Confirmed with Link: Arber Xhekaj Signed 2 years @ 1.3 AAV

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
It made sense for both the player and team to go short term.
That's the thing eh lol

People will more likely think it's the team that didn't want to go 3 years, when there's fully reason to believe its his new agent thats the one that wanted just the 2 years to try to set up a bigger payday later lol

Either way, this the best outcome imo, didn't want to shaft Xhekaj early while we're liberating so much cash these next couple years

I thought a million was enough....lol
Read the threads
People were ready to give 2.5M for 3yrs

This is the perfect bridge

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Extremely surprised he accepted less money than Harris. I guess both Xhekaj and the organization want to put those shoulders to the test before committing long term.
I think he’s a much more valuable asset than Harris .
I’m just hoping that’s not a move from the organization to make Xhekaj an even more valuable for a future trade.
Fingers crossed he proves the team he’s an untouchable in the next couple of seasons and gets his money with his next contract.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If he does well during these two years, you then sign him to a 5-6 years contract at 3M$.

He will need to choose his fights more wisely and develops his other good traits.

I like him alot. I want him to succeed so bad with us. I feel likie he could be a big part of our future success.
stop that lol

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Good signing, Wifi has to stay healthy and improve his game. Habs will know better in two years if he is worth committing to long term.

Reactions: Benstheman

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That's the thing eh lol

People will more likely think it's the team that didn't want to go 3 years, when there's fully reason to believe its his new agent thats the one that wanted just the 2 years to try to set up a bigger payday later lol

Either way, this the best outcome imo, didn't want to shaft Xhekaj early while we're liberating so much cash these next couple years
It's a pretty standard 2 year bridge deal, like the majority of players sign coming off ELC.

Braden Schneider, whose a regular top 4 Dman on the Rangers, just signed a 2 year deal at 2M/yr...

There really was no reason for either party, to enter a long-term engagement at this present stage.

He's still trying to establish himself as a regular player in the NHL, one whose more than just a face puncher (that kind of limits your earning power) and the team is still trying to understand what kind of player they have and if he can stay healthy.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It's a pretty standard 2 year bridge deal, like the majority of players sign coming off ELC.

Braden Schneider, whose a regular top 4 Dman on the Rangers, just signed a 2 year deal at 2M/yr...

There really was no reason for either party, to enter a long-term engagement at this present stage.

He's still trying to establish himself as a regular player in the NHL, one whose more than just a face puncher (that kind of limits your earning power) and the team is still trying to understand what kind of player they have and if he can stay healthy.
Nice to see level headed, common sense posts like this.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Great deal, he's totally worth it.

Both Xhekaj are going to play some game together in the NHL this season. Ready for the fireworks???

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Great AAV. Mixed feelings about term. His injury history will either be a factor moving forward or it won’t. I believe this keeps him RFA afterwards?
What? This is a two-year deal and you’re having reservations about the term? For two years? At 1.3 million?

This is a great chance for him to prove himself, and two years is the perfect amount of time to show he’s not injury prone.

• Haha
Reactions: HabzSauce

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Nice to see level headed, common sense posts like this.
I'd love to act like it was some deep post lol but it really wasn't.

What other outcome were people expecting?

Personally, I think the hype surrounding Xhekaj is not good...his popularity amongst the fanbase is surpassing his development and probably, his ultimate ceiling.

Let's all calma!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Well. Let’s see now if MSL gives him the best chance to earn a better deal after.
let's also see if he's made strides to improve his game.

I didn't like his training camp last year and while he was better after being recalled, I didn't see the growth I was looking for.

This is going to be a big season for him, are you what you are? Or is there more?

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

He's still trying to establish himself as a regular player in the NHL, one whose more than just a face lity.puncher (that kind of limits your earning power) and the team is still trying to understand what kind of player they have and if he can stay healthy.
He obviously has decent offensive ability. And is an enforcer. He needs to prove he can be decent defensively and choose his fights carefully and try to avoid situations where he is likely to get hurt.

Reactions: Benstheman

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Why would he sign for 5-6 years at 3M/yr?

The league average salary today, on a cap at 83.5M is 3.5M/yr.

In 2 years when the cap is higher, you think he's going to sign for up to 6 years at under the league average?

If that's the case, it will have meant that he was awful over the next 2 years lol

He obviously has decent offensive ability. And is an enforcer. He needs to prove he can be decent defensively and choose his fights carefully and try to avoid situations where he is likely to get hurt.
The best thing he can do for his career, is to get away as much as possible, from this tag.

It doesn't mean he won't fight again, but when he will be so valuable on the ice, that they can't afford him sitting in the box for 5 mins because he decided to take on the other teams' face puncher...

That's when he will have taken the next step.

He's got it in him...best thing for him to ignore fans who just want him to fight for their entertainment.

Become so feared and so valuable, that no one wants to even test you.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Why would he sign for 5-6 years at 3M/yr?

The league average salary today, on a cap at 83.5M is 3.5M/yr.

In 2 years when the cap is higher, you think he's going to sign for up to 6 years at under the league average?

If that's the case, it will have meant that he was awful over the next 2 years lol
It depends. You think he will be a top 4 D?? If so, yes he will make more.

But i seriously doubt it. I still think he will be a bottom pair D with interesting qualities. But top 4?? That means he would do it at the expense of two of Guhle, Matheson, Hutson... Good luck with that.

And how do you pay a bottom pair D?

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018

This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well. The 2 year deal suits both parties here.

Reactions: jaffy27 and 417

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver
Feels like a "Show us what you got contract". Hopefully his shoulders are fine. I expect him to show the brass that they will need to negotiate soon. Pretty good for an undrafted player though. Pretty good. Happy to have him.

Fenwick McCorsi

Not impress.
Mar 3, 2013
Montreal, QC
As others have said: good for both sides. The Canadiens get to see how his progress/health go, Arber gets a nice raise and a shot at a bigger payday in two short years, win win!

I still have some PBSD from our previous regime but these logical, reasonable deals are slowly helping me recover. If Dach stays healthy and Demidov comes over as advertised I might finally be able to trust again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad