go on deep playoff runs. One miss coverage in front of the net against more physical players and you loose the game more often than not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad